Page 2 of 47
Alright, I got a question.

Balanced 12AX7 for the Phase Inverter. Notable benefit, or stupid myth?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

If you're an audiophile it might matter, for guitar amps - not so much.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Offworld92

Stupid myth. One, the PI isn't balanced no matter what you do because of how it works. Two, the two halves of the triode are going to age at different rates. Three, the power tubes themselves will age at different rates.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
What is JFET technology and how does it work?

I've heard it used mainly what sounds like as a replacement for diode clipping in the gain stages of boosts/OD/distortions.

I've also heard a couple of people claim its some pretty advanced stuff.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Honestly, it's a lot more complex than can be covered in one post. In short, it's a Junction Field Effect Transistor. They can be used in numerous ways, some sound good, some don't. It's not even remotely complex. Any idiot can design a FET gain stage. Anyone claiming that it's advanced is an idiot, or trying to sell you something.

It's not a replacement for diode clipping. Though one way to use FETs is to use the individual junctions as diodes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Do graphic EQs affect the amp's EQ section or the amp's output signal whilst in the effects loop?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
The loop is after the tone stack so it affects what hits the power amp, not what hits the preamp (ie. the tone stack). In front of the amp, an EQ will affect the dynamics of the preamp distortion, in the loop it is modifying what the preamp has already done.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by N_J_B_B
Do graphic EQs affect the amp's EQ section or the amp's output signal whilst in the effects loop?

Depends on the loop and EQ. Some amps have a crappy loop that's just a break after the tone stack, and anything placed in the loop will screw with the amp's frequency response and the range of the tone controls, along with output level if the EQ is run at pedal level (-10dBV). A properly designed effects loop will isolate the amp's tone controls from the loop driver, and you won't see any change in how the tone controls operate. And as long as there's a recovery stage, you shouldn't notice any drop in output, though you may need to twiddle the master or return level control depending on the design.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Honestly, it's a lot more complex than can be covered in one post.

Quote by mmolteratx
It's not even remotely complex.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
cool modifying the gain before the power amp infront of the amp sounds like it could be fun

and ^
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Well, what I mean is the theory behind a FET is pretty complex. Its practical uses and circuit design around them is not. Like pretty much any electronic component. Explaining what a FET is in technical terms and then going into how they work and what the field effect is, and the difference in performance when compared to a BJT wouldn't be terribly useful, as the only way to understand that is to have a reasonable knowledge of electronics under your belt. And that knowledge isn't needed to design pedals or music circuits (usually).
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Feb 17, 2014,
Quote by mmolteratx
Well, what I mean is the theory behind a FET is pretty complex. Its practical uses and circuit design around them is not. Like pretty much any electronic component. Explaining what a FET is in technical terms and then going into how they work and what the field effect is, and the difference in performance when compared to a BJT wouldn't be terribly useful, as the only way to understand that is to have a reasonable knowledge of electronics under your belt. And that knowledge isn't needed to design pedals or music circuits (usually).

Yeah, I'm just ****ing with you.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Take the old one out and measure it. The dimensions are on the ad. If it's the right size then yeah, switchcraft are solid kit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mesa Boogie 5/50 for $700 Canadian. Is that a good deal just looking for opinions. I've been looking for a Peavey JSX with no luck how does this amp compare?

I play mainly metal but I would something that is well rounded and can play cleans.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by UFC on VHS
Mesa Boogie 5/50 for $700 Canadian. Is that a good deal just looking for opinions. I've been looking for a Peavey JSX with no luck how does this amp compare?

I play mainly metal but I would something that is well rounded and can play cleans.

The Express 5:50 and 5:25 aren't regarded nearly as highly as most Mesas, though I liked the 5:25 I heard well enough. I don't believe they're a good choice for metal, though. I believe they're considered lower gain than most Mesas. I think a better option might be the F series from Mesa.

I know nothing about Canadian prices, sorry.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
As stated in the other thread, $700 is a good deal for that, but you're not going to get a metal tone from that.
A JSX on the other hand will do metal just fine, and it will have cleans decent enough to be played if you're mostly into distorted stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok thank you guys I guess the MESA is out just gonna have to wait to find my JSX
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by Ippon
Thoughts on those EHX pedals with 2 preamp tubes?

I had the English Muff for a brief bit and didn't care for it at all. Sold it off immediately. Seemed very gimmicky as well as a clunky bit of kit. Seems there are far better pedals out there but I'm not a pedal guys. I have no experience with the others. Not very helpful I know.
recommend me a good high gain metal guitar head thats not too expensive but decent for small-medium gigs?
That prolly deserves it's own thread, could get lengthy
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan

Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
^ com' on that's not cheap
Well if isn't the 5150 III you can get it for cheap, but in that case a 6505+ or a Vypyr tube would be better.
Quote by xtrife
recommend me a good high gain metal guitar head thats not too expensive but decent for small-medium gigs?
Jet City!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Hey guys, back again

I was wondering if anyone mass produced a 4x12 cabinet with an open back, or with ported sides, etc., just because, depending on the players settings, a 4x12 is a death laser if you step in front of it.

Thanks
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by AWACS
Hey guys, back again

I was wondering if anyone mass produced a 4x12 cabinet with an open back, or with ported sides, etc., just because, depending on the players settings, a 4x12 is a death laser if you step in front of it.

Thanks

mesa boogie made a 1/2 open 1/2 closed 4x12. i think VHT makes a straight open 4x12, so does bogner i think. i think there is a number of 'convertible' ob/cb cabs, the only one i can readily think might do that is avatar (doesn't help canadians)

you can convert any cabinet to open back, just make a new back board for it from baltic ply or mdf.

but if you are having beaming issues and you like most the other aspects of the cab then maybe you should use some beam dispersers.

http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

they are supposed to disperse high freqs. i have never used them so i can't really speak on how effective they are. i should also mention that i have heard you can get a very similar effect by just placing tape on the grill of the cabinet in front of each speaker
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I had the English Muff for a brief bit and didn't care for it at all. Sold it off immediately. Seemed very gimmicky as well as a clunky bit of kit. Seems there are far better pedals out there but I'm not a pedal guys. I have no experience with the others. Not very helpful I know.

Thanks!
I liked the Muff'n. Only had it three hours before it broke, but it sounded nice when working.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

So (Ippon), I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy an Royal Atlantic in a couple days. I was wondering if my cabinet, a Blackstar HTV-212 would be able to handle it. It has an RMS of 160 watts, iirc, so 80 watts per speaker, and the RA is a 100 watt amp. Will these co-operate? What happens if I run two speaker outs of the RA at 8 ohms into the two 16 ohm ins on the 2x12? This is bad, right?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Yes, it'll handle the power. You'll want to run one cable, and match the impedance on the amp and cab.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Yeah, the RA has 8 ohm out, and the HTV-212 has an 8 ohm mono in. Now silly question, if it has an 8 ohm mono in, it is using BOTH speakers right? But only has one signal coming into the cab. I understand, but don't at the same time, haha.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Yes, it is using both speakers, they are probably wired parallel. Remember in school when they talked about series and parallel wiring?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yes, both speakers will run. You would only use the stereo inputs if you were wanting to run more than one head.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I have a Marshall amp and an Mg412a cab (4x12 celestion speakers) and I've just bought a bass. Does anyone know if these speakers can handle bass frequencies safely? It will only be used in my bedroom so less than 1 on the volume. I'm not asking if it will sound good just if it will be able to handle it.

I have a 7-string in dropped A and a 6-string in dropped B and the amp sounds great to me (the low A on my 7-string is an A1, same as a bass' A string just for refence.).

Thanks guys.
Yeah, they'll be allright.
Though, the MG celestion speakers are a lot of stuff I will not list, and they'll not sound good in any case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Seventy 80's will handle a bass? They barely handle guitar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No one's posting questions to answer so I will!

When I switch my amp onto standby after playing the tubes will click a little and sometimes I will hear a little click about 10-15mins later - same sound.

Is this just the tubes contracting after the heat from play? Or should I be worried?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Nah, it's just normal cooling.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Seventy 80's will handle a bass? They barely handle guitar.
Are they even Seventy80's in the MG412 cab?
My old MG had custom designed speakers.

Anyway I didn't say it would have sounded good, just they wouldn't have been damaged.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola