Page 1 of 2
so a friend of mine who has never-ever touched a guitar before thought it would be the most brilliant idea ever for his first guitar rig to be an entire full stack and to top it off - place it in his bedroom. and you know what? he thought it would be great to turn the volume all the way up.

i'm pretty sure it doesn't take a guitarist to figure that the loudness of an arena in your bedroom is really-fricking-loud

a full stack with the full 200w of tube power running though it - is bloody loud in a gigantic hall - maybe even in an arena - and ESPECIALLY in a bedroom (this was a fricking thunderverb 200 and 2x ppc412 4x12 cabs)

tbh i can't even imagine a full stack being in my room let alone being in my house at all - especially 200w of tube

conversation can be read here:
http://imgur.com/ZZJJz7W

anyway - what did YOU all have for your first amps?
that little cute practice amp that sounded utter rubbish - something like multiple dying cats? or maybe a full stack like my friend?
Last edited by cyrillim at Feb 15, 2014,
inb4 eviction

inb4 tinnitus
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My first- and so far, only- real amp is my Fender HRD Combo. 40w, 1x12, clean as hell. Does everything I need except produce a convincing metal tone.

So I'm looking at getting an Orange combo amp...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 15, 2014,
Your friend sounds like he had more money than brains

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Oh my God...

But yeah, my first amp was Roland Micro Cube and even it was too loud for my bedroom if I turned it all the way up.

I'm always really careful with volume knobs. When I plug into an amp I have never played through, I always turn the volume to minimum and start increasing it until I find the right volume level.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I started on a little Peavey Rage 158, the first iteration. Hands down the most necro sound to date.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
A terrible Vox practice amp

Followed by a less terrible Vox modelling amp

Followed by a great Pod
kvlt
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I started on an old POS Dean 25 watt combo from the late 1980's. I would have killed for a line 6 spider in 92-93
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My amp didn't even have a brand on it... it was 10 watts.

I remember putting my 30watt on full to drown out my brother shagging. I couldn't even hear my own thoughts lol.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Not counting in the starter pack amp many years ago which I cant even remember. When I picked guitar again couple of years back my first amp was Vox Pathfinder 10. At first I connected my guitar into my computer and got distortion that way but I needed something fast for a week long cabin trip. Sounded like shit for my uses but it worked.

My first REAL amp was Randall RG75 G3 combo. It sounded awesome back then (and still does for what it is). But that thing was massive and for 1x12 combo! I traded it to smaller Peavey Envoy for a while. A huge drop in sound quality but massive improvement in portability because I lived in 3rd floor back then and no elevators. (Jesus, that Randall was heavy...)

My first halfstack was Peavey Valveking head and Jet City 1x12 cab, which I still have. Speaker has been changed to Celestion G12-T75 and head collection has grown a bit since then. I desperately need a bigger cab though... I'd kill to have a kickass fullstack in my bedroom.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 15, 2014,
First amp was an Ibanez TBX30R. Loved the amp. Still have it. Second amp was a Line 6 III HD150 with a Bugera cab.
my first amp was a little 5 watt piece of crap that had a 6" speaker and a volume knob that's it. bought back in the late 70s.

did have my half stack (back in my band days mid 80s-early 90s) in my rather small apt but would never have even thought of cranking it up full as that is just nuts.
Yamaha G100-212 mkII
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My first amp was a 15 watt SS Fender with a od channel worse than a Roland JC. My first real amp was a Peavey Valveking, which I still use.
Peavey Studio 112 was the first amp my brother and I purchased. Before that we had run the guitar through an old stereo from the 80's.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I had 3 Fender 30 watt solid state amps. Champions maybe? This was about 15 years ago so I can't remember the exact model. They kept replacing it cause none of them ever worked. They all were dead on arrival (from Mars Music) and I never considered another fender amp again after that. My first working amp was a Marshall AVT50.
Quote by cheesefries
I had 3 Fender 30 watt solid state amps. Champions maybe? This was about 15 years ago so I can't remember the exact model. They kept replacing it cause none of them ever worked. They all were dead on arrival (from Mars Music) and I never considered another fender amp again after that. My first working amp was a Marshall AVT50.

My first Gibson LP studio came from MARS music in Orlando, that was a cool store
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The only real stupid thing he did was get an extra
cab that he doesn't need and cranking the volume
so that his ears ring. Otherwise the Thunderverb and PPC
cabs are great pieces of gear.

200 watts is not what it is making it loud. A 30 watt amp
will make your ears ring to if you crank up the volume.
Tell your friend that if he continues at that volume without
ear protection he runs the risk of his ears ringing like that
for the rest of his life

I agree though that it is a bit much for bedroom use -
especially if he doesn't know what he is doing, which sounds
like is the case.

My first amp was a Fender GDec. Looking back, that was a great piece of kit.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 15, 2014,
^ +1

I had (still have it) a vox pathfinder
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The cheap Squier amp that came in the guitar kit at best buy. I regret nothing.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Robbgnarly
My first Gibson LP studio came from MARS music in Orlando, that was a cool store

All my early guitar gear came from there. Mars was awesome!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My first- and so far, only- real amp is my Fender HRD Combo. 40w, 1x12, clean as hell. Does everything I need except produce a convincing metal tone.

So I'm looking at getting an Orange combo amp...

That's my current shit rig. Or what I call my shit rig, anyway.

When I'm not able to take the Mesa stack with me, I take a HRD with a Wampler Pinnacle, Fulltone OCD, and TC Flashback. Gets a pretty good metal tone if I turn the bass all the way down on the amp and the presence all the way up. I don't even touch that shitty drive channel.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
There is no way around it- the HRD's drive channel is ass.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My first was a 10 watt yamaha g2 that came with my first guitar...not including that it was a Marshall MG half stack
My first amp was a Marshall MG15DFX. One of the original ones. Not great, and there's better for the money, but hell it was an okay little starter amp for what it cost. First real amp was a Peavey Valveking 1x12.

Your friend **** the neighbors

I currently have a 50watt head on a 4x12, a 100 watt head on a 4x12, and a 20 watt head on a 1x12 cab in my apartment, all tube. I just use that knob labeled "volume"
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
My first amp was a Fender Mustang 1,and it was plenty loud for bedroom practice.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I'm inclined to say this.

But my first amp?
Laney Hardcore Max

Speaking of that amp...
I have a broken one of those in my workshop (Probably just a dead power amp chip).
My nephew just bought a guitar (dunno what kind) and is looking for an amp.

I plan on fixing it and giving/selling (dirt cheap) it to him.
How does it sound?
What kind of styles is it made for (I'm guessing some metal type of shit).
I've got no idea what style of music he plans on doing.
Just want the opinion of someone that has/had one.
I've got a few other broken amps, but this one looks to be the easiest/cheapest to repair.

OT:
I can't really recall what my first amp was.
Some kind of Fender I think.
This was around 1980 - 1981.
My second (or maybe 3rd?) amp though, was a Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 with 2 4x10 cabs.
Currently have a Vox AC30CCH with a DIY 2x12 cab ( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230 ) as my main amp.
I'll sell one of my kidneys before I sell that.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There is no way around it- the HRD's drive channel is ass.

I dunno which HRD you are referring to (Deville, Deluxe, etc.), but the Deville's drive channel sucks major ass.
Clean channel is great, but dirt channel is just crap IMO.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 16, 2014,
My first amp was some behringer starter amp, total crap.
My first real amp was a Vox Pathfinder 15, actually a pretty nice clean amp, sounded like crap with the gain boost but was nice clean. Then i traded that for a Vox Valvetronix and went to tube amps from there

I've had a Bugera V5, Peavey Bravo (a cool 80's tube amp), Marshall TSL601, Peavey Classic 50, Orange Rocker 30 and now I'm using a JCA22H, couldn't be happier!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by cyrillim
so a friend of mine who has never-ever touched a guitar before thought it would be the most brilliant idea ever for his first guitar rig to be an entire full stack and to top it off - place it in his bedroom. and you know what? he thought it would be great to turn the volume all the way up.

i'm pretty sure it doesn't take a guitarist to figure that the loudness of an arena in your bedroom is really-fricking-loud

a full stack with the full 200w of tube power running though it - is bloody loud in a gigantic hall - maybe even in an arena - and ESPECIALLY in a bedroom (this was a fricking thunderverb 200 and 2x ppc412 4x12 cabs)

tbh i can't even imagine a full stack being in my room let alone being in my house at all - especially 200w of tube

conversation can be read here:
http://imgur.com/ZZJJz7W

anyway - what did YOU all have for your first amps?
that little cute practice amp that sounded utter rubbish - something like multiple dying cats? or maybe a full stack like my friend?

If he wants to get rid of the Thunderverb, let me know.
Quote by Ippon
If he wants to get rid of the Thunderverb, let me know.

Ippon, ladies and gentlemen, the KING of amps
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
My first was a tiny 10 watt amp which probably had a 4" speaker hated that thing. Went from there to a Fender Mustang I which I still have but don't really use, then to a Pod HD500 which I adored at first but grew to dislike. Now I have a Mesa Mark IV that I will never get rid of <3
I played a Marshall Valvestate 8040 for like ten years with a Telecaster before I got interested in tone and quality. Still think the amp was good for what it was.
I got a Dual Terror and an Orange 1x12 and I tell you that thing could fill a stadium.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
I got a Dual Terror and an Orange 1x12 and I tell you that thing could fill a stadium.

thats a hellova first amp bro. Can't think of a better way to start out on a good note
Quote by cheesefries
thats a hellova first amp bro. Can't think of a better way to start out on a good note
I know. I often just lay my guitar in front of it and feel the walls shake
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My first amp was a Marshall MG15CDR, of course I liked it in the beginning but later I couldn't wait to get something better. I still have it, I don't use it often but sometimes it's nice to have it when I jam with friends who don't have an amp.
Page 1 of 2