I want start recording some covers of some fingerstyle/percussive songs, but am unsure how to get a good sound out of the equipment I have. I have a cheap but good fender acoustic and a Perception 220 mic that is being powered by a Line 6 Studio UX2, and for software I have POD farm 2 and Reason limited. I know how to record with this setup but it's more the mixing/eq side of things. POD farm does have a band 9 EQ system but I have no idea how to use it. I've done some tests with it but it can sound a bit flat, even with some reverb added. Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup?
Pod farm?
You don't wanna use pod farm to do that.

First of all, and please don't take this as an offense, if you don't have experience in mixing, you probably also don't have a lot of experience in recording, so how are you recording the thing?
'cause the biggest reason acoustic stuff sounds bad in recordings is that said stuff sounds bad in real life, too.

You may wanna step down from reason limited and get something more flexible.
Reaper's trial's free for anytime you want IIRC, so have a look at that and see how you like it, and if you have a mac have a look at the already installed version of garageband too.

Then even a clean unprocessed sound should sound pretty good if you record it good.
What you could do to make it sound better?
Well try widening (sample delays and spreaders do that) the sound.
Try compressing the sound a bit maybe.
Get a graphic EQ with an analyser (most daw, reaper for sure and I think even garageband come with one) and see how's your sound.
Then try tweaking the sound with the eq - you drastically raise each frequency band to see what kinda sound lies in it, then you find what you like and what you don't like and you raise it and lower it depending on that.

Plus, an audio sample of what you're getting now would be helpful to help you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Pod farm?
You don't wanna use pod farm to do that.

First of all, and please don't take this as an offense, if you don't have experience in mixing, you probably also don't have a lot of experience in recording, so how are you recording the thing?
'cause the biggest reason acoustic stuff sounds bad in recordings is that said stuff sounds bad in real life, too.

You may wanna step down from reason limited and get something more flexible.
Reaper's trial's free for anytime you want IIRC, so have a look at that and see how you like it, and if you have a mac have a look at the already installed version of garageband too.

Then even a clean unprocessed sound should sound pretty good if you record it good.
What you could do to make it sound better?
Well try widening (sample delays and spreaders do that) the sound.
Try compressing the sound a bit maybe.
Get a graphic EQ with an analyser (most daw, reaper for sure and I think even garageband come with one) and see how's your sound.
Then try tweaking the sound with the eq - you drastically raise each frequency band to see what kinda sound lies in it, then you find what you like and what you don't like and you raise it and lower it depending on that.

Plus, an audio sample of what you're getting now would be helpful to help you.

Well I'm not using Pod Farm anymore, it really did make things, especially percussive sounds, sound plastic. I have just uploaded 2 short test mp3s to my profile, both are the same section from an Andy Mckee song "Joyland". One is just dry acoustic guitar and mic, the other is one with a few effects (compressor, reverb and stereo imager). It was done in Reason, but I'll probably switch to something like reaper in the future, for now I'm just trying to get the basics down. BTW the playing in the MP3s is pretty horrible which makes it hard to judge, I'm not usually that terrible.
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Feb 17, 2014,
You have the volume too low, make something about that.
Other than that, you may wanna try different mic placements and stuff, but if you ask me it doesn't sound half bad.
A bit too less bass maybe, but good overall.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.