2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know they are all top notch, but I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has tried at least two of this. I bet there are differences in the construction quality and I'd appreciate some specific info on that.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
They're all good. Opinions will not be based on quality, but preference. Anyone who's played all of these guitars probably actually hasn't as is lying.

Nothing good will come of this thread.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I agree with the penguin named JustRooster (?) - the meaningful differences in overall quality between those is negligible if it even exists. At bet, people will be able to tell you about personal preferences.

And in my case, I've played two...and didn't care for either.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They are all excellent. I still guarantee you will find 3 or 4 finishing blemishes on the Gibson. lol. It's been my experience but I still love how they feel/sound. I could almost guarantee the other brands would have flawless consistent finishes but that doesn't translate much to tone/feel. Just pick em all up and have at it already.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 15, 2014,
There you go, so I should expect some imperfections on the Gibson. I do own a Gibson SG Standard and I love that guitar. The only details I have noticed on that guitar are some finishing imperfections (the paint) and that's about it. For a guitar that feels, play, and sounds that great I believe it offers a great value.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by cheesefries
They are all excellent. I still guarantee you will find 3 or 4 finishing blemishes on the Gibson. lol. It's been my experience but I still love how they feel/sound. I could almost guarantee the other brands would have flawless consistent finishes but that doesn't translate much to tone/feel. Just pick em all up and have at it already.

Nah, the Gibson Custom shop is top notch

I have played Gibson Customs and PRS Customs I think both are excellent. I prefer a PRS though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My biased answer is the custom 24 although i'm dying to get my hands on a mystique it might give it a run for its money
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nah, the Gibson Custom shop is top notch

I have played Gibson Customs and PRS Customs I think both are excellent. I prefer a PRS though

I have a Gibby LP Custom in Alpine White that needed $300 of fretwork out of the box. It was my fault because I special ordered that guitar thinking "of course a custom shop gibby will be great!"... I was very wrong. Dead frets that wouldn't sustain more than 1/10th of a second on the high 15 and 17th frets no matter the setup. YMMV but that was the worst 3000+ I have ever spent.

Perverockstar69
My SG Standard has been my #1 since I got it. I love the thing. If you look closely though the tailpiece holes are very rough and jagged, the headstock black overlay (is it an overlay?) is not fully black on the edges where you can see wood its supposed to be black. The control cavity where the back plastic plate goes is very rough. With the plate on you can see the edges where the wood has like sharp teeth on one side and smooth on all other sides. A lot of very minor finishing issues but you cant tell unless you are looking for them 6" away. Still love the sound and feel of it though so I can't complain.

And my last LP Traditional + which was 2200 literally fell apart within 2 months of getting it. This is what the headstock looked like 2 months after I brought it home. Peeled and bubbled to shit. Terrible finishing. This was a 2010 model and I think people are still having this issue with some Traditionals. Gibson doesn't dry the wood properly so the finish just flakes off within months. Just pushing guitars out the door as fast as they can. But still sounds like an LP should

I can't think of a company that puts as wide a range of guitars out for sale (from total shit to greatness) than Gibson. I would highly recommend if you want a new Gibson to buy one a year or two old that is already broken in. Even if it says its from the Custom Shop play the thing... its not a guarantee for anything. They make a lot of shit guitars too.
Attachments:
Picture008.jpg
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 16, 2014,
I think you're in a good ballpark with any of these as far as "construction" is concerned. I haven't touched a Maton, ever. I've tried a couple of Framuseses and they've been fine.

I'm not a fan of SGs (they've mostly proven to be neck heavy and the pointy horns get in the way of my XXL hands in the upper fret area and the pickup selector is an awkward spot), but I do have an original '70's L6S Gibson that has the same body thickness, no neck-heaviness at all, a 24-fret neck and a wider area between neck and cutaway return. Gibson has been, especially in this century, variable in the quality of their finishes and fretwork. I have a newish Custom Shop Axcess Custom that had to have its frets glued and a run on the PLEK (even though it had theoretically been ON the PLEK at the factory) in order to eliminate dead and uneven frets.

PRS and ESPs also vary in the quality of their fretwork, though I've seen a lot more PRS' than ESPs. The lone PRS I own has gorgeous build quality, but the frets needed work.

As has been mentioned, you should be prepared for fretwork to be done on nearly any guitar that you purchase at retail. I'm routinely having guitars that are new to me run right over to the tech to be run on the PLEK and have their frets superglued. The lone exception to this has been Carvins, which seem to come from the factory with superb fretwork. There are those who may criticize their pickups or electronics, but construction and playability on the seven Carvins I own has been impeccable.
Exactly what could be wrong with the frets? For example, I used to have a Parker Fly Deluxe and notes where not PERFECT from fret to fret...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich