Hey everyone,

My band is currently hoping to get working on our first EP, we've put out a couple live demos that we've done so far but were ready to step it up.

We want to do it all ourselves (or at least try) instead of heading to a studio. We've pretty much got everything figured out, but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the best way to track drums would be.

Basically I'm looking for a moderately priced USB interface that I could run into my computer into Pro Tools so that I could get each drum thats already mic'd up into a different track and tweak each drum from inside my DAW. I'd be looking for something with at least 9 inputs because that's how many mics we have on the kit right now, and something with decent mic pre's.

The drums are currently all mic'd and running through a small mackie mixer into the larger console which is hooked to a tascam tape machine, but we figure we'd have better control over the drum sound if we tweak it on the computer. I'd be running a snake from the mixer into the XLR or 1/4 (whichever you guys say would be better) inputs on the interface and then into the computer.

I'm currently using a Line 6 Toneport UX8 which has 8 XLR inputs on the back for my own personal recording use, but I'm not too keen on ripping apart my recording setup at the moment so if we could get a nice interface that we could plop downstairs to record drums on at a moments notice it would make life a lot easier on us all.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I really appreciate it!
Quote by Octavarius94
The drums are currently all mic'd and running through a small mackie mixer into the larger console which is hooked to a tascam tape machine, but we figure we'd have better control over the drum sound if we tweak it on the computer. I'd be running a snake from the mixer into the XLR or 1/4 (whichever you guys say would be better) inputs on the interface and then into the computer.
I don't really get what would you be using the mixer for if you were to track each piece of the kit separately.
Anyway, I can't really think of anything with 9 ins, only 8 and 16, so my best advice here, if I do understand what you actually wanna do, is reducing the setup to 8 mic's and getting a used onyx blackbird or saffire 40 or liquid saffire 56 or 8pre.
My preference would go from the first to the last, but if you find one of them for a tad less money, by any means get that.

Oh, and what would your budget be anyway?

Edit: oh wait you said USB interfaces.
Maybe a focusrite 18i20 would do anyway, but I'd get one of the interfaces I listed plus a PCI-E firewire card anyway (a brief research led me to find ones under $5).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
I don't really get what would you be using the mixer for if you were to track each piece of the kit separately.
Anyway, I can't really think of anything with 9 ins, only 8 and 16, so my best advice here, if I do understand what you actually wanna do, is reducing the setup to 8 mic's and getting a used onyx blackbird or saffire 40 or liquid saffire 56 or 8pre.
My preference would go from the first to the last, but if you find one of them for a tad less money, by any means get that.

Oh, and what would your budget be anyway?

Edit: oh wait you said USB interfaces.
Maybe a focusrite 18i20 would do anyway, but I'd get one of the interfaces I listed plus a PCI-E firewire card anyway (a brief research led me to find ones under $5).

Agree on reducing to 8 mics if possible, extra mic preamps are gonna cost a lot for that extra mic. I would however avoid FW interfaces like the plague. My friend bought a Saffire Pro 40, and went through about 6 firewire cards before he found one that was compatible with both his computer and his interface (firewire isn't as universal a standard as USB). The Scarlett 18i20 is the replacement for the Pro 40, so I'd look at that.
^ if you don't want problems with FW interfaces get a mac already
I still think it'd be best to get a FW interface, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't just make enough researches and find a working FW PCI-E card.
Plus, maybe it's just me but I could find the FW interfaces for cheaper than the USB's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 16, 2014,
I'm a Comp Sci student, please do not get me started on the OS debate (I actually like OSX, I just can't stand Apple as a corporation)

It's not just you, they are cheaper because they're on the way out. Finally someone caught on to the idea that USB2 is faster than USB1.1 and started using it for interfaces, and now that USB can keep up with FW it just makes more sense. Not to mention FW is going to be killed by Thunderbolt anyway.
^ since steve's death, they removed firewire ports from macs at all, though you can find adapters for pretty cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Any SIIG FW card with a Texas Instruments chipset should work just fine and cost you like $30... Sounds like your friend just didn't do any research and bought the cheapest one he could find.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Your right, but I betcha if you told the TS to go get any FireWire card they would do the same. That's why I bring it up every time, because I always forget which one it is that works ('cause I don't use FW) so I bring it up and someone like you who does know then responds appropriately.

I stand by not bothering with a dying technology though, who knows how much longer it will be supported.