I noticed that when i use my phone near the humbucker thats next to the birdge, my phone signal is being amplified by my amp. Why? And why isnt it being amblified by the humbcuker thats near the neck?
Quote by GuitarDaddyCool
I noticed that when i use my phone near the humbucker thats next to the birdge, my phone signal is being amplified by my amp. Why? And why isnt it being amblified by the humbcuker thats near the neck?

pickups can detect all sorts of electromagnetic signals. it can also most likely pick up your TV remote. pickups can also detect radio and wireless phone conversations and i could even hear when my mom was using the blender through my guitar. i think you can also just yell into your pickups as well,

if your neck pickup isn't making noise from the interference then i'd have to assume that you only had the bridge pickup selected. if you select both pickups then both should make noise from the interference.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 15, 2014,
I noticed this myself I played a song on my phone held it to the pick up and it went loud and clear through the amp but after that I think the magnets on the pick up freaked my phone speaker and it stopped working completely. Couldn't hear it ring etc. This fixed it self after I powered the phone off then turned it back on again.
Your phone is emanating the electromagnetic fields when it drives your phone speaker. That little speaker has a lot of turns of wire to make the speaker coil move. Your guitar has all these turns of wire in the pickup. You might think of it as an antenna, but it's not going to transfer any extremely high frequencies (like radio waves). In this case, it's probably more like a transformer. You have one coil next to another and it naturally transfers some audio frequency signal to the pickups.

When your pickup responds to yelling - I think that's something else. I've noticed that too. It might be that the strings are getting sympathetic vibrations which transfer to the pickups like playing the strings, or you're causing something else in the pickup to vibrate and it gets picked up. Things like lights and such can give off electromagnetic waves that get picked up too.

I can picture the strong magnets of a pickup messing up phone speaker - I hadn't thought of that. You probably don't want to set your mechanical watch on them either!
If the pickup isn't potted, it'll pickup a shit ton of extra signals.

As was said, you can even yell into it and hear your voice through the amp.

Wax potting isn't a de facto eliminator of all sorts of extra sounds/signals, but it does eliminate and greatly reduce many excess signals and sounds. Especially if you're playing close to your amp.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45