Poll: Do you feel the same way as i do?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you feel the same way as i do?
Yes, I know exactly how you feel as I feel the same way often!
28 45%
Yes, but it's not something i get often
16 26%
No i've never felt that way before.
5 8%
No, you are a freak of nature and you should be put down like that dog in Family Guy!
13 21%
Voters: 62.
Page 1 of 3
This is the Pit, so I'm not expecting anything but insanely funny abuse, but here I go..

Hey guys.

Do you ever feel really down over your inability to live up to your own lofty expectations? I write my own songs and I try to get good at playing the guitar, but progress is slow and hard to see. In the song writing department, I criticize myself a lot. A song I wrote yesterday, which I thought was great, could be the dumbest stupidest shit ever to be written, tomorrow.. I sing as well, and some days, i feel like my singing is alright, but other days, i almost break into tears because i keep doubting my abilities. I don't know if these doubts are actually grounded, or if they are simply based deep in my low self-esteem (i guess).

I also "suffer" from continuously changing my "goals" or at least the ideal i have of myself as a "professional" singer/songwriter/musician. I keep on going from wanting to be sorta like one guy and then sorta like the next and on and on, ever changing.

I can't seem to find my own voice either, always sorta imitating someone else.

Going from an up, writing a good song (or so i thought) and having a good day singing and playing, and then just plummeting into a black hole of sadness the next day is aggravating and exhausting. I've been depressed before, and i don't know if im slipping into some old habits again in that regard.

I just go from thinking that I might actually make it, that my dreams might actually come true because i might just be good enough, to thinking that i might as well give up because i suck.

Is this normal? Do you guys feel the same way sometimes? Was it too long to read, so you are just looking for funny comments?

Feel free to make fun of me (i could probably use a laugh) but i'd also appreciate some real answers ;-)

Marc
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Last edited by MarcFlink at Feb 14, 2014,
#rekt
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

You kill the thrill of making fun of you when you encourage people to do it. Idiot.
Hi, I'm Peter
Just give up now
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Dirk Gently
You kill the thrill of making fun of you when you encourage people to do it. Idiot.

Really? I totally didn't mean to..
Quote by MarcFlink
Really? I totally didn't mean to..

Yes, you did.
Hi, I'm Peter
Listen here kid.

You're not going to be a rock star.

Got it?

Ok, now say it with me: you're not going to be a rock star.

Good.

Know what you should do instead? Make money. Find a way to make as much cash as possible, legally. Money is power and power is an aphrodisiac. You can always go back to your guitar after a long day of work, but this shite about being a rock star is simply shite.

Get a career, be good at it, make money, you're depression will disappear, I guarantee it.

You don't just become confident. Confidence is a symptom. A symptom of achieving goals in life.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Listen here kid.

Got it?

Good.

Know what you should do instead? Make money. Find a way to make as much cash as possible, legally. Money is power and power is an aphrodisiac. You can always go back to your guitar after a long day of work, but this shite about being a rock star is simply shite.

Get a career, be good at it, make money, you're depression will disappear, I guarantee it.

You don't just become confident. Confidence is a symptom. A symptom of achieving goals in life.

phil being deep.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I'll tell you something and you can take it as depressing or not, but I've been playing for almost two thirds of my life and I'm still figuring most of this shit out.

When it comes to technique, you'll eventually get it if you just keep at it. I've gotten to a point where people identify me as "the guitarist", but I did it by not giving up.

As for being a professional and setting those standards and changing them all the time, that's the biggest part I'm still struggling with. I find it important to just do what you do and not give a rat's ass what anyone else will think of it. If the music is good to you, then that's all that really matters. Chances are, unless you're a total hipster proghead like me, your music will likely be accepted by someone in the mainstream. There's a market for almost everything, really. So like I said, just do what you do, and you should be fine.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Listen here kid.

Got it?

Good.

Not trying to be a rockstar. I know that it's highly unlikely. I'm just trying to get by. And I don't care about money. All i really care about is writing my songs, and it doesn't matter if im poor doing. Money isn't the issue here.
Give up and make EDM instead.

Then give up on that and start a label instead because you still love the music, you just can't make it.

Then give up on that because you're not good at business stuff.

Then start a blog

i.e. live my life
Quote by travislausch
I'll tell you something and you can take it as depressing or not, but I've been playing for almost two thirds of my life and I'm still figuring most of this shit out.

When it comes to technique, you'll eventually get it if you just keep at it. I've gotten to a point where people identify me as "the guitarist", but I did it by not giving up.

As for being a professional and setting those standards and changing them all the time, that's the biggest part I'm still struggling with. I find it important to just do what you do and not give a rat's ass what anyone else will think of it. If the music is good to you, then that's all that really matters. Chances are, unless you're a total hipster proghead like me, your music will likely be accepted by someone in the mainstream. There's a market for almost everything, really. So like I said, just do what you do, and you should be fine.

Thanks for a good answer man.

I think the real issue i have is that I keep changing my opinion on what sort of thing I should be doing, and in turn with that, the music i write needs to change, and what i wrote a while ago isn't what im looking for anymore, and my voice doesn't fit for whatever i wanna do. It's really confusing -.- Glad (sad for you too buddy) that i'm not the only one with that sort of problem..
Quote by travislausch

When it comes to technique, you'll eventually get it if you just keep at it. I've gotten to a point where people identify me as "the douche", but I did it by not giving up.

Oh yeah?
Quote by MarcFlink
Thanks for a good answer man.

I think the real issue i have is that I keep changing my opinion on what sort of thing I should be doing, and in turn with that, the music i write needs to change, and what i wrote a while ago isn't what im looking for anymore, and my voice doesn't fit for whatever i wanna do. It's really confusing -.- Glad (sad for you too buddy) that i'm not the only one with that sort of problem..

Oh dude, how old are you?

You're yeaaaars away from figuring out what 'your sound' is
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yes, you did.

Did you see the sarcastic eye roll.. That's what that means... That it was sarcasm.. Get it?
Quote by MarcFlink
Not trying to be a rockstar. I know that it's highly unlikely. I'm just trying to get by. And I don't care about money. All i really care about is writing my songs, and it doesn't matter if im poor doing. Money isn't the issue here.

Right, ok.

But once you get to my age, you'll see how much of a big deal money is.

I wish someone had had this talk with me when I was a teenager.
Quote by MarcFlink
Did you see the sarcastic eye roll.. That's what that means... That it was sarcasm.. Get it?

no

can you explain it again, please?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Philip_pepper
Right, ok.

I know how big of a deal money is (believe it or not).

I've been paying a sizable part of the money for my family's bills. I don't spend anything, as i'm saving every penny i make (that doesn't go into paying bills and necessary things like food) I also know however, that I don't need much, as I don't have all that much right now, at least compared to my fellow students and the people i know around the city.

I know the value of money, even though I'm young, since I actually have responsibilities. I don't go out drinking every weekend, cause it's too expensive (i actually never go out drinking with friends at all.)

So that sort of lecture would be better spent at someone else with different kinds of worries.

EDIT: Also, you only 4 years older than me dude.. You say that like you are freakin' Gandalf, having lived for eternity.
Last edited by MarcFlink at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by Philip_pepper
Right, ok.

Doesn't income reach diminishing returns for personal life satisfaction when it's over ~£50,000?
Stop being so self loathing and just write music.

Record shit and even if you think it sucks make it anyway. Not like anyone is going to really care about the music you make.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
Stop being so self loathing and just write music.

Record shit and even if you think it sucks make it anyway. Not like anyone is going to really care about the music you make.

Someone's parents didn't love them enough, and they became a bitter little man Kyle.. Naaah.. I'm sure your parents love you man (GET IT????? )
protip: even if one or two people think you're listenable, nearly everyone will think you suck. And being a musician isn't a career--it's an excuse you give yourself for mooching off your parents and never getting a real job

music is a hobby. You do it after work, or on the weekends, or at an established time once or twice a month with your buddies. and any further expectations makes you sound like a ******.
Listen. I'm sorry.
I have some top-notch advice for you:

1. This is the Pit and nobody is going to be nice to you and offer support, so by even making a thread here you are asking for trouble

2. If you are under the age of 20, you are still a little kid and can't ever get big because you are a little kid still. Give it a few more years and people might take you more seriously.

3. If you have a ******ed accent like Jake Bugg does, you might get big just so that people can laugh at your acccent. Consider singing in a stupid way because it might help you get big.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by MarcFlink

Nyet.
Hi, I'm Peter
@chucks lol, seriously, that's what you've got? That there are a handful of successful pro musicians means that any ****ing teenage kid on ug can do it? You must be kidding. Dudeman is better off playing the lottery for a living.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by willT08
Give up and make EDM instead.

Then give up on that and start a label instead because you still love the music, you just can't make it.

Then give up on that because you're not good at business stuff.

Then start a blog

i.e. live my life

I read your blog. You should probably give up on that and sell ass on the streets. you got plenty of it.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Philip_pepper

I've achieved quite a bit of stuff and I'm still not confident.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Listen here kid.

Got it?

Good.

i.... uh....

um....

*sighs audibly*

edit: read the rest of the thread. i mean, i thought a majority of the people in this forum were morons, now i'm not sure if i really even wanted that confirmation.
Last edited by Dregen at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by blake1221
Oh yeah?

You're absolutely right. I should just hide the fact that I worked for nearly 20 years learning to play a musical instrument from everyone so I don't look like a total asshole. Thanks for the life-changing, thought-provoking attitude, hopefully this will set me on the right path in life!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by MarcFlink
I know how big of a deal money is (believe it or not).

I've been paying a sizable part of the money for my family's bills. I don't spend anything, as i'm saving every penny i make (that doesn't go into paying bills and necessary things like food) I also know however, that I don't need much, as I don't have all that much right now, at least compared to my fellow students and the people i know around the city.

I know the value of money, even though I'm young, since I actually have responsibilities. I don't go out drinking every weekend, cause it's too expensive (i actually never go out drinking with friends at all.)

So that sort of lecture would be better spent at someone else with different kinds of worries.

EDIT: Also, you only 4 years older than me dude.. You say that like you are freakin' Gandalf, having lived for eternity.

I've seen some shit man.

I've seen some shit.

Quote by modus operandi
Doesn't income reach diminishing returns for personal life satisfaction when it's over ~£50,000?

Right. Aiming for that. It's quite viable.

But is that after or before tax?
Eventually you stop comparing your dick with guitar lengths and start to not give a shit on how your playing is compared to other guitarists.

You just have to make sure to cum sweet sweet semen on the fretboard so it gives a nice sheen.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I have the same dream as you, sir, but I think for different reasons. Music is a powerful thing, and one can stir up a lot with music. Just look at what happened in America in the 60s.
I wanna be a part of another movement with my music.

However, focusing entirely on music is the worst thing you could possibly do. I go to a prestigious music college, but I sure as hell don't get near those music majors. Those people are going to be broke failures, who are yeah, really really good at their instrument, but they get nowhere.

Music, since the 1880s, became a business.

And that is all I'm going to say. You are my competition, so f*ck you. I ain't tellin' you my methods of domination.

However, I do feel the way you do many times. I think of how much of an advantage I have over about 90% of the other musicians out there. I have confidence a lot that I'ma "make it" in the game.
But then....there are those days when I'm like "man f*ck this is stupid and unrealistic and people probably don't even like my music too much and it's so much hard work running an entire business by yourself and I haven't even learned everything about business yet and my plate is already really full with ideas and what I must do to succeed.
But it's too much. And then I get down.

Honestly, my mind is constantly revolving around music. It's always in my head, I'm always drumming on something. If I'm not paying attention, it's either music on my mind or my hormones taking over.
There is no existence in my life unless I'm playing music. That's why I exist. That's why my mind works this way, it's like telling me something I must make something out of it. I have more stage energy than most professional acts I've seen I need to do this.
Then I get scared. I can't do it man I just can't. And what life will I live? Utilize my shitty liberal arts business degree and get a shitty job in a shitty office working with shitty people who are complacent with the way society works.
I can't do that, so I just figure if it doesn't work out, may as well kill myself and hang out in hell with Satan!

I said that optimistically, but really, that's frighteningly the only option in my head. However, I have about 10 years of work more to do before I'm out of my prime and people stop giving a shit about me cuz I'm old.

Marc, if you're young, get a move on your dreams NOW. Get off this f*cking website it sucks you in with stupidity. Trust me, this site is addicting and takes away from my work on advertising and getting better at guitar (so I can melt faces).

And that's all I've got. I'm a businessman, Marc, and I suggest you jump on the same wagon, or else you will not sustain yourself. You may get signed, but there's no true freedom in that. You must do it yourself. All the money will go to you, to invest further in your business.

I've told you too much.
Double post I don't care:

The Pit gives you a lot of shit if you have musical dreams. You found me though, Marc.

If you wanna discuss things man, PM me. For some reason I like you and we can bounce our ideas off and whatnot yeah
Yeah, man I totallly vouch for SunshineMusicO we go way back he feels you I feel him we're all getting our dick sucked here what do we have to lose
Quote by MarcFlink
This is the Pitt, so I'm not expecting anything but insanely funny abuse, but here I go..

This is all I read.

I'll be honest, I don't know why you expect 'insanely funny abuse'. The Pit doesn't have that. Just kind of general slightly humorous abuse.
Page 1 of 3