Hi there,

I'am pretty new to finding out about guitar action. I have just measured my action on the 12th fret low e string and it measures 5mm. Is this quite high or normal?

Thanks
Quote by hellybelly
Hi there,

I'am pretty new to finding out about guitar action. I have just measured my action on the 12th fret low e string and it measures 5mm. Is this quite high or normal?

Thanks

Hello hellybelly

You don't specify where you are measuring from and to and that can make a big difference.

If the 5mm you mention is from the fretboard to the middle or top of the low E, then I would say that is about average. If you are measuring from the top of the 12th fret then it's a little high.

Most of my acoustics have a gap of 3mm from the top of the 12th fret to the base of the low E string and slightly less - about 2.5mm - for the top E string.

But the ideal action does depend how you play. I mainly fingerpick and the action I've set is fine for how I play. If you use a pick and perhaps are a hard strummer, for example, you might want a higher action to prevent string buzz.
Last edited by Garthman at Feb 15, 2014,
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that I mentioned from the middle of the 12th fret. I used to play an electric so I guess its taking me a while to get used too. Especially when I play with a capo as I find the higher up the fretboard I play the more pressure I need to apply. I do use a pick and can be a pretty hard strummer so maybe I will just keep it as it is. My local guitar shop wants £55 to adjust it which seems pretty steep.
I think 5mm seems way too high. That setup price sounds a little high. You can probably get the action much easier to play by lowering the bridge until the frets buzz when you play normally. You also tighten your truss rod, but that's a little trickier and you should approach that with a little more caution. But if you're asking, you must have found the strings a little awkward to fret and 5mm would be a workout for me.

Your intonation will be better also - that is, because you're not stretching the strings as much when you fret them, I think it will sound better. Just check what's on the forum and ask questions if you try doing your own setup and have problems. The guy in the shop can probably get it spot on quickly because of his experience, but if you take the time to learn how to do this yourself, you'll be set for life
Thanks for your great advice. I have managed to find a local guitar guy who builds guitars (apparently he is excellent) who I'am going to try and get hold off to offer me some advice. I' am not going to take it to my local shop because it does seem quite pricey. I think I do need it lowered as the general feeling I have got from people is that its on the high side.
what kind of guitar is it? the action should be adjustable by sanding down the saddle a little bit. that should easily bring it closer to your comfort without effecting intonation.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by hellybelly
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that I mentioned from the middle of the 12th fret. I used to play an electric so I guess its taking me a while to get used too. Especially when I play with a capo as I find the higher up the fretboard I play the more pressure I need to apply. I do use a pick and can be a pretty hard strummer so maybe I will just keep it as it is. My local guitar shop wants £55 to adjust it which seems pretty steep.
Here read this: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

I guarantee it will open up new worlds in guitar setup to you. Also in metric to inch conversions.
It's only a 3/4 luna travel guitar. It might not be the best but it plays well and is all I can afford at the moment. Thanks captaincranky that article is excellent
I'm going to make a documentary about how guitars are made for my college media project and need to do some audience research. If you could help me out and take this survey that I have created on survey monkey via the link below I would be grateful:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QSKC7YP

Thanks in advance!