Ok, this is going to sound pretty messed up...but me and 3 of my friends have come together and said maybe we could start a band. 2 of them are still sort of learning guitar..but we are working on it! I'm the most experienced guitarist in the group only because Ive played for about 4 years, but I'm not super amazing and all that. I just play acoustic. (Our band would be mainly using electric guitars)
Anyway, seeing as 3 of us play guitar (2 of them still sort of learning), I was wondering whether I should take up lead guitar, or go to bass guitar because we don't have a bassist and sort of wanted to keep the band to the 4 of us. One of my friends said I should do lead, then she said I should play bass and then she said lead again..like i don't even know anymore. We already have a drummer.
I guess for the time being because we are doing acoustic covers, I could stay as a guitarist and when the others improve a bit we can decide who plays what?
Is it difficult to learn bass coming from guitar? I've heard you need strong fingers? I think I'd have the strongest fingers out of the "band" because I've played the longest and I play guitar like everyday but its songs by Ed Sheeran and One Direction and stuff like that...i play mainly chords and i'm starting to get the hang of barre chords sort of...im just slow changing and stuff and 50% of the time my barre chords sound ew.
Ok...this sounds so dumb..but what exactly are the roles of the different guitarists in a band? Like i vaguely know..but I'm not 100% sure of it or clear about it. Theres lead and rhythm and bass theres bass yeah?
I'm sort of teaching one of the girls to play guitar and she's really eager to learn and stuff so I'm sure over time, we will grow as a band and everyone will improve..a lot.
But yeah I sort of have two main questions for this:
- Should I take up lead guitar or pick up bass? Tbh i have wanted to learn bass for a while, I just didn't know whether I should.
- What exactly are the different roles of guitars in a band.
If it helps we were thinking of sticking to the pop rock genre. We are all girls too..in high school and are sort of doing this for fun because we are sick of our boring lives so we thought playing in a band would be heaps fun.
Thanks for any help and sorry its so long and confusing
hey derrr
She Looks So Perfect standing there in my American Aparrel Underwear
I reckon if you want to learn to play bass, learn to play bass. This sounds like a good opportunity to learn. 3 guitars is overkill in most situations anyway.

The fundamentals of bass and guitar are pretty similar. However as you get really into it you approach the intruments really differently.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by PandaGirl97

1) Our band would be mainly using electric guitars

2)Is it difficult to learn bass coming from guitar? I've heard you need strong fingers? I think I'd have the strongest fingers out of the "band" because I've played the longest and

3)i play mainly chords and i'm starting to get the hang of barre chords sort of...im just slow changing and stuff and 50% of the time my barre chords sound ew.

4)What exactly are the roles of the different guitarists in a band. Theres lead and rhythm and bass theres bass yeah?

5)What exactly are the different roles of guitars in a band.

6)Should I take up lead guitar or pick up bass? Tbh i have wanted to learn bass for a while, I just didn't know whether I should.

7)If it helps we were thinking of sticking to the pop rock genre.

I arranged it so it's easier to answer.

1) 1 ties with 3. Since you'll be mainly playing electric guitars, barre chords shouldn't be a problem. Electric guitars use lighter strings(9-42) whereas acoustics use heavier strings(13-56). You will also need amps.

2) It shouldn't be a big challenge. I use my friends Line 6 POD HD500 with the whammy effect to get my guitar down an octave and play bass through it. A simple(not cheap) way to play bass on a guitar. You could also try the Squier Bass VI. Half bass half guitar.

3) see 1

4)There's Lead, Rhythm(sometimes 2), bass. Those are the main ones. There is also baritone and slide.

5)Lead - Fills in the melody. Listen to Sweet child o mine. That first guitar part is the
lead.

Rhythm - This basically explains itself. They play different chord voicing's to acheive a somewhat bigger sound. eg. A C chord can be played like

e---------0--------------|
B---------1--------------|
G---------0--------------| Open C
D---------2--------------|
B---------3-------------|
E---------X--------------|

e--------5---------------|
B--------3---------------|
G--------3---------------|
D--------3---------------|
B--------5---------------|
E-----------------------|

e---------8---------------|
B---------8---------------|
G---------9---------------|
D---------10---------------|
B---------10--------------|
E----------8--------------|

Play those at the same time and you have a huge sound

Bass - Works with the drums to keep a solid rhythm. Again, Sweet Child o Mine. After the first 4 bars of the intro the drums come in and you hear the lower melody. That's the bass.

Baritone - It's used as the lead guitar in the bass section/ frequencies/ whatever you want to call it. Where the bass is the rhythm and the baritone is the lead.

Slide - This uses a slide, a cylindrical tube made of aluminium or glass to create very smooth slides and vibrato. The solo from Eric Clapton's Layla and the intro to Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory use a slide.

6) It's up to you, now you know what the different guitars in a band do. If you need a bassist, then by all means, play bass.

7) Pop rock rarely needs 2 guitarists. But maybe with those different voicing's, you will have you own unique sound. I play in a 7 piece rock band with 4 guitarists. Shouldn't be a problem for you guys.

Hope this clears things up.
dont think about what she tells you. its your decision to make, if you are the best guitarist you have the right to make one of them switch to bass. but you could also just sacrifice yourself if you want to learn bass.
thanks guys for the help. i still don't know whether I should be lead, rhythm or bass though lol.
Like being lead guitarist would be so awesome i reckon, and it was my first thought when deciding if i ever made a band, id wanna be lead...but after a little while I started to wonder maybe I'm not good enough?
sweet child o mine is awesome, though Idk if I would do very well at solos and stuff seeing as I mainly play chords so my fingers aren't used to switching between single strings and stuff quickly....i always bump other strings and ugh it can be a bit of a mess sometimes..
one of my friends plays tabs as i said, so maybe she is more used to that sort of stuff? although she is less experienced than me so idk who would make a better lead. tbh we haven't even played together properly so i haven't heard everyone properly, we just chilled at lunchtime at school with some of their crappy acoustic guitars talking about band stuff and strumming a bit.
i was sort of the one who suggested we make a band and as much as i hate to admit it, i feel sort of more like the leader of the group (I'm trying to make it so we all get an equal amount of input though..), so idk, seeing lead go to someone else hurts a bit, but as i said, idk if id make a very good lead guitarist. I'm just experienced in chords mainly, but if i have to, i play tabs as well i just struggle at doing it quickly, but it takes practice i guess. :/
I listen to all my rock music and I'm like, i wish I could play like these guys. I wish I could do awesome solos like these guys.. but then i snap back to reality..and i just play songs on my acoustic. Its been like 2 years since i picked up an electric guitar (used to use it in music class occasionally in year 8 and 7 at school). I have also played bass in class performances. it was cool, but it was so long ago i don't really remember anything and i was never taught it properly.
Im really not sure what to do anymore
haha i watched school of rock for like the 100th time last night (haven't watched it in years) and for some reason it inspired me even more to be part of a band. It just looks so fun and stuff :3

btw thanks @darrenram1 for rearranging the stuff so its actually readable and simple to see my key questions :') i didn't know how to explain everything so it all just came out in one big word vomit.
hey derrr
Lets be realistic here, if you're struggling with barre chords and playing single note lines, you taking the lead guitar role doesn't sound like its going to add much to the band. Its more likely that you'll largely be a 3rd rhythm guitarist.

Play bass. You need a bass. You want to learn bass.
Soundcloud
yeah i know. Im working on the barre chords though, i can get a decent sound out of them now. Im just a bit slow to change from one barre chord to another. But i guess only because I just properly started attempting barre chords like 2 months ago. before that i would try to do a barre chord....completely stuff it up...think i was useless and go back to open chords.
I did want to learn bass, yes. I shall try it at school maybe because we have one or two bass guitars. I haven't got one at home, i already have 2 acoustics so i think my parents would eat me if i asked to buy a bass just yet. Ill give all three roles a go maybe within the next few weeks while i teach my friend how to do chords properly. because we are still sorting everything out and our first few covers were going to be full acoustic anyway.
hey derrr
An extra thought that may pay off in the longer term if/when this band doesn't happen & you need to find another:

There are 1000s of good guitarists out there, but good bassists are a rare beast.

In my 30ish years experience, I've always found it harder to find a good band because I've had to compete against other guitarists for the job. I got the job in my current band because they liked me better, even though they admitted they tried out more technically proficient guitarists (I've never claimed to be anything more than competent!).

Most of the bands I've been with in the past have broken up due to the lack of a bassist or drummer (good drummers are even rarer than good bassists). If you become a good bassist, you'll always be able to get a place in a band. Don't stop playing your 6 string completely though, most bassists can play guitar to a reasonable level too.

Obviously that's going purely by my local area and I'm in a small town, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation elsewhere.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 16, 2014,
^^^ Are you all singing? 3 part harmonies are pretty cool.
Soundcloud
Quote by GaryBillington
An extra thought that may pay off in the longer term if/when this band doesn't happen & you need to find another:

There are 1000s of good guitarists out there, but good bassists are a rare beast.

In my 30ish years experience, I've always found it harder to find a good band because I've had to compete against other guitarists for the job. I got the job in my current band because they liked me better, even though they admitted they tried out more technically proficient guitarists (I've never claimed to be anything more than competent!).

Most of the bands I've been with in the past have broken up due to the lack of a bassist or drummer (good drummers are even rarer than good bassists). If you become a good bassist, you'll always be able to get a place in a band. Don't stop playing your 6 string completely though, most bassists can play guitar to a reasonable level too.

Obviously that's going purely by my local area and I'm in a small town, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation elsewhere.

Actually, that seems quite true too. I have had heaps of experience with my guitar, and I'm fairly good at it, and I learn quickly so if I do decide to do bass I'm sure i'd pick it up a lot quicker than tab girl in my group (didn't want to name names so I called her tab girl because she plays tabs). She's played since 2011 and she can still only really do tabs, she says she isn't very good at changing between chords.. since 2011 I've progressed so much I'm actually surprised.
So if I have the ability to play bass and guitar then that would be so awesome too xD

I guess because I am the most experienced out of the group, coming from a family with a musical mother (her whole fam is so musical), Ive had help and also encouragement and influence from her. My drummer friend also has a bit of a musical family. On the other hand, tab girl and my other friend who is still learning guitar haven't got musical families. So maybe with my help they could get better and progress quicker than they would without any help at all?

Im still considering bass. I was actually considering trying out all three parts over the next few weeks and seeing which one I do best at. To be perfectly honest with you all, I don't usually play with other people, I usually play on my own, so I don't know how good I will be if I'm strumming along with another guitarist, I'm scared ill mess up and get confused a bit. Idk. Bass seems easier bc ur accompanying the drum which i think i could do. idk. But lead does seem pretty fun too. OH I DONT KNOW ANYMORE
hey derrr
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Are you all singing? 3 part harmonies are pretty cool.

was that question for me or someone else?
tab girl claims she cant sing. but I'm sure she can do something, my other guitar friend can sing i think drummer can sing, but drummers don't usually sing aye?
hey derrr
oh and guys, since i sort of brought the band together and the others kind of look to me as the leader, do you think its fair if i get first pick as to what part I want to play after we kinda sort that stuff out? Like sort of putting dibs on a certain role in the band, or is that a dog move?
seeing as none of us really know what role we are playing in the band besides the drummer, if i find that i turn out better at say, bass than my guitar (hypothetically speaking), is it fair if i go, ok, I'm bassist and maybe assign the other two to roles which best suit them?
hey derrr
Quote by PandaGirl97
oh and guys, since i sort of brought the band together and the others kind of look to me as the leader, do you think its fair if i get first pick as to what part I want to play after we kinda sort that stuff out? Like sort of putting dibs on a certain role in the band, or is that a dog move?
seeing as none of us really know what role we are playing in the band besides the drummer, if i find that i turn out better at say, bass than my guitar (hypothetically speaking), is it fair if i go, ok, I'm bassist and maybe assign the other two to roles which best suit them?

Without wanting to discourage you, at the moment I don't think you're really a band yet. See it more as a group of friends getting together for regular jam sessions. Let your roles evolve.

In terms of leadership though, all bands need a driving force. If you're happy to take on that role and your friends are happy to let you, then go for it. Just don't become too much of a dictator.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^^^ Sure why not. After thinking about this for a while there's no need to think too much as you're all still learning. Juat play whatever instrument you want, pick some songs and just have fun.
Soundcloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Without wanting to discourage you, at the moment I don't think you're really a band yet. See it more as a group of friends getting together for regular jam sessions. Let your roles evolve.

In terms of leadership though, all bands need a driving force. If you're happy to take on that role and your friends are happy to let you, then go for it. Just don't become too much of a dictator.

yeah that so true actually :') we are a "band" lol jk, we've barely done anything band like yet. We are just a group of friends jamming together, but I'm going to try and help the other two guitarists because I know they both want to be able to play pretty well and I think if I can help them and guide them on anything they may not be doing right we will eventually become band material ehehe :L
yeah i don't want to be a dictator. I'm pretty much the driving force behind most of the stuff that goes on. I give most of the ideas and then we all make that idea even better by putting everyones opinions and ideas together. Ive never been a real leader before, this is sort of the first time I've ever been a sort of "leader" so it feels sort of weird.
hey derrr
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Sure why not. After thinking about this for a while there's no need to think too much as you're all still learning. Juat play whatever instrument you want, pick some songs and just have fun.

yeah, we have to get used to playing with other people and stuff, i still need to perfect things with my guitar and i need to help the other two improve and learn a bit as well. I think I'll try bass out and also lead and rhythm guitar. see which I like best and am best at. I won't ever give up my guitar for good though (if I end up bassist). I'd like to be able to play more instruments ^_^
Like our initial thought when coming together as a group was, "lets just have some fun because our lives are pretty boring atm. If we end up good we could maybe do gigs and stuff and if some miracle happens and we get a bit of a fan base and stuff, then wow" :3
hey derrr
Yeah. I don't think you need to start taking the band too seriously yet. Play what you feel like playing and let it get more serious when it gets more serious. Just play and have fun. None of you are really good at playing your instruments yet (other than maybe the drummer) so you could swap roles and see which instrument you prefer and learn to play it better. In one song somebody can play the bass and in another song they could play the guitar. Bass and guitar are technique wise really close to each other. If you can play the guitar, you can technically play the bass. But bass is more than technique. It also has its own style and that's what makes guitar and bass different instruments. They sound different and have different ranges. But yeah, you'll be able to play the bass if you can play the guitar.

Also, I don't think every song needs a "lead guitarist" and a "rhythm guitairst" (if there are no solos or other kind of lead parts, there are no lead guitairsts). Most of the time lead guitarists also play rhythm. Lead guitairsts play the solos/lead parts but again, most of the time they play similar stuff than rhythm guitairsts. I don't think you need to decide who the lead and rhythm guitarist is. If somebody wants to play a solo, they become the lead guitarist in that song. But most of the time all guitarists are rhythm guitarists. And in many bands where there are two or more guitarists, all of them are both lead and rhythm guitarists.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah. I don't think you need to start taking the band too seriously yet. Play what you feel like playing and let it get more serious when it gets more serious. Just play and have fun. None of you are really good at playing your instruments yet (other than maybe the drummer) so you could swap roles and see which instrument you prefer and learn to play it better. In one song somebody can play the bass and in another song they could play the guitar. Bass and guitar are technique wise really close to each other. If you can play the guitar, you can technically play the bass. But bass is more than technique. It also has its own style and that's what makes guitar and bass different instruments. They sound different and have different ranges. But yeah, you'll be able to play the bass if you can play the guitar.

Also, I don't think every song needs a "lead guitarist" and a "rhythm guitairst" (if there are no solos or other kind of lead parts, there are no lead guitairsts). Most of the time lead guitarists also play rhythm. Lead guitairsts play the solos/lead parts but again, most of the time they play similar stuff than rhythm guitairsts. I don't think you need to decide who the lead and rhythm guitarist is. If somebody wants to play a solo, they become the lead guitarist in that song. But most of the time all guitarists are rhythm guitarists. And in many bands where there are two or more guitarists, all of them are both lead and rhythm guitarists.

yeah, I'm going to speak to the others tomorrow about maybe for a while we just play a bit of everything, try and get more confident with our instruments and see who can play what the best. Then we can assign roles to people.
Yeah, I can play guitar fairly well (for someone who's never taken a proper lesson before)...just not amazing. the other two guitarists need to build up confidence (and one still has to learn a fair bit) and I also need to hear them play more bc i didn't get to hear much of them last time we met up because we ran out of time (it was during lunchtime at school and we had like 10 minutes).
I'm sure I could pick up bass alright. I remember i did play bass a few times in year 7 and 8 for class performances in music but that was like 3 years ago. Since I already play guitar i think i can do it.

Question about the bass though, are the frets far apart and how difficult is it to play in comparison to a regular guitar?

oh ok that clears things up a bit. I guess we could make just two guitarists and whoever wants to solo can solo.
is bass a really important part? like would you rather have two decent guitarists in a group, with a pretty good bassist, or like one pretty good guitarist, a decent guitarist and a decent bassist? idek.
hey derrr
guys, i think i'll still learn bass though. I think it would be cool to be able to play two instruments and as GaryBillington said, good bassists are rare to find so if I could get good at a bass, maybe i could find a spot in another band if need be..a little easier than if i just played guitar..
I would still focus on guitar as well. Like, I'll continue to improve my guitar. I want to get good and be able to do solo parts and stuff...and I really want an electric guitar but my mum says i don't need one >.> *sigh* I shall just have to keep using the ones at school until i get better and convince my parents to let me get one.
Is it possible to practice and learn basic bass stuff on an acoustic guitar?
hey derrr
What GaryBillington said is true. Finding a good bassist and drummer is very difficult. I just found a bassist for my band. Luckily, our singer's brother happens to play drums

If you can get thick strings, you can tune your acoustic down an octave. I have done it before. Doesn't sound like a real bass but it's worth practicing on.

Get the thickest guitar strings you can find.

There are also acoustic basses.

Guitar/ band work is an expensive hobby. Try to get your own stuff without relying on your parents too much. It's what I did.
Last edited by darrenram1 at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by darrenram1
What GaryBillington said is true. Finding a good bassist and drummer is very difficult. I just found a bassist for my band. Luckily, our singer's brother happens to play drums

If you can get thick strings, you can tune your acoustic down an octave. I have done it before. Doesn't sound like a real bass but it's worth practicing on.

Get the thickest guitar strings you can find.

There are also acoustic basses.

Guitar/ band work is an expensive hobby. Try to get your own stuff without relying on your parents too much. It's what I did.

Ooh ok.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do about the bass thing.
Yeah..I think I need to get a job....
hey derrr
Yes, the bass scale length is a bit longer than on guitar but it hasn't really bothered me. It may be harder to play fast stuff on bass but then again usually you don't play that fast on bass because the lower you play, the easier you sound muddy. So fast stuff on bass may not sound that great. I wouldn't say it's any harder than guitar. It's just a bit different. But bass parts on songs are many times simpler than guitar parts.

And bass is really important. Without bass your band will sound terrible. (And by bass I mean any instrument that can play the low notes.) But as I said, bass parts are many times easier than guitar parts. Then again bass playing requires a better sense of rhythm than guitar playing. A sloppy bassist will make the whole band sound sloppy. Drums and bass need to be in synch to sound tight. Bass is usually more of a rhythm instrument than a melody instrument (though many times it plays both melodic and rhythmic stuff).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I find this thread hillarious......

...first of all if it had been posted by some screwy 17 year old metalhead boy.....he would most likely of been served a few dishes of short answers, been taunted and ridiculed... told to get his crap together and post again

....but no....this one gets her questions re-written and a pat on the head ;-)...gender-indifference my white old hairy ass!!

Now down to the nit´n´grit

1. get your crap together...your questions all over the place but basically...
2. the person that play´s guitar the best....plays guitar and
3. the person that plays bass the best plays bass and
4. the person that plays guitar the worst does not play bass, see #3
5. the tone deaf person does not sing nor does he/she play drums....see #3 but trade "bass" with "drums"

...that is the workings of a traditional band....with musicians

now what you have is 4 people whereof 3 guitarist (1 that´s able too play) and a drummer. So my recomendations is just jam, have fun, make up silly names for your band and enjoy yourselfs (cause that´s what it´s about).....those of you that click will keep on and then you´ll start building a band gradually bringing in new members that most likely will be able too play their instruments and "click" with the Music your already playing.... then you will have a band and we´ll look forward to seeing your posts about what PA Equipment you´ll be needing and so on...

;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
I almost think you are worrying about this too much. At this stage of your development you just need to make music, so keep it simple.

A lot of bands learn new songs acoustically. You can all hear each other and even talk to each other and you can walk into the rehearsal room and just play, no time wasted setting the amps up or miking the vocals.

Playing together is a whole separate skill and needs to be learned separately. If you can strum four chords and have a capo each you can make an attempt at hundreds of thousands of songs. The transition from chord strummer to rock god(ess) is one step at a time, so get together with the guitars you have and start learning one song at a time. Aim to do some acoustic open mic or a spot at school if you are still there and set yourself a time limit to achieve that. Once you know you can produce two or three songs worth performing you can worry about who plays bass.

So, yes, get together and jam and have some fun, If you want to learn bass then do it in parallel with your guitar. Bass and guitar aren't about strength but ultimately about technique and practice, there are plenty of tiny handed female bassists to prove this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XxkzCm-nrY. I play bass and we welcome people to the deep side. there's no doubt more demand than supply for bassists and drummers but guitar is more versatile, you don't have to choose yet though.

The basis of most bands is a group of friends getting together to play music. Just do it. one or two of you may fall by the wayside as musicians because it takes a lot of practice and commitment but if two or three of you come out at the other end still together you'll have the basics of a good band.

Good luck
thanks for the help :3
so far so good. everything is starting to get a little more organised.
tab girl is actually pretty good with tabs. She isn't so good at chords, but we are working on that. Was thinking she could do melodies and stuff when we play together. I mean, she's tons better than me at tabs anyway. She is pretty fast and said she hasn't played guitar for a bit because she's been busy, but she was pretty damn good for someone who hasn't practiced in a while.
The new girl is learning surprisingly fast. She was tiny hands, in fact she is tiny. She needs a smaller acoustic guitar than the ones we use at school, but with a smaller guitar, she would be awesome. She's learning so fast and is real dedicated. I'm surprised she managed to take everything in during the 15 minutes we were teaching her. (I know that's not long, lunch goes for 30 minutes and the teacher with the key to the music room disappeared and only came back like with 15 minutes left).
We just chilled at lunch today and played a bit, helping the new girl.
I am going to start teaching myself bass soon. I just feel it would be worthwhile knowing how to play more than one instrument.
Once everyone improves, we will start doing more stuff and properly assign roles to each other.
I spoke with the others today, and they also agreed to just waiting till everyone is more confident before we assign roles to anyone. Just to make it more fair and stuff.
So far it's been quite fun, everyone is really eager to do this. I have a feeling if we practice a lot, we will end up good.
hey derrr
It sounds to me like you all just need to practice. A lot.

I know everyone progresses at different rates but, at the risk of sounding like a dick (too late) i would expects someone who has been playing for four years to be at least reasonably adept at barre chords.

Dont worry about all the trappings of being in a band (gigs, fanbase, recordings etc). I think the best thing for you all to do is to just all play with each other in the garage, work out what each persons strengths are and just have fun all playing songs you like and take it from there.
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Feb 18, 2014,
Quote by LivinJoke84
It sounds to me like you all just need to practice. A lot.

I know everyone progresses at different rates but, at the risk of sounding like a dick (too late) i would expects someone who has been playing for four years to be at least resonably adept at barre chords.

Dont worry about all the trappings of being in a band (gigs, fanbase, recordings etc). I think the best thing for you all to do is to just all play with each other in the garage, work out what each persons strenghts are and just have fun all playing songs you like and take it from there.

oh yeah aha, i sort of didn't get my own guitar till late 2011. I was just using the schools guitars and playing mainly tabs and basic chords.
It wasn't until last year when I got my proper acoustic (before that i had a classical which pissed me off when i tried to do barre chords) that I actually started barring.So yeah..
Yeah we don't really care about gigs and all that stuff at the moment.....
hey derrr
I sought that opportunity to play bass. I chose a Fretless Bass, in fact. While my situation was reversed (they were better at electric guitar than I was, though I am still better than most) I found that the learning experience from playing the Fretless Bass was invaluable. We're all really happy with the progress being made; as playing the Fretless Bass is completely different than electric guitar, I found that Fretless was more suitable for me.

And in turn went from an average guitarist to one of the only fretless bassists around. Don't get me wrong, Bass isn't easier. Certain songs (Bleak by Opeth) I easily learned on electric guitar but really struggled with fretless bass. Not sure what style of music you're playing, but attempting bass could turn out to be your thing. You may be even more comfortable, as I am, with a bass.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God