So following from my cheap Bugera cab thread last night which I've decided against... I'm now considering selling my 333XL and getting something else.

Seen a 1960A JCM900 for like 300-350 so that should cover the cab part.

The rest of the budget would have to be about up to ~850 max (used too). I'm in Australia too just for reference.

There's a mint Vintage Modern 100w available for like 750-800 (including shipping) which is a real steal but anything else I should consider? Not sure if there is much around that price anyway. I really like the Marshall sound which I don't think my amp does that well (crunch channel).. kind of like a modeller vs the real thing. Also it generally should be ok to ship an amp head too (??).

I mostly play stuff like Zep, Floyd, Mastodon, Sabbath, Tool, Soundgarden, Pantera, AC/DC, The Who, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Hendrix, Melvins and everything between. Guitar is a Gibson SG faded and looking to get a MIM Strat too eventually.
That VM is a good price, but you may want to look for a used JCM2000 DSL50/100. The JCM2000 DSL is a better more versatile amp IMO. I have the 100 watt head and it is excellent for what you listed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
there seems to be a couple of them for the same price too, which is good and I would be able to pick it up in person which is a big plus.

I've heard some people think they aren't very good (coughmarshallforum)... I'm sure they can do the higher gain stuff quite well but what about a Plexi style Zep live sound (think song remains the same) and AC/DC kind of sounds.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 14, 2014,
Yeah they can do a good plexi tone, but you have to run the classic crunch channel with the volume maxed and use the gain to control the volume.

Most people do the opposite, crank the gain and use the volume for the well volume. This will get you a decent JCM800 tone.

The cleans are very nice, but the clean is on the classic channel along with the classic crunch so you can not foot switch between them. You can roll off the volume on the guitar and it will clean up pretty decent (I do this a lot).

The ultra channel will do any of the harder music you want with in reason.

Go test one out and see for your self
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ok I think will test one out, obviously can't do that with a VM though... :/

Just a question, does the DSL sound quite aggressive especially on lower gain? That's probably one thing I don't like about my Bugera is it always sounds like a metal amp even if you lower the gain... when you dial down the gain on the DSL does it sound low gain metal or 'proper' rock like AC/DC style?

I was trying out my amp today on like 12 o clock @ master and channel volumes on crunch channel with lower gain to see if there was decent power tube distortion.. nope just metal and horrible clarity.. sounded like a big pile of distortion and 0 note clarity. the gain would have been like 9 o clock too.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 14, 2014,
Yep, I'll vouch for the DSL50/100 as well. Awesome amp. One of the larger Jet City heads or a Peavey JSX would do well too.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Jet City are also a quite reasonable price as I saw before, will have a look at them also.

My current amp is a clone of a JSX so no thanks :p
Quote by Badmotorfingers
ok I think will test one out, obviously can't do that with a VM though... :/

Just a question, does the DSL sound quite aggressive especially on lower gain? That's probably one thing I don't like about my Bugera is it always sounds like a metal amp even if you lower the gain... when you dial down the gain on the DSL does it sound low gain metal or 'proper' rock like AC/DC style?

Yeah it does the classic rock thing just fine. The ultra channels are the really aggressive channel. I like boosting the classic crunch channel and you can get some really nice 80's tones

The deep switch is nice (almost always on), the tone shift absolutely sucks (I never use it)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 14, 2014,
You know, people keep saying the 333 and JSX are supposed to sound similar but I just don't see it

You compared them Rob?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah it does the classic rock thing just fine. The ultra channels are the really aggressive channel. I like boosting the classic crunch channel and you can get some really nice 80's tones

The deep switch is nice (almost always on), the tone shift absolutely sucks (I never use it)

I don't mind (and is good to have) an aggressive channel as long as I can have a less metal sounding 'rock' channel.

Quote by classicrocker01
You know, people keep saying the 333 and JSX are supposed to sound similar but I just don't see it

You compared them Rob?

well whatever the difference I don't want another totally ultra modern sounding amp.
Quote by classicrocker01

You compared them Rob?

Yeah I had a JSX and I had a 333 (not the 333xl) very similar amps. Most people would be very hard pressed to tell them apart. I will say the cleans on the 333 are way better than the XXX.

I prefer the JCM2000 DSL100 to both
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 14, 2014,
Agreed on the DSL, just mentioning the JSX for the sake of having options
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by marianoarnaiz
Laney Iron heart series check them out!

good amps, but way too modern for what TS wants
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So I tried a DSL100h and it was killer, day and night between mine and I hear the older JCM2000 DSL100s are even better. Would not be disappointed with that.

Did try it through a 1960 vintage (with v30s) so that might have made a difference too, compared to g12t-75s which is probaby what I would end up with. Can't afford to spend $1k on a cabinet... I guess if I didn't like the g12ts I could always sell them and replace with v30s.

Also the lower gain channel sounded quite nice, but didn't have very much gain but I guess the master would need to be cranked more. Always could put a boost pedal to push it more as well.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 15, 2014,
ok been searching a bit, came up with these as options to the DSL100H.

Egnater Tweaker 40
Egnater Rebel 30
Jet City JCA50H
Jet City JCA100HDM
Hughes & Kettner Statesman Dual EL34
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36

opinions? I'm guessing the marshall will still give me what I want the most though. I assume the Jet City(s?) probably sound too modern for my tastes too. Don't really know much about the others.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 16, 2014,
Go for a JCM2000 DSL50/100 leave the DSL100h alone, they are nothing when compared to the original JCM DSL series.

I did not like the H&K tubemeister at all, too fizzy/buzzy in the gain for my tastes and IMO too pricey for what your getting

You might want to look at the Egnater Renegade
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have read quite a few threads about this and some people claim the DSL100H is better while some say the older ones are better, seems to be a matter of opinion. Have you tried the new one? I know the one in the shop I tried sounded killer but then again I haven't played a JCM2000.

I heard the new ones also seem to have some bugs fixed from the older ones but probably if I find one that's like 5-10 years old and still working then it should be fine. Do you know when the updates were made for reliability I think, early 2000s or something? Would a 2004 be ok?

As for new vs old, probably the difference is not worth $200-300 even if I like the pentode/triode switch and resonance control over the deep switch. If the JCM2000 sounds better than there is no debate.

Just another question, does the old one have as much gain as the new one on lead 2 or at least fairly close? I imagine they're probably voiced exactly the same though.

As for other amps, I don't think going for anything other than a DSL would be right. Thinking of my current situation (i.e. can't crank a plexi/jcm800/wizard etc) I couldn't really think of much else I'd choose even with an unlimited budget.. maybe a JVM410 or Bogner XTC/Fish. Heard a clip of a EVH 5153 and DSL and the DSL sounded better... crazy.

sorry for too many questions and rambling :P
Yes I have played the new DSL100h and it is not a horrible amp, but the JCM2000 sounds better to me (less fizz in the gain)

yes the first few years of the JCM2000 there was an overheating issue in the power section. Yes 2004+ models should be fine.

The JCM DSL and the new DSL are not exactly the same (even though you would think they were because of the name) but they are similar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok cool, so the JCM2000 is just as raw if not more than the DSL100H? I did think the 100H did sound a little bit fizzy or digital like diode clipping on Lead 2 but it still sounded good though.

also, what kind of fx loop does the DSL have? I can't remember if it is series or parallel that takes multi fx like the g-major well which I have. though I will probably sell it and replace with a few individual pedals eventually.

appreciate the help