I have a Fender Princeton Chorus (not the DSP model) and I've had a few issues with it recently. I didn't play it for a few months, and when I came back to play it, several of the knobs began making noise when I turned them. In fact, now, it seems that the bass knob has three positions - off, crackling sound, and full blast. The other ones have been manageable, but if it's going to get worse I'd say it needs to be fixed.

I'm assuming the potentiometers are dirty...? If I'm wrong, please let me know. At any rate, does anyone know how complicated the necessary fix would be, and if it would be possible to do this myself? (Just for the record, I have very primitive knowledge at best when it comes to the inner workings of electronics)
Quote by Ashakoh
I'm assuming the potentiometers are dirty...? If I'm wrong, please let me know. At any rate, does anyone know how complicated the necessary fix would be, and if it would be possible to do this myself? (Just for the record, I have very primitive knowledge at best when it comes to the inner workings of electronics)

there is the very very slim possibility of some mechanical problem with the pots that might require replacing... but that is hardly ever the case.

usually some kinda dust or dirt has gotten into the internals of the pot.

it is totally possible to take care of this yourself. in mainly entails twisting the knob of the amp back and forth until the crackling stops (you're working the grit out), i've had the crackling stop after a couple of twists and i have also had to twist knobs a whole bunch of times to quite the crackling, just depends on how much dirt is in there.

if it seems really persistent after a couple minutes of twisting then you should probably shoot some contact cleaner in there, this will help work the grit out. i don't recommend using normal WD-40, it's best to use actual electric contact cleaner. i think i use deoxit
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 15, 2014,
*facepalm* well, that was incredibly simple. I was halfway convinced that turning the knobs was having the opposite effect. It seems to have alleviated the problem completely though. Thank you!
Quote by Ashakoh
*facepalm* well, that was incredibly simple. I was halfway convinced that turning the knobs was having the opposite effect. It seems to have alleviated the problem completely though. Thank you!

tbh, the first time i heard about 'fixing' a scratchy pot i thought it was total BS. first i thought it couldn't be that simple and second i wondered how making the pot 'crackle and pop' a bunch could fix it.

you gotta find out from somewhere, and now that you know i can almost guarantee you that you'll come across someone with the same problem and you'll look like some kinda troubleshooting badass when you tell them how to fix it.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
tbh, the first time i heard about 'fixing' a scratchy pot i thought it was total BS. first i thought it couldn't be that simple and second i wondered how making the pot 'crackle and pop' a bunch could fix it.

you gotta find out from somewhere, and now that you know i can almost guarantee you that you'll come across someone with the same problem and you'll look like some kinda troubleshooting badass when you tell them how to fix it.

Yeah, man, I was a bit skeptical at first too. But I figured hey, why
Indeed, I'll make sure to pass on the knowledge.