Picked up a Mesa Single Rectifier to replace my Line 6 modeller and now I've got a great amp it's time to get some proper effects.

I'm having trouble picking a chorus and delay because it seems every pedal is made either as really expensive vintage reproductions or they're super cheap and I fear won't be suitable for using in an effects loop since the Mesa doesn't have a line/signal level control on its loop. I'm not after any specific legacy sound, just a very standard chorus and for delay a basic clean digital delay and maybe a simulated analogue modulated delay. The delay at the start of Paramore's Decode and the chorus on the clean guitar on Prince's Purple Rain is the sort of thing I'm going for. Normal pop stuff.

Ideas? I'm guessing the normal Boss pedals would be okay but I want to see what all the options are before just buying those as usual.

edit: in England, should have said before. See below.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Feb 15, 2014,
TC Electronics Flashback delay is great for the money and so is the Alter Ego. Used is the best deals you will get on them.

Right now MF has a deal on the Modtone aqua chorus II which is a great pedal for $39
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It depends on your preferences. Boss CE-5 is a very good chorus, the DD-3 is a very good delay. If you want something else (like, analog or true bypass), the Hardwire or TC electronic delay/chorus are excellent, too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 15, 2014,
+1 to the Flashback/Alter ego.

I actually own the AE. I prefer it to the FB, just for the Eco Rec and MOD settings on it. Great for clean tracks! I usually use mine in front of the amp, just because the effects loop on the JCA50H blows.

I have used it in the effects loop on other amps, and in the studio, and it sounds great!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
time based fx will almost always work in the loop so that isn't an issue. most of either will give you the basic effect so it depends on what you really want. for a decent delay you are looking at about $100, chorus' can be had a little cheaper.
Quote by red.guitar
+1 to the Flashback/Alter ego.

I actually own the AE. I prefer it to the FB, just for the Eco Rec and MOD settings on it. Great for clean tracks! I usually use mine in front of the amp, just because the effects loop on the JCA50H blows.

I have used it in the effects loop on other amps, and in the studio, and it sounds great!

The loop on the JCA50/100 is made for rack FX signal not pedals. Why they did this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm in England, those TC pedals are ridiculously expensive here. Like, more than a set of boutique pickups just for one of them. My budget's not small but it's not that huge either. Sorry, should have included that in OP, will update. I'll keep an eye out for them second hand though.

Any others?

Quote by monwobobbo
time based fx will almost always work in the loop so that isn't an issue.
I thought stompbox style pedals need instrument level and the effects loop is stuck at line level? It's a difference of something like 10db I read, surely that's going to have an effect or other amps wouldn't have a line level switch on their loops?
Quote by grohl1987
I'm in England, those TC pedals are ridiculously expensive here. Like, more than a set of boutique pickups just for one of them. My budget's not small but it's not that huge either. Sorry, should have included that in OP, will update. I'll keep an eye out for them second hand though.

Any others?

I thought stompbox style pedals need instrument level and the effects loop is stuck at line level? It's a difference of something like 10db I read, surely that's going to have an effect or other amps wouldn't have a line level switch on their loops?

The AE is on sale right now at PGS for $128. I believe they ship to Europe. Thats where I bought mine.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Tonerider pedals are decent and fairly cheap

Joyo pedals sound really nice, but build quality seems to be spotty

But yes Boss pedals will work for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Toneriders seem to be out of production. Shame, 'cause I use their pickups.

When you say Joyo pedals' quality is spotty, what do you mean? Is it like they're in plastic cases instead of metal, or more like actual electronic failing issues?
I think he means electronic failing issues.

It seems a lost of people here have gotten pedals that work fine (myself included), and other have had shitty luck with some being DOA, or failing soon after purchase from shotty components/assembly.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
TC Electronics pedals sound great, but I've seen more and more people complaining about their customer support when their pedals had issues.

Big fan of the Visual Sound H20 (Choirs/Echo), personally. The V2 version went out of production, but V3 is available from Sweetwater now for $179, and they do international shipping, as I recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LItstNx6mk

Others to consider:

Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Line6 ToneCore Space Chorus
Boss RE-20 Space Echo
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
EHX Epitome

I don't own the MXR and the EHX, but I am planning on adding the EHX this year.

Also, another one I DO own. Is the Red Witch Titan.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TitanDelay/

Yes, it is expensive, but it is also quite powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 15, 2014,