I'm finally gonna do it guys. I've been talking about doing this for years, ever since I did this to my Valveking:

I've ordered all the hardware I need, I should have extra brass corners in my shed somewhere from when I built the head. This is what I ordered:

Wheat grill cloth - grill cloth 24"x36"
Generic grill piping - Brown 10 feet since I have no idea what it's for
Marshall style strap handle with gold fittings
steel dual quarter jack dish - standard kit
F1686 rubber cabinet foot 7 since I wanna go overkill
Speaker mounting kit - #10x1-1/4" panhead 16pc

Hopefully that's what I need, should arrive sometime within next week. Tomorrow I'm gonna go pick up the wood and sandpaper, and poly.

I'm gonna use red oak 8x12x1 planks, since the head is built with white pine planks of similar dimensions. I figured red oak would stand up alot better to a speaker than white pine.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, I'll have the box built tomorrow around 4 or 5 pm.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, I'll have the box built tomorrow around 4 or 5 pm.

Guess I know when I'm checking back. Red Oak is pretty and I'm excited to see what you do with it
The piping usually runs between the grill cloth and cabinet sides. I don't think it's mandatory, but it looks nice!

Is that a bottle of Old Spice roll-on to the side?
that's some nice work on the valveking there
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to get a hold of red oak cause my Home Depot are lame and decided to not carry it anymore let alone any 1x12 planks of even oak. So, I picked up some select pine and said screw it. Still cost me $150 for it, bought an extra board to cover myself for all the mistakes I'm most likely gonna make.

I didn't get as far as I wanted to today, and I lost the batteries to my camera, so no pics today, but I got the sides cut(poorly I might add) and sanded down to 220 grit. I'm a bit rusty on my carpentry skills, but I can make it work. I was so worn out hand sanding that friggen pine to 220 that when I was done it was getting dark so I had to stop. But it's like glass now, should look perdy with some poly on it.

I'm hoping tomorrow after church and hanging out with the girlfriend, and assuming I can find my dag gum son of a biscuit counter sink bit, I'll have the box put together.
awe, man, bummer on the red oak. I was looking forward to that part.

Looking forward to pics, still.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Slight update, I promise I'll get some pics up on Sunday. Anyways, got all the hardware in today, found the camera and batteries. Gonna get the shop smith set up on Sunday and use the planer to straighten out the sides I screwed up. Hopefully will have it put together and stained at the end of Sunday.

Sunday...Sunday...suuunnnndayyyyy....yeah.
Ok, I've finally made some headway on this friken thing, talk about a nightmare. Im my ultimate luck, thinking that I couldn't cut straight, turns out that my select pine boards are warped...width wise...so it threw off all my cuts and nothing is straight

Anyways, it's not gonna be the prettiest thing in the world, but it'll be a nice match to my amp head. I promised lots of pics, so here they are.

Nice project. I built a few cabs back in the day but my carpentry skills are marginal. They needed covering to hide their ugliness. How are you tuning bass response? Did you get Thiele parameters for your chosen speaker to calculate size and porting or are you winging it based on another successful cabinets dimensions?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Nice project. I built a few cabs back in the day but my carpentry skills are marginal. They needed covering to hide their ugliness. How are you tuning bass response? Did you get Thiele parameters for your chosen speaker to calculate size and porting or are you winging it based on another successful cabinets dimensions?

I sorta based it off the dimensions of my Peavey Valveking 112 cab( the speaker cab that used to hold the amp as well) and basically winging it big time. I have no idea if it's gonna sound good or even work, may blast itself apart for all I know.

It's not gonna be perfect, the construction adhesive is so dang hard that I can't sand it off...and it kinda got on the outside of the wood, so it looks bad, but I'm hoping a few mm of poly coat will make it seem like a blemish.

My neighbor said I should port it, which I did with a small 8 inch speaker cab, and that little thing has a ton of low end. So I figure I'll drill two 2, two inch holes near the bottom corners for venting, since I'm gonna build the cab so stiff it wont have any flex.

Small update..I found a can of poly, so I'll start the long and tedious process of letting the wood soak the poly up, might take a few days if not a week. Work is really sucking up my time, so I don't get to work on it every day.

For the front of the cab, I don't know if I should make a small head board, or a base board to take up some of the space since it's much larger area then a 12 inch speaker will take up..Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMW-b7VgP7A

Quote by ethan_hanus

For the front of the cab, I don't know if I should make a small head board, or a base board to take up some of the space since it's much larger area then a 12 inch speaker will take up..Any thoughts?

You should put the speaker nearer the top of the cab, which will give you more space for the ports. Really though, I think porting is more for bass cabs. Guitar cabs are better when they are just open IMO.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."