Argghggh. I received a matched pair of JJ 6L6 GCs today in the mail, because I had money and I've put 2+ years on my existing pair. (Amp is a 6505+ 112 head).

Anyway, I installed them, let it warm up a bit longer than normal on standby, then fired her up. At first, I thought it sounded good, but not much different than before. After playing for awhile I noticed that they didn't seem to put out the volume that the old tubes did at the same post gain knob level. So on a whim, I looked around the back of the amp and low and behold, only one of the tubes was glowing! I hope this didn't hurt anything!

So I put one of my old tubes back in to see how it would sound with one new one and one old one. It sounded bloody amazing.

However, I know the tubes are supposed to be matched. I don't want to keep running it that way unless I'm certain it won't hurt anything. If it's simply a matter of "not sounding optimal" then that's not a concern. It has a tone that will rip your balls off if you stand too close. Hopefully I'll be able to send the one back and get a replacement -- maybe I'll have to send both just to get a truly matched pair in return.

Thanks for any input!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 15, 2014,
The reason you use matched tubes is so that when you set the bias they are all biased the same. That is because on most amps the bias voltage is common to all tubes. 6505's are biased so cold that unless you have done the bias mod it won't matter shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As Cathbard said the point of matching power tubes is so that they can be biased correctly. A stock 6505 is biased very cold so matched tubes are practically irrelevant. I would still see if you can get your money back or a replacement for the faulty tube.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
As Cathbard said the point of matching power tubes is so that they can be biased correctly. A stock 6505 is biased very cold so matched tubes are practically irrelevant. I would still see if you can get your money back or a replacement for the faulty tube.

+1 most sellers understand that some fail. it only happened once to me and they were fine and sent me a new set. i shipped, he wanted to test, so he confirmed that one is dead, and got some good ones back.

one thing, ordering from tube dealers match themselves and from my somewhat limited self experienced say to buy from a reputable tube dealer who match them and make sure everything works the first time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That's a relief, thanks guys! I received a bad preamp tube once and didn't have a problem sending it back for a replacement. This set came from TubeDepot on Amazon. Do you think I should send just the bad one back or both?

It made a surprising difference just having the one new tube in there. It wasn't that my amp sounded bad before, but after two years the power tubes just didn't quite have the same "life" in them. I should be getting a JJ ECC 803S in the mail early in the week -- looking forward to that too. As small the amount of changes just a few tubes can make, it sure is fun playing around with them!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
hit tubedepot up with a call or email and I'm sure they will make it right. I have had nothing but good experiences with them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate