Hey guys, I need some help on my amp's tone. I can't seem to take the fuzz out of it, which is especially apparent when I play leads. I'm looking for more of a fluid lead sound, much like The Faceless's tone on Autotheism, or Gorod's tone on A Perfect Absolution. Any tone setting suggestions or general advice would be very Aappreciated.

Thanks.
To add, I would like more string definition as well. Still high gain, but more defined.
Sounds like you actually need a Powerball instead of a Savage...
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
It could be your cab/speakers. Have you tried the Savage through other cabs?
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Blackfire.
What is your entire setup?

I don't use any pedals except for a boss tu3 tuner. Its the savage into an ENGL 212 cab with v30s. I usually play through either an Ibanez RG3EXKA1, Jackson DK2S, or a PRS c24.
Quote by bassmastamitch
It could be your cab/speakers. Have you tried the Savage through other cabs?

Yes I've played it through A Blackstar 412, a Marshall 412 and ENGL Cabs, while it does sound better through the ENGL cabs, I can't quite get the tone I'm looking for.
Ah. Well, as said before, a Powerball is probably a better choice for what you want.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by necrosato
Yes I've played it through A Blackstar 412, a Marshall 412 and ENGL Cabs, while it does sound better through the ENGL cabs, I can't quite get the tone I'm looking for.

Check up on some youtube vids of your amp. There's plenty of users out there that don't sound fuzzy with good solo tones. Maybe one of them can help you out. Looks like you've already tried other cabs, which means there's something else that needs to be corrected.

Also you might want to try and throw an overdrive in front and see what that does, and add a noise gate.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Feb 15, 2014,
Quote by bassmastamitch
Ah. Well, as said before, a Powerball is probably a better choice for what you want.

really? i'd have thought the savage would be smoother than the powerball

are you on smooth mode? or even just use a tubescreamer-type pedal as a boost, that should smooth it out a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^+1 to this. The Powerball is one of my least favorite amps ever. If you want less fizz, you definitely DONT want a Powerball, that thing is fuzz city. Yuck.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've never played a Savage before, but I quite liked the Powerball I played
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
My powerball sounds great too. I love it. But ive seen videos of people playing the savage and getting a very smooth and sleek tone.

Heres what i recommend: lower your presence down. Try around 12 oclock. Lower your treble as well, less than 12 oclock. I think the Savage has a contour knob. If it is similar to the powerballs contour knob, i highly recommend you engage that to boost your mids. It really thickens up the tone and makes it smooth and rich. Lastly, if you have a tubescreamer, i recommend you lower your gain to less than 12oclock (maybe 10oclock), and then boost with the TS. The TS will do something for your tone that adding more gain via the amp simply wont do.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
My powerball sounds great too. I love it. But ive seen videos of people playing the savage and getting a very smooth and sleek tone.

Heres what i recommend: lower your presence down. Try around 12 oclock. Lower your treble as well, less than 12 oclock. I think the Savage has a contour knob. If it is similar to the powerballs contour knob, i highly recommend you engage that to boost your mids. It really thickens up the tone and makes it smooth and rich. Lastly, if you have a tubescreamer, i recommend you lower your gain to less than 12oclock (maybe 10oclock), and then boost with the TS. The TS will do something for your tone that adding more gain via the amp simply wont do.

Thanks for the replies guys.

First of all, I don't actually have a tubescreamer, although i really want one. While the savage does not have a contour knob, it does have a contour switch. However, I believe it cuts out kids as opposed to boosting them.
Quote by necrosato
I believe it cuts out kids.

haha. had to do it.

i am not familiar with your amp (wouldn't mind though ) but a tube screamer used with the volume at max, gain at 0, and tone to flavor.

i had a mental issue with using a tubescreamer just for the fact that 'I dropped 2k USD on an amp and it needs a tubescreamer, what the hell t should be perfect. but sometimes good amps need them. neither of my splawns do, my MKIV does, my tremoverb doesn't ,my VHT doesn't and can't think of other of had. but. luck

sorry for the rambling.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ lol at the kids thing

and yeah i had that same mental block about using an od pedal- until i tried one. pretty much had an epiphany there and then.

try a tubescreamer-type pedal, basically. it doesn't have to be a genuine ts, even a digitech bad monkey (ts-ish) or joyo vintage od should let you see if it'll more or less do what you want.

i dunno how close exactly the savage is to the savage se (mine doesn't have the contour knob) but the one annoying thing i find about it is that rough mode can be too rough while smooth mode is too smooth. Normally I use rough and then use a ts-type od to smooth it out a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ lol at the kids thing

and yeah i had that same mental block about using an od pedal- until i tried one. pretty much had an epiphany there and then.

try a tubescreamer-type pedal, basically. it doesn't have to be a genuine ts, even a digitech bad monkey (ts-ish) or joyo vintage od should let you see if it'll more or less do what you want.

i dunno how close exactly the savage is to the savage se (mine doesn't have the contour knob) but the one annoying thing i find about it is that rough mode can be too rough while smooth mode is too smooth. Normally I use rough and then use a ts-type od to smooth it out a bit.

I'll look into getting one. The other thing I just thought of is that I might need new tubes? Do you think this would help? I know that the dude that that I got it from said that he had the 6505s replaced with KT88s about last January.
depends on what tubes are in there already- it's possible you could tame it a bit with tubes depending on what's in there already (JJs are the usual suggestion for readily available, warmer-sounding tubes for the preamp). But using an OD pedal is a lot simpler and cheaper
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know a lot of people would probably disagree with me, but in my experience changing tubes hasnt impacted my tone very much at all. My guess is that they would make a big difference if the tubes you have in there now were old/dying. If the contour switch doesnt function to boost your mids, then maybe try this: put an eq pedal in your loop and boost the mids there. Then, use the contour mid cut for rhythm and disable it for lead. This may not be necessary though.. I swear ive seen some killer lead tones from Savages on youtube. I wish i had one alongside my powerball.

I agree about being dissappointed with owning an expensive amp and still the TS makes such a positive difference. I wish my amp had the ts built into the lead channel so i didnt have to tap dance. The good news is.. if you dont own a really expensive amp, adding a TS will often make it exceptional.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
I know a lot of people would probably disagree with me, but in my experience changing tubes hasnt impacted my tone very much at all. My guess is that they would make a big difference if the tubes you have in there now were old/dying. If the contour switch doesnt function to boost your mids, then maybe try this: put an eq pedal in your loop and boost the mids there. Then, use the contour mid cut for rhythm and disable it for lead. This may not be necessary though.. I swear ive seen some killer lead tones from Savages on youtube. I wish i had one alongside my powerball.

I agree about being dissappointed with owning an expensive amp and still the TS makes such a positive difference. I wish my amp had the ts built into the lead channel so i didnt have to tap dance. The good news is.. if you dont own a really expensive amp, adding a TS will often make it exceptional.

I think it may be an issue with the power tubes. Upon further inspection, i found that when I crank up the volume I get this crackling noise. (Its not the guitar or anything like that, I made sure of it. Used a tuner in front, different cables etc.)