Page 41 of 41
zenny301
10 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Sure, you'll need a powered wedge of some sort but it's pretty commonly suggested here for those that use MFX.

Thank you so much! I was making sure if it's possible before i make any purchases. Do you have any advice which one to buy? Since i'm using the stage monitor instead of guitar amp. Thanks much!
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
has anybody tried a TBX tone control on a tele?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/potentiometers-knobs-for-fretted-instruments/fender-tbx-tone-control?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfP82hKTAhsYHKqCRl8cbTodFue2VIkbhOSMOBjodDyAaAo8j8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-adid^92768982627-device^c-plaid^62390521681-sku^361264000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

is there something else out there that is similar?

i am also thinking about rewiring a LP with one. not sure on that though, but curious.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for
3,852 IQ
How would I most easily and safely go about removing paint from a pedal? If you have seen pictures of my board, you have probably seen a dull-green colored pedal with an octopus drawn on it. That is a Micro POG. A friend coated it in a really neat paintjob, then coated it in the dull green paintjob for whatever reason, then sold it to me for $20.

I would like to get the paint off to reveal the stock graphic as well as possible. I imagine I would need to take out the guts and dip the housing in paint thinner and go to town on the top layers?
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Will Lane
How would I most easily and safely go about removing paint from a pedal? If you have seen pictures of my board, you have probably seen a dull-green colored pedal with an octopus drawn on it. That is a Micro POG. A friend coated it in a really neat paintjob, then coated it in the dull green paintjob for whatever reason, then sold it to me for $20.

I would like to get the paint off to reveal the stock graphic as well as possible. I imagine I would need to take out the guts and dip the housing in paint thinner and go to town on the top layers?

I don't think there is a way to do this. the thinner/stripper will take off the original design too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
There is a way to do it but it takes patience. Dipping won't do it. Work like a fine arts restorer working on cleaning an old master or trying to reveal an underpainting: you have to use thinner in extremely small, diluted amounts on a rag or sponge with gentle wiping.

I'd start on the sections away from the design you want to keep and work inwards. That way, you have a feel for how much work it takes to get to the next layer.

I would also take a photo of the design, just in case.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Wow. A one-hit wonder from NZ?

Just looking at that clip, I'd say it was a guitar synth pedal or rack unit, and he happened to be using an early wireless system that had a telescopic antenna.

The way he fooled around with it may have just been for show, but it is possible it affected the signal in some way, just like doing likewise with a TV antenna would.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
my brain is not working today.

if i just run two poweramp tubes in my blue voodoo to get it at half power, i halve the ohms, right? and use a cab of the halved ohms?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
my brain is not working today.

if i just run two poweramp tubes in my blue voodoo to get it at half power, i halve the ohms, right? and use a cab of the halved ohms?

Half power, half ohms, standard cab.

EX: If you normally run an 8 ohm cab in the 8 ohm jack, place the same 8 ohm cab in the 4 ohm jack.

This is a desired, but not absolutely necessary, step. General consensus seems to be that even if you don't change the load it will work fine. (You've reduced the input power, giving you more safety factor.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 10, 2016,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
what would you all recommend for an oscilloscope? and DVOM? i want the meter to be able to test caps and diodes.

at the moment i am using a nice snap on meter (but its more geared on auto work).
i have a hakko soldering station which is all i need. as far as tools go i have everything else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what would you all recommend for an oscilloscope? and DVOM? i want the meter to be able to test caps and diodes.

at the moment i am using a nice snap on meter (but its more geared on auto work).
i have a hakko soldering station which is all i need. as far as tools go i have everything else.

Budget?

If you're looking for inexpensive and have a decent laptop, something like this might work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSmart-DDS120-Pro-Oscilloscope-20MHz-PC-Based-USB-Digital-Storage-Portable-/300992154516?hash=item461487cb94:g:zKYAAOxyNmZTkDfb

Alternatively, this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-2230-100MHz-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-w-over-70-BNC-Load-/162075395122?hash=item25bc724432:g:tPwAAOSwInxXOKtP
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 27, 2016,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by Arby911

Budget would probably be $200 for the scope.

For the meter maybe $175?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Budget would probably be $200 for the scope.

For the meter maybe $175?

Fluke 115 will do everything you mentioned, and Fluke makes good, solid gear.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/products.htm?item=115&ref=gbase&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4J-6BRD3h_KIoqijwvkBEiQAfcPiBcZCO3tcNP311wf7XMt6JnzC3UHbt64gLO3nSXssX90aApsV8P8HAQ

The Scope in the second link above is plenty for what you want to do (I'm assuming troubleshooting audio gear?) and should last a lifetime. (It's actually MORE than you need, since you don't need digital storage capability, but it's a good piece of gear. )

This one would work fine as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HITACHI-V-1050F-OSCILLOSCOPE-100MHZ-S03017045-/282043697909?hash=item41ab1d4af5:g:d8IAAOSwGeBXPms~

You might get this 115 cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-115-NEAR-MINT-NEW-STYLE-TRUE-RMS-MULTIMETER-/322119009254?hash=item4affca03e6:g:sg0AAOSwixtXQx3C
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 27, 2016,
nick.culliton
not a real lobster
849 IQ
Chorus before tremolo, or after tremolo?

I'm getting a Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension tomorrow and also setting up my board for a bi-amp rig. The DC-3 only has a mono input, but stereo outputs. I currently have a mono tremolo pedal, so I'm forced to run tremolo -> chorus.

I've been considering changing for a stereo tremolo so I can run chorus -> tremolo instead, but I'm not sure if I care enough to make the switch. Does anyone have experience with both ways?
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by nick.culliton
Chorus before tremolo, or after tremolo?

I'm getting a Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension tomorrow and also setting up my board for a bi-amp rig. The DC-3 only has a mono input, but stereo outputs. I currently have a mono tremolo pedal, so I'm forced to run tremolo -> chorus.

I've been considering changing for a stereo tremolo so I can run chorus -> tremolo instead, but I'm not sure if I care enough to make the switch. Does anyone have experience with both ways?

i have my tremolo after my chorus on one of my boards, the opposite on the other. makes no sense, but that is what works for those boards.

experiment.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
nick.culliton
not a real lobster
849 IQ
I suppose I can try both ways in mono, just not stereo. In my mind it doesn't really seem like it would matter where tremolo goes unless chorus was affected by signal strength. The Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter looks really tempting, however. I currently use a Throne Room Tremolo. It's analog and sounds fantastic, just doesn't support stereo.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Okay folks. Not sure if I need a thread for this but I thought I would try here first.

Looking at some cheap studio monitors so I can dink around with stuff and was stuck on a couple of choices. Are they decent or is there anything else better?

I was looking at the Alesis Elevate 5 or the KRK Rokit 5 G3. I would probably get a pair and maybe use an old sub I have kicking around. Does that seem like a decent plan for an intro monitor set?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
2,594 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Okay folks. Not sure if I need a thread for this but I thought I would try here first.

Looking at some cheap studio monitors so I can dink around with stuff and was stuck on a couple of choices. Are they decent or is there anything else better?

I was looking at the Alesis Elevate 5 or the KRK Rokit 5 G3. I would probably get a pair and maybe use an old sub I have kicking around. Does that seem like a decent plan for an intro monitor set?

Check out the Alesis M1 Active MkII's, personally preferred them to the cheaper KRKs. They're not overly expensive for the pair and have a nice sound.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
gabe09196
37 IQ
Quick question, is $450 fair for an 8-month-old Fender MiM strat?

It was bought new at our local music store here on Guam for $699.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
A 36% discount for lightly used gear isn't too bad...as long as it is actually lightly used.

alhaq369
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for
3,852 IQ
Does playing a bass through a guitar amp pose any risks for the amp? I keep seeing a lot of conflicting information. Over-stretching the guitar-voiced speaker is the primary issue, which makes sense when comparing the frequencies the guitar speaker is meant to produce to the low tones a bass signal sends. But, that does not make sense to me when you consider a POG which has sub octaves put into the signal.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
It won't damage the amp itself, just the speaker. If you want to play bass through it you need something with a long throw, like say an evm12L.
A POG doesn't have the same attack as a bass guitar so it doesn't damage anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
jdflipside
10 IQ
What is the difference between the Ibanez TCM50 and the TMC50E. Looking to buy, brand new TMC50E is cheaper it would seem, but I can't find the difference.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ I'm not sure. It's entirely possible they're the same (they don't look much different) but you might be better to ask in the acoustic forum to find out for sure.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 23, 2016,