Hi there.

Has anybody experience in combining two speakers with very different sensitivity rating in one cab? I´m considering a 99 dB speaker and a 94 dB speaker, both of them are 8 ohm models, the wiring will be serial, with a 16 ohm result for the cab.... Will the poor 94 dB baby be heard at all, or will the 99 db beast outscream it totally? Even if the two speakers are very different in their frequency response?

Thanx in advance for your help, folks!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
depends, really. I've never tried that big of a mismatch, but as you implied in your post, the tone of each speaker affects it, too.

which speakers are you looking at? there might be a similar model with a higher efficiency which might also be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends, really. I've never tried that big of a mismatch, but as you implied in your post, the tone of each speaker affects it, too.

which speakers are you looking at? there might be a similar model with a higher efficiency which might also be worth considering.

Which speakers? I have a spare Celestion G12-K100 8 ohm and I´m thinking about experimenting with the second speaker and use a bass driver, a Celestion BL12-200X. A few days ago, just outta boredom I plugged my guitar amp into a 4x10 bass cab and I was blown away with the sound - the only detail missing were the highest frequencies. So that´s why I want to try to combine a gtr spkr with a bass spkr. BTW: the G12-K100 is the 99 db one and the bass Celestion is the 94 dB one. So, what you reckon now?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
I have no clue, I've never mixed and matched guitar and bass speakers
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Airfish
Which speakers? I have a spare Celestion G12-K100 8 ohm and I´m thinking about experimenting with the second speaker and use a bass driver, a Celestion BL12-200X. A few days ago, just outta boredom I plugged my guitar amp into a 4x10 bass cab and I was blown away with the sound - the only detail missing were the highest frequencies. So that´s why I want to try to combine a gtr spkr with a bass spkr. BTW: the G12-K100 is the 99 db one and the bass Celestion is the 94 dB one. So, what you reckon now?

The K-100 doesn't have a lot of highs

You can always give it a try, you won't hurt anything
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The K-100 doesn't have a lot of highs

You can always give it a try, you won't hurt anything

I know it doesn´t, I had it in a 112 cab. It has just the right amount of highs for me. Less than the V30, but definitely more than a bass speaker. But still its sensitivity is 5 db more than the bass speaker I´m planning to pop in. What do you thing how this mismatch would sound like?