Page 5 of 47
I was using 9-46 D'Addarios (EXL125) for drop D on a 24.75" scale length with a lot of success.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SG's are 24.75"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The ones that feel best to you.

To give a non smart ass answer, anything between 9-46 and 10-52 will be ideal for most people. But you can use a 38 or a 42 or a 56 or a 60 for that low D. It's all been done before and it's all preference.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
strings are relative cheap, so try different gauges and manufacturers. its worth the few dollars when you find the right string.

you may change over time, thats fine, thats normal.

i use 11-49 D'addarios for at least 5 years. before that it was GHS for maybe a year and prior to that ernie ball. MY(emphasizing my preference which is different for everything. some brands last longer for different people. skin chemistry is different so some brands may not last as long as others.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Godamn it man, do you have King Kong's fingers? Or are you tuning down to something ridiculous? I use 11-49 for slide!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have volume issues so Princeton seems natural. But I hear Princeton is inferior in terms of tone.
Advice?
^ make a new thread stating your budget, what you're gonna be playing with it, your location, your current gear and if you're willing to buy something used.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
What sort of voicing is an 12AU7 power tube? Never heard of them before
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
It's not actually a power tube, it is a low gain preamp tube. A dual triode like a 12AX7 but much lower gain. I have seen tiny sub 1W amps use them as a power tube but I've never heard one. They run the two triodes in a class a/b push/pull configuration.
That's all I can tell you really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah this one's in a two watter.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
How to get Zakk wylde's Miracle man sound?

A bandmante told me it might sound better with what we are currently doing, but I know very little about equalization.

Gear: Marshall MG 30DFX, and an Epiphone swingster
Thanks in advance
when you say a swingster do you mean an emperor swingster?

i'm assuming he was using a jcm800 with an sd1 as a boost and his les paul with EMGs. that's what he normally uses. so you really want to get as close to that as you can which your budget will allow- ballpark gear rather than exactly the same, in other words.

how much money do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
I have a custom edition swingster, I have as much money as any other 17 year old trying to have a band has, which is not much.

And since I'm still recovering finacially from buying my guitar, I'll put my question in another way, can I just get as close to zakk's sound without buying anything immediately.
Quote by rprdo
I have a custom edition swingster, I have as much money as any other 17 year old trying to have a band has, which is not much.

And since I'm still recovering finacially from buying my guitar, I'll put my question in another way, can I just get as close to zakk's sound without buying anything immediately.

not enough information to provide a good answer. list your gear and whether you will need this tone in a band environment.

but a quick answer is: no, you probably won't get zakk wylde's tone because he is probably better than you are and you will be very, very, very hard pressed to sound like the studio albums you have heard him perform on because record companies spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce that sound.

but keeping that in mind, you can download some software (like the free version of amplitube) and get some zakk wylde sounding tones from it if you are hard pressed for cash. that costs nothing if you already have a computer.

edit: i see you already listed you gear earlier. the MG will be hard pressed to sound like zakk's rig.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 7, 2014,
But Zakk endorses MG's!!

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ you mean marketing's a lie!?!?!?!?
No, that can't be!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by rprdo

i suspected that might be the case

no worries, we'll do our best, but don't expect to absolutely nail it

select your bridge pickup and make sure your guitar's tone and volume knobs are fully turned up

select the distortion channel on the amp.

try the tone and gain knobs all at 12 o'clock and see how that sounds. if it's too distorted, turn down the gain, if it's not distorted enough, turn it up a bit.

then it's pretty much a similar plan with the tone controls-

if it's too bright turn down the treble knob; if it's too dull turn it up

if your tone is too scooped/hollow, turn up the mids; if it's too nasal/honky turn the mids down

if your tone is muddy/not tight enough on the bass, turn down the bass knob; conversely if it's too thin turn the bass up

I apologise if that advice is too basic but hopefully it might help a little

EDIT: gumbi has good advice there, too- as he says, even with high end gear you'll struggle to nail it exactly and aiming for a ballpark sound is normally less frustrating and more easily achievable. Getting free downloadable software, assuming you have a computer, is probably also worth a try. I've never used it but if it's free it shouldn't carry much risk, I guess.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 8, 2014,
I see, the point was not to nail the sound perfectly, but to get as close as possible with what I have at the moment, I should've had explained it in a better way, thanks a lot (:
no problem, i hope i helped a little
Hey guys, quick question... I just ordered the active-housed Duncan Pegasus and Sentient pickups for my Schecter. I noticed online that the active housed pickups are marketed as a direct retrofit for the EMG 707s that I have now- except after looking at the dimensions for all the pickups, I'm noticing the Duncans are STILL a little bit bigger. Anybody have any experience with these pickups? I'm curious if I'll need to do any routing. The phase ii Blackouts are the exact same way, so if you've got EMGs that you replaced with Blackouts, I'm curious as to how that went.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Gibson 24.75" thicker low e string for C#/dropB i just use the standard .11 sets because they are cheaper than individual packs and do me well.

i realize it will be a little loose. just a little tighter on the bass end.

i want to know what would be good as SINGLE string to swap in instead of the .049.

maybe.56?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
.56 felt good on my seven string low b. won't go any lower without slinking up too much.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
.56 felt good on my seven string low b. won't go any lower without slinking up too much.

The .56 was my guess.

Thanks. Going to puck up some singles just for the c#/drop b.

All others will be in e std/drop d.

Thanks and
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Check and make sure its not cheaper to just buy a seven string set instead of ordering single.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
QUOTE=bluestratplayer]Check and make sure its not cheaper to just buy a seven string set instead of ordering single.

I do not like the wound third. I have probably 20 sets of what I use i just drop tune 2 guitars. It is cheap. I restring most at 6 months or a rare break.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
So I was putting on my new 10-52 Ernie Ball cobalt strings and while I was tuning them to Drop D, I heard a light popping sound coming from the head stock. It sounded like it was coming from the nuts or posts that the strings wind around at the headstock. The strings didn't break or anything. I can still play them. But tuning them is weird. Does anyone know what this means?
sort of like a pinging sound? if so they're probably binding in the nut, which won't help your guitar to stay in tune.
it means the strings are sticking in the nut. if you went up to a bigger gauge (or even if you didn't) it's not that surprising.
Ah ok. I have 10-52's on my Epiphone SG in drop d. Is that bad that it's making that noise?
I don't think so, it just won't stay in tune as well. you could lube the nut and if you're lucky that'll cure it. if you're not so lucky the nut might be cut for thinner strings and you might need to file it slightly (and that's beyond my pay grade ).
One old-school trick is to draw inside the slots with a pencil. The idea being to lay down a bed of graphite as a lubricant.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
One old-school trick is to draw inside the slots with a pencil. The idea being to lay down a bed of graphite as a lubricant.

Some people have used a mixture of graphite and Vaseline.
Although I would think that the Vaseline would attract dust and dirt.
I just use a pencil myself.
I put it on both the nut and the strings.
Quote by Cathbard
Godamn it man, do you have King Kong's fingers? Or are you tuning down to something ridiculous? I use 11-49 for slide!

nope no stupid tunings here.

E standard/drop D on 18 or so guitars than two for C#std. 3one on a prestige ibby the other an EMG loaded Gibson SG.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard

You cray. 11-49 isn't even remotely ridiculous. Though I use slightly heavier bottoms. I think my sets are 11-52, and I use them in E standard and D standard. 9s on a short scale make me sad. I can't even hit strings with any accuracy since they're flopping around so much.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I used to use 10-52 on one of my E Std guitars (sold it), and I use 8-38 on my Peavey Predator in E Std / Open D.

I like heavy and light. I can work with both, neither really bother me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Will these speakers work as monitors? http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/Audio/Manuals/aud_man_XLUH242.pdf

They are the kind with the two wires at the back of them. Thanks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].