So I have a Peavey VYPYR VIP 1, and love it to death. I want to get a MIDI controller for it, but I don't exactly like the Sanpera controllers that much. So my question is do I have to use the Sanpera controllers or can other MIDI controllers be used?
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
Peavey amps do not use MIDI, they use a 7 Pin DIN connection.

You can get a Sanpera I for ~$50 used. That's about as cheap as you're going to get for any controller.

EDIT: It looks like I might be mistaken about the Vypyrs. I was quite sure they were proprietary, but the Vypyr might actually use MIDI. If so, then I'm not sure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 14, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
Peavey amps do not use MIDI, they use a 7 Pin DIN connection.

You can get a Sanpera I for ~$50 used. That's about as cheap as you're going to get for any controller.

EDIT: It looks like I might be mistaken about the Vypyrs. I was quite sure they were proprietary, but the Vypyr might actually use MIDI. If so, then I'm not sure.

It says on the back of my amp where the looper jack is (idk what its called) Sanpera OR MIDI. The problem is I'm pretty short on money and I'm about to sell my Les Paul (thank god I hate Les Pauls as a whole) to get some parts for a few guitars I have, so I need something reliable yet affordable.

You should register for the Peavey Forum and ask over here. http://forums.peavey.com:81/viewforum.php?f=33

If you get an answer, update over here because I am also curious now.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Okay I just emailed Peavey about it. I will let you know when I find out something.

Okay Just checked my email after being unable to do anything for a few days (I was sick) and hears their exact words:

"The Vypyr VIP will respond to basic midi commands, so you can use any stand-alone controller to change patches. However, you will not be able to access the tuner, patch editing, or looper functions unless you have the Sanpera controller."

So there you go everyone. It can work with any MIDI switcher, but the Sanpera gives you more goodies

Hi
I´ve been experimenting with Midi and found that I could map with a Korg Nano Kontrol via Ableton Live (and a laptop of course). for now I can control all tone knobs (pre, low, mid, hi and post gain)

I´ll post if I found out more midi commands. =)
this thread is dead. start your own thread and please don't necrobump.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/