So first off, I have a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo amp and since the other day; a Boss ME 70 multi effects pedal. I am a complete noob when it comes to recording, hence why I have come to you guys. Prepare yourselves for many questions... Basically I would love to encapsulate the sounds from both my Peavey and the ME 70 into my computer for recording purposes. But from my research, I have read that the ME 70 does not support using the rec out/phones output and the guitar amp output at the same time. So I am guessing I have to drop the idea of involving the amp alongside the ME 70 in the recording process from my mind.

Currently my guitar is plugged into the guitar input on the ME 70, then that is plugged (via the GT amp output) into the input on my amp. Unfortunately the ME 70 does not have send/return ports for the effects loop as on my Peavey (which I am led to believe places the signal path of outboard effects between the pre amp and the power amp?) My first question is whether or not I should be plugging the amp (via the amp input) into the ME 70 through the R (stereo I believe?) or L/Mono GT Amp output? I am not sure on the difference of stereo/mono in reference to this type of output.

My next question is to do with recording through the ME 70. After much googling I have determined two ways to go into my computer via the ME 70. Either using a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adaptor/adaptor cable to connect straight into my soundcard and then using Pro Tools or some other related music software, or secondly using a cable/adaptor into an audio interface (I have been looking at cheap ones such as the Behringer UMC22/Tascam US 122/M Audio M Track/Lexicon Alpha) and then connecting to the PC via usb. Basically my question is, which of these two methods is best? Does using an audio interface between the ME 70 and computer greatly improve sound? Or essentially do I have no idea what i'm talking about/making things 100x harder for myself? (Note: If audio interface is the way to go, some recommendations would be awesome)

I did stumble across this eHow page, surprisingly enough, which states;

"Connect the ME-70 to both an amplifier and your computer by using the mono adapter in the same manner by using the "Gt. Amp" outputs. Route one channel to your amp and the other to the computer."

This kinda take me back to my first question. Is this statement correct? Can I "route one channel to your amp and the other to the computer."? If so, how would this work in the recording process?

Apologies for the walls of text, but these issues are bugging the shit outta me and I literally have no where else to seek answers. Many thanks in advance.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
You want the Recordings forum. More specifically, you want this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Fair enough, my bad, i'll post this there instead.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
Quote by mfkr
Fair enough, my bad, i'll post this there instead.

Just read the first page. It's stickied for a reason. It tells you the equipment you need to record, and also tells you that using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter is a terrible idea that may damage your PC.

Your Boss ME70 has no impact on the equipment you need for recording. Neither does your amp. If you want to record the sound of your usual setup, you need to read the advice, buy the correct recording equipment and use a microphone to capture the sound of your amp.

Also, WRT this bit of your OP:
Quote by mfkr
Currently my guitar is plugged into the guitar input on the ME 70, then that is plugged (via the GT amp output) into the input on my amp. Unfortunately the ME 70 does not have send/return ports for the effects loop as on my Peavey (which I am led to believe places the signal path of outboard effects between the pre amp and the power amp?) My first question is whether or not I should be plugging the amp (via the amp input) into the ME 70 through the R (stereo I believe?) or L/Mono GT Amp output? I am not sure on the difference of stereo/mono in reference to this type of output.

Normally you'd go from the amp's send to the Boss input. Then use the L/mono output to go back to the amp's return. You want a mono signal heading back to your amp - the R output is only needed if you're going to a stereo amp with dual L&R inputs (or, once you have purchased some proper recording equipment you could use the L&R outputs to connect to your interface/multitracker so you get full on stereo effects).
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 15, 2014,
Quote by GaryBillington
Just read the first page. It's stickied for a reason. It tells you the equipment you need to record, and also tells you that using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter is a terrible idea that may damage your PC.

i have heard this a number of times and i have to admit i am kinda at a loss as to how the adapter damages the PC.

is this just from potential for stress on the computer's jack from the large size of the part?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i have heard this a number of times and i have to admit i am kinda at a loss as to how the adapter damages the PC.

is this just from potential for stress on the computer's jack from the large size of the part?

I wondered that too after I read that thread

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Apparently it can kill the mic input on the PC - obviously the rest of the PC still works, but if you wanted to use the mic input for making calls or anything like that (which is all it was designed for) you'd be screwed. Even if you get it working without killing the input, it will sound terrible.

There are several of the regulars in the recordings forum it's happened to, which is why we have the unofficial rule that anyone using that method for recording will be given no help other than being instructed to purchase some proper equipment.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
J
Also, WRT this bit of your OP:

Normally you'd go from the amp's send to the Boss input. Then use the L/mono output to go back to the amp's return. You want a mono signal heading back to your amp - the R output is only needed if you're going to a stereo amp with dual L&R inputs (or, once you have purchased some proper recording equipment you could use the L&R outputs to connect to your interface/multitracker so you get full on stereo effects).

So do I only need to go from the L/mono output > Return on the Peavey? All these different outputs/inputs is confusing the hell out of me lol. Also theres no input as such on the ME 70, only for the guitar then the gt amp outputs. Currently I only have two leads so its guitar > me 70 > amp.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
The way you're currently doing it is fine. Guitar - effects - amp works well for most things, and works well for everything if you run your amp clean & use pedals for all your distortion.

You only need to use your effects loop if you're using your amp's distortion and want to use effects like modulation (chorus, phase etc), reverb or delay, which really work better last in the chain. An effects loop does this - you basically get your guitar, then your amp, then the loop adds those effects over the top of your amps sound.

It depends what you want to use the ME70 for - effects like compression, wah and distortion would usually be before your amp and the ones I mentioned before would usually be after it, although there are no firm rules about having any effect in any order so try different things and stick with what you like best.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 16, 2014,
Brilliant, thanks for your help, I understand things a lot better now. It's a shame the ME 70 doesn't have an effects loop, as I would love to use the peaveys own sound. I think i'll have a look into some individual effects pedals.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
Warning: Starting to look at individual pedals can become a very expensive addiction!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It certainly can, partly why I chose the ME 70; more expensive than a single pedal but has loads of them built in. I'm having a real hard time trying to get a good distortion/metal sound from it at the moment. I've tried all the different connections (amp input>ME 70 r/l output) (R ME 70> amps send) (L/mono > amps return) and I've had it on both the lead (and what I presume it should be on> clean. I just keep getting a really tinny sound from it. Not quite sure what i'm doing wrong to be honest. I am a complete noob at this stuff.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
I used to have the ME50 - essentially the same pedal as yours, but with a different layout and supposedly higher quality internals. Great pedal for modulation & delays, but I never liked the drive options. TBH, I'm not actually a fan of Boss's individual drive pedals either.

If there's a specific sound you're after, set up a "What pedal?" thread for recommendations, but if you just want to experiment stick with what you have for now & do lots of research. Read other threads here to see what gets recommended for different styles, watch videos on youtube etc. Also worth heading over to Thomann, if they have the pedal you're interested in they'll usually have a few demos on the page which will be the same riffs as the demos of similar pedals, so you'll be able to do as good a comparison as possible without taking all your gear to a shop & trying the pedal properly.

EDIT: I also want to question these setups you mentioned in your post:
1 - (amp input>ME 70 r/l output)
2 - (R ME 70> amps send)
3 - (L/mono > amps return)

1 - I presume you actually mean ME70 output > amp input? The way I read your post says you're going from the amp's input to the output of the ME70!! Either way, this is the basic way of connecting the effects to your amp. The L/Mono would be the correct option, as the R output is only there for use with stereo effects (which would need either a stereo amp or two separate amps).

I also assume you've made a similar mistake in no. 2?

2 - this means you're going from the amp's send (an output) to the R output of the ME70. Basically sending signals from both ends of a cable, neither one of which is going to an input. I guess they must have just met in the middle & crashed? I'm not surprised you failed to get anywhere with this setup. If my assumption mentioned above is wrong here, you're still going from output to output and neither signal will get anywhere useful.

3 - You've actually written this one correctly. The L/Mono output from the ME 70 would go back to the amp's return input, but only if you have a signal coming from your amp's send to the ME70's input.

What exactly are you doing to connect your amp & effects? Have you studied the manual for either of them?
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 17, 2014,
Personally I'd use the Peavey and get all the effected stuff from the recording software. Get an interface with a mic, say a SM57 works good with this type of amp.

If you really want to use the ME-70 I suggest still using a mic through the amp.

Or you can start playing around with modeling software in your DAW.
^^
By ME70 input or output, which exact do you mean? Here's an image of the back http://www.summerchilde.com/edith408/files/2010/10/Boss_Me70_Back.jpg
maybe you can see where i'm getting confused. The two seperate R / L/mono come under gt. amp output and the only labelled input, as such, is the guitar input. So is L/mono from the ME70 to the amps input correct?

^
I think the ME70 would be a cool addition to recording, but I would ideally want to capture the sound from the Peavey. I'll have a look at the SM57, thanks, a good mic and interface seems to really be what I need.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
Quote by mfkr
^^
By ME70 input or output, which exact do you mean? Here's an image of the back http://www.summerchilde.com/edith408/files/2010/10/Boss_Me70_Back.jpg
maybe you can see where i'm getting confused. The two seperate R / L/mono come under gt. amp output and the only labelled input, as such, is the guitar input. So is L/mono from the ME70 to the amps input correct?

The one labelled "Guitar Input" is always used - whether you're going direct from your guitar to the ME70 or your amp's effect send, that is the input you plug into.

The ones labeled "Gt. Amp Output" send the signal to your amp. As you are using a single amp with a mono input, you need to use the output labeled L/Mono. Ignore the one labelled R completely.

Finally, the one labelled "Rec Out / Phones" should only be used if you need to practice through headphones or if you are connecting directly to an interface/multitracker for recording. It isn't needed when you are playing through your amp.

You really need to read the manual for your ME70, this is pretty basic stuff you're asking about.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Fair enough, it may be basic for you but as I said from the start, I am completely new to any of this stuff. Believe me I have read the manual, and other than a pretty basic diagram, there's not really the information I was looking for. Running the L/mono through the input seems to be working for me at the moment. After reading some confusing posts on different forums about the effects loop I was unsure whether or not the ME70 could be used in it. I'll get hold of another lead and try it out though. Thanks for the help, I guess.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
It can get complicated if you're trying to run a multi effects pedal using what's known as the 4-cable-method. Anything you saw that you found confusing & made you think you couldn't use your amp in the effects loop will have been related to that, as the ME70 doesn't support that that method.

For a basic connection, I shouldn't even worry about the effects loop for now, just keep it simple & you'll be fine.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I don't think the Me70 can do the 4 cable method, you'll need a GT series effector (GT-6,8,10 or 100) to do that.

It is possible to use the ME70 in the fx loop for your time effects (chorus, reverb, delay), wouldn't use modeling in the fx loop though.

You can bypass your amp's preamp if you want to try that way - ME70 into the fx return on the amp will give you the amp basically as just power amp and the ME70 being the preamp. Some people prefer doing it that way but you have a better than average amp so I'd rather use the amp for dirt.

Here's the 4 cable method in case you can do it on the ME70:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608030243740715815&pid=1.7
Quote by diabolical
Here's the 4 cable method in case you can do it on the ME70:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608030243740715815&pid=1.7

You can't - but he's only really after a basic setup anyway, so guitar - effects - amp is plenty.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by GaryBillington
You can't - but he's only really after a basic setup anyway, so guitar - effects - amp is plenty.

But that's putting a sh*tty Boss modeler over a really good cooking tube distortion. I would keep that multifx pedal out of the chain, or as last resort in the loop only for the occasional time effect.
For tweaking in search of that perfect tone, I agree.

For a beginner looking to experiment with effects, keep it simple.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud