Hello, I have recently invested in a new guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul, and am now interested in getting a new amp to replace my current one, a Squier SP-10. My budget is $700. I have narrowed down a few that I think I would like. They are a Vox AC 15, Marshall DSL15c, and a Peavey Classic 30. For OD/ Distortion, I would use a Proco Rat 2 pedal. I would get the amp of choice from a local Guitar Center. Even though I know the general sound of the amps, I would like to know what their strengths and weaknesses are and have a little better of an understanding of the tone.
The genres I usually play are alternative rock, hard rock, pop punk, grunge, classic rock, metal, and some pop. I learn songs from bands like Foo Fighters, Switchfoot, The Who, The Offspring, Queens of the Stone Age, Paramore, Them Crooked Vultures, Soundgarden, and Weezer.
If you have suggestions for other amps, that would be appreciated too.
(I'm not using this as a definite decision maker on my choice, just for information and getting a better understanding of the amps.)
Thanks!
Classic 30, or a Jet City. Use the Rat as a boost with the amps OD. Unless you're going for heavier metal than say a thrash type sound, in which case you might want something a bit more modern sounding. What's the heaviest you want to get.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Classic 30, or a Jet City. Use the Rat as a boost with the amps OD. Unless you're going for heavier metal than say a thrash type sound, in which case you might want something a bit more modern sounding. What's the heaviest you want to get.

When I say metal, I mean Heavy, Thrash, and/or Alt Metal. Sorry, I should have been a little more specific on that part of the genres. I don't need it to be extremely heavy, but getting in tones good enough for bands like Megadeth and Breaking Benjamin would be nice. That being said, heavier metal tones arent my top priority, but it would be great. What are Jet City amps like?
Jet City amps are extremely similar to, and made by, Soldano Amps. If you do not absolutely have to get it from GC, Musicians Friend has the 50 watt combo on sale for $399 right now. It would be a good for for you I think. Also, where are you located? Your local Craigslist might have something that would be nice.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Jet City amps are extremely similar to, and made by, Soldano Amps. If you do not absolutely have to get it from GC, Musicians Friend has the 50 watt combo on sale for $399 right now. It would be a good for for you I think. Also, where are you located? Your local Craigslist might have something that would be nice.

It's $299 actually, complete bargain!

I'd recommend getting the Jet City 50w combo, I have the 20w head and love it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by classicrocker01

I live near Oxford, MS. We have a few local stores around and a Guitar Center not far from here, although I don't mind ordering an amp from online. I've looked at the Jet City and I think it is nice, but I have heard that it does not have a quality clean. While I will be using OD/ Distortion a lot, I would like a good clean to go to from time to time. What would you say about the clean on the Jet City?
Quote by cdiggs654
I live near Oxford, MS. We have a few local stores around and a Guitar Center not far from here, although I don't mind ordering an amp from online. I've looked at the Jet City and I think it is nice, but I have heard that it does not have a quality clean. While I will be using OD/ Distortion a lot, I would like a good clean to go to from time to time. What would you say about the clean on the Jet City?

You can keep it pretty clean with the gain on 1 and crank the master. However it has some problems keeping clean with humbuckers at high volumes. It always stays clean with my tele but not so much with my LTD EC-1000 (with high output humbuckers)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
I wouldn't even consider the dsl15. It lacks so many features that the other amps you are looking at have and it doesn't stand out as a tone monster in anyway. Classic 30 and AC15 are tried and true gigging workhorses with fx loops (if you ever need it at least its there). Both amps do clean/rock well. AC15 has a greenback speaker Classic 30 has a Blue Marvel which is very acceptable. The DSL15 has a G12e-60 which goes along with the MG solid state speaker names (G12e-50). Probably not a good sound at loud volumes. Have fun going back and forth on the peavey/vox
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 15, 2014,
absolutely not the ac15 then.

without question, i would buy this
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNYIRTSTUDIO

Laney ironheart 15 IRT studio. tones of features, and HEAVY. i mean, thats pretty much all its meant to do is get HEAVY.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 15, 2014,
The AC15 in my opinion is the best choice considering you're talking about cleans, and also it'll work VERY well with pedals. Punk stuff you will absolutely nail, but if you're really desperate on the heavier thrash sound then you will definitely have to invest in a pedal.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
The Ironheart wouldn't be a bad choice at all. I never used cleans on my Jet City at high volume.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

The peavey and jet city aren't even in the same league as an AC15 if you ask me. If you really need high gain sounds, then go for the jet city, but you could pull off most of the bands you listed with the Vox
Last edited by 757ian123 at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by 757ian123
The peavey and jet city aren't even in the same league as an AC15 if you ask me. If you really need high gain sounds, then go for the jet city, but you could pull off most of the bands you listed with the Vox

+1 for most parts.

i am not sure about jet city (got three duds from MF and owned a 50 watt head for a week didn't like it, it wasn't quite 'right' i am not going to play the reliability card because i haven't really heard from other people.

the AC15's are great. nice build overall

not a huge fan of smaller marshall heads (other than the class5 which is pretty nice).

the classic 30 is a great budget quality bulletproof amp. they sound good.

i would still go for the AC15 but get an OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/