I've decided to get a practice amp for home but I'm not sure what I should be getting. I wanna be able to move it around the house if I want. Also, I don't want to spend more than $500.00 for it. I play more classic rock, some country, Kings of Leon, big wreck etc. The choices I have at the local guitar shop are...Crate, Ampeg, Yorkville, Behringer, Ibanez, Fender, Boss, Digitek, Blackheart, Marshall, Vox, Line6, Traynor and Roland. I don't care if it's tube or SS. Just the best for the money and I know that's not a great budget but it's all I have and I'm tired of being stuck in the basement.
Thanks guys
Classic 30 springs to mind. Where you located, roughly?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
If you want reeeally good cleans get an ampeg GVT.
If you value distorted stuff more find either a jet city 20/50w combo or a peavey vypyr tube or a bugera V22.

Damn it's the second time I get ninja'd by you today Dylan :P
Yeah anyway, the classic 30 would be nice, too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
From the manufacturers listed, as it's just a practice amp I'd suggest possibly a Vox VT40+.

Great little modelling amp that will do the genres you mentioned, although if you ever wanted to do metal it's not the best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm in Ontario Canada and I already have a Peavey Delta Blues. I don't wanna lug that thing up and down the stairs, two flights, lol. I want something easier to move around.
Great reviews on the Vox 40T. Not too big to lug around. I'll check it out, thanks. I'll check out anything you guys suggest. I like to shop around and be sure before I spend my $$
Last edited by Vblue at Feb 14, 2014,
Here's an idea to consider. Sell the DB, get a head and a couple 1x12 cabs, and just lug the head back and forth.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

A fender champion 20w or 40w could be a great option for you. Good modelling and light weight but not a valve amp. A xox valve reactor could also be worth looking at but if it's anything like my ac15, it may be heavy as he'll. good luck with your purchase.
A practice amp with a small speaker, but with speaker out jack is easy to carry around the house and plug to a bigger cab when needed. I also recommend getting one with auxiliary input if used for practice.
I can highly recommend the Fender Mustang amp, it's got alot of different sounds, and it's easy to download specific band sounds with the Fender Fuse software.
Great amp for home practice!
The Blackstar ID 30 is -for me- a very good practice amp
The ID:30 boasts many of the same unique features and functionality as the larger ID models but in a compact combo format making it perfect for home recording and practising.

30W programmable combo
True Valve Power - LOUD as Valve™
Voice - select from 6 classic channels
Manual Mode
EQ with patented ISF
128 user storable patches
Multi effects - 4 x modulations, 4 x delays, 4 x reverbs
Master Volume

USB connectivity - easily edit and record
GUI software for deep editing, practice and sharing
MP3/Line Input
Speaker Emulated Output
Built-in tuner
Revolutionary tone
Multi-function footswitch (supplied separately)
12" speaker
I was looking at a Line 6 Spyder because it has a 12" celestian speaker in it. But I've seen by previous posts for someone else that nobody really digs these amps. I'm curious as to why?
They sound pretty bad and have had some reliability issues. If you're wanting to go the route of as modeler, a Peavey Vypyr tube is definitely the ticket.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I didn't have reliability problems with my old Spider 4 Line 6. It was the tone issue for me. I thought it was good for about a year. I guess I started to listen to it more, and sold her off shortly after.
I did play the Vox Nighttrain. Not bad, but not what I was looking for at the time.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I think the reliability issues were with the older incarnations of the Spider, but since TS didn't specify, I thought I would mention it.

At any rate, the Spider is hardly worth your time.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by ryanbwags
From your sig: MXR: Big Muff Pi

Really?
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If it is strickly a home practice amp and you don't mind people hearing you on the street or your neighbors hearing you get a tube amp. If you want good distortion at lower volumes a GOOD solid state amp is much better for that.

I had a vox valvetronics and a marshall avt50 and they were great for the house. the 15 and 20 watt tube amps not so much. Even the 5 watt blackstar shakes the walls when you get it sounding good. What I use now is a 15 watt solid state amp. Much more manageable than the bigger stuff I have.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 14, 2014,
Quote by GaryBillington
Really?

Yeah, I can't remember how to fix that.
I'm surprised no one else ever called me out.
There.
I absolutely love all the recommendations for home amps that can hang with a drummer with the volume on 3. Makes absolute sense. Keep them coming.
Quote by cheesefries
I absolutely love all the recommendations for home amps that can hang with a drummer with the volume on 3. Makes absolute sense. Keep them coming.

I'm sensing a little hostility here...?

That's why the recommendations are for amps that also come with knobs that have a 2 and a 1 around them...

Or are you implying that a lesser amp turned up louder would be a better choice?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 14, 2014,
LOL. I didn't get the sarcasm until Arby911 mentioned it. I'm open to other suggestions then. I respect the responses of everyone. I know you're all trying to help me decide. It's a hard decision to be honest. Without me starting anything here, are you saying that too much amp will not sound good at lower levels? Whatever I get for home use will not be used along side a drummer.
Last edited by Vblue at Feb 14, 2014,
Quote by Vblue
LOL. I didn't get the sarcasm until Arby911 mentioned it. I'm open to other suggestions then. I respect the responses of everyone. I know you're all trying to help me decide. It's a hard decision to be honest. Without me starting anything here, are you saying that too much amp will not sound good at lower levels? Whatever I get for home use will not be used along side a drummer.

That's a common misconception. Some amps do need to be cranked a bit to perform at their best, but almost any amp with a Master Volume can be used without issue in a home setting.

While a tube amp CAN get loud, there's no requirement that it MUST.

And since 'good' is so subjective, that's not really an answerable question.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ryanbwags
There.

One of those bizarre things that just leaps out of that page at you. For all I know I could have seen it 100s of times without noticing!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by cheesefries

You haven't played with MY drummer

The Traynor is not that loud - had one in the studio and had to get up to 5 to keep up with the drummer.

Anyway - low wattage options are also great, just got a 5 watt tube Marshall Class5. Orange Tiny Terror is also a great option.
Agreed with what Arby said, TS. Yes, tube amps sound best cranked up a bit. However, master volume tube amps usually sound absolutely fine at reasonable volumes. They generally have much more feeling to the sound than solid state amps IMO, even at low volume. Hell, I use a 100 watt tube head and 4x12 cab in my apartment. Not because I need the volume or huge setup, but because it sounds the best to me, even quietly.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by cheesefries

soldano SLO, sunn 1200S, marshall 1959 or a blackface twin. or anything without a master volume really.

even a 1 watt amp can make over 100 dB at 1m.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Please excuse my noob ignorance but diabolical mentioned a Tiny Terror. Wouldn't that require a cabinet to connect to? Is that not just a head or can it be used as both? Sorry I am very new to all this. I'm embarrassed to even ask this but I can't learn if I don't. I just assumed that all they did was power a cab?
They made a head and combo version.

One thing to consider TS, a head and a 1x12 cab are very easy to carry, easier than a combo IMO.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Feb 15, 2014,
A lot of people like to get different cabs than what these combos offer for variety of reasons, a 2x12 for example instead of the 1x12 in the Tiny Terror combo. If you get the lunchbox head you can pair it with other speakers. The combo comes with an excellent celestion speaker though but for that price you can possibly get a 2x12 from another manufacturer.

Here's a review of the Tiny Terror if you need to know more:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/OrangeTinyTerror/OrangeTinyTerrorCombo.htm
I have just bought the Roland Cube. It was a toss up between the Vox Valvetronix and the Roland and the Roland won. It just had a nice crisper sound, I think maybe the Vox was intended to sound a bit more vintage but overall the Roland was the better of the two.