hey all,
So i just ordered a matched, burned in set of 4, sed winged c el34's for the power section. Which were not as easy to track down as i thought they'd be, since apparently SED isnt manufacturing them anymore. Anyhow, enough about that, my interest for this thread is the pre-amp tubes. It takes 6 12ax7's and I was curious if anyone knows the characteristics of certain tubes are, when used in the different spots. More spcifically, V1 and the PI. I've heard throwing a JJ in V1 and a Mullard in the PI work well, but I'm open to any other tried and true options the tube guru's here might know about. Thanks all.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
I'm not big on the JJ ec83 in V1.
I use a new Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and JJ ec83 in the rest. I like the JAN GE/Phillips 5751 in the PI or the Sovtek 12ax7LPS is another nice choice.

If you can find some ANOS Mullard ec83, Telefunken 12ax7, RCA 12ax7 I'd give them a try also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by arteestic1
hey all,
So i just ordered a matched, burned in set of 4, sed winged c el34's for the power section. Which were not as easy to track down as i thought they'd be, since apparently SED isnt manufacturing them anymore. Anyhow, enough about that, my interest for this thread is the pre-amp tubes. It takes 6 12ax7's and I was curious if anyone knows the characteristics of certain tubes are, when used in the different spots. More spcifically, V1 and the PI. I've heard throwing a JJ in V1 and a Mullard in the PI work well, but I'm open to any other tried and true options the tube guru's here might know about. Thanks all.

There's an Uberschall Rev comparison thread (by Uberschall fanatics) which also touches on the various preamp tubes used in the P1 and V1 slots and others here.
Thanks, to both of you. great info.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab