i got a little over $2000 to mess around with. i have always wanted a SLO and i may be able to get one. if there are other suggestions i am more than open minded. i really want to get high end as possibly get. (please no 5150/JSX/XXX/etc.

i just don't know a few things for a SLO. i know they ahave a transferable warranty as long as nobody *****d with it so the warranty is still valid so work with Mike if something were to go wrong. it would be under warranty.

where would a good place to get it from i am going used for sure?

USED ONLY

genre - metal of every variation and have other amps to get other tones.

budget: ~2k USD

location tapma would be easiest.. i have a house around there. the other location doesn't

volume not an issue

don't need cleans at all. i have different amps for those.

i would like a little bit of info about them in general i have played them and i love the tone thats not an issue. i just would like to hear just experience what is a good fair price? if somebody is looking on here i will likely bite.

:cheers to you all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You have any experiences with Orange? Just throwing that out there, I know its not an SLO, but I'm just trying to be helpful...
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
You have any experiences with Orange? Just throwing that out there, I know its not an SLO, but I'm just trying to be helpful...

i was considering a ROV50 (my GC has one that has been in the store for months) but its not really what i am looking for. i like the 50w over than the 100w (which was there for a while) but not exactly what i am looking for this round. i do have a Dual Terror which gets a lot of play late night.

thanks for the rec
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Wizard Modern Classic

they sound amazing

i found the basic details, on them. i didn't see them for sale anymore at least according to google. would it be something i could get to my door for $2200 max?

thanks. ideas are great .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
What are VH4's going for these days?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT

i would love one of those, but wouldn't know where to find one and at the right price so i know what to shoot for.

i know you made the BV into a single channel amp with just CH3, right?

what is your take on SLO's?

thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i found the basic details, on them. i didn't see them for sale anymore at least according to google. would it be something i could get to my door for $2200 max?

Well they're about double your price range new but you can try used if you're in the US. Used market is pretty good there I believe.
Quote by Blackfire.

goddamn that is tempting.. will have to hear a couple videos. thats about 2hrs away though. which sucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
goddamn that is tempting.. will have to hear a couple videos. thats about 2hrs away though. which sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFFx60jTLHI

It says Tampa is less than an hour away from Winter Haven.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Well they're about double your price range new but you can try used if you're in the US. Used market is pretty good there I believe.

used market isn't best around here. half the ads on my CL have ridicules prices for a lot of things. its kind of useless for somethings, and a lot of it is cheap shit. people trying to ditch bugeras for $600???? etc. it sucks.

sometimes there is a gem though like the one above. but it used to be good and reasonable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Blackfire.

holy shit. i dig. maybe i will be going on a road trip tomorrow.

thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
holy shit. i dig. maybe i will be going on a road trip tomorrow.

thanks

Np, shit now I want one...

[..BLACKFIRE..]
Yeah I live in New Smyrna Beach and Winter haven is just on the other side of Orlando. a little over 1/2 way between me and Tampa.

Personally I'd rather have a Bogner Uberschall like this one for $1599 www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-BOGNER-UBERSCHAL-HEAD-W-KT88-UPGRADE-109809200-i3625160.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What about a Hybris? Give Craig a hoy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bogner ubershall's are da shitz, if you like it $1600 are a deal.
If you're into that kinda stuff you could get an AXE FX.
If you're into lotsa stuff, have a look at the rhodes gemini.

I don't really know 'bout SLOs.
I mean just looking at pictures, these transformers bigger than my amp look nice, but I'd try everything in person before dropping that kinda money on anything.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Bogner ubershall's are da shitz, if you like it $1600 are a deal.
If you're into that kinda stuff you could get an AXE FX.
If you're into lotsa stuff, have a look at the rhodes gemini.

I don't really know 'bout SLOs.
I mean just looking at pictures, these transformers bigger than my amp look nice, but I'd try everything in person before dropping that kinda money on anything.

i have played them before, not recently but that sat off the gas. its got just what i think i want., the ubers are nice but that one is modded and i don't trust that, nor do i trust with GC used mailed gear. i got ****ed twice (lost out on shipping twice the one i got didn't have a trem bar, the jack didn't physically in (prestige so you have the barrel jack and you can't fix them. :grr:
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've never played a SLO, but I had a Bogner Uberschall before the economy crashed and it was an absolutely amazing amp. Easily my favorite hi-gain amp I've ever played and I'd like to think I have played a few
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You might have a hard time getting an SLO for sub $2k. GC's used section used to be fairly decent for them, but they're listing them at ridiculous prices nowadays. I paid $2300 for mine, and sold it for the same price pretty quickly. Newer or those in better condition go for a couple hundred more on average. The SLO circuit hasn't changed since '87, IIRC, but due to component aging, the older ones do sound a bit different. The newer ones are tighter and brighter, while the old ones are a tiny bit slower to respond with a softer high end. Differences are subtle though, and a recap would make the old ones sound new again.

If you can find one for $2k, that's definitely a snatch it up right now price though. Unless you pull a Min and sell it to Ippon for what you paid, you'll make money when you sell it.

I know a lot of people say the SLO is painfully bright, but those people are cray and have probably never really sat down with one. It does sound its best when cranked up (and I mean really cranked, like 5 or 6 on the master, which is obnoxiously loud), but it's just fine at lower volumes as well. The piercing highs usually come from the speakers. My favorites with the SLO would probably be M magnet Creambacks, EVM12Ls and G12-65s. The stock Soldano designed Eminence speakers are also good with it. V30s can sound okay, but usually make the mids too nasally and harsh. Warren Haynes gets along fine with an SLO and V30s, but he doesn't play teh br00tz and keeps his gain really low. If you've got specific questions just let me know. I'd also look at Rhodes around $2k. The Orthos should be within budget, and they hold their values very well at the moment.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

$2800 is the lowest I've seen a Modern Classic. If you're looking for the heavier tones in the SLO, the Modern Classic can't do any of those nearly as well. It's basically a Jose modded Marshall circuit, and "modern" is a bit of a misnomer. Not good for modern metal in the slightest.

Quote by R45VT

$2600-3k. The latest revision (post 2007) seems to be going for $3k pretty consistently. The pre 2007 ones are lower gain with less compression. Channel 3 and 4 are much darker too. Post 2007 is where it's at.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I was afraid of the 3k price on the VH4. Ouch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
i am patient. i will look around. $2400 isn't a big deal if it was in good shape.

do you all do much on ebay? i have mixed feelings, but ebay and paypal are pretty safe.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Talk to Craig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am patient. i will look around. $2400 isn't a big deal if it was in good shape.

do you all do much on ebay? i have mixed feelings, but ebay and paypal are pretty safe.

You didn't go look at that Invader? Shame on you!
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Yea, but SLO prices are ridiculous on eBay. They never go for reasonable prices. I bought mine on TGP, IIRC. It was in worse shape than he described, and the choke was knocked out of place during shipping, but they were relatively easy fixes and cost me pretty much nothing in parts.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, but SLO prices are ridiculous on eBay. They never go for reasonable prices. I bought mine on TGP, IIRC. It was in worse shape than he described, and the choke was knocked out of place during shipping, but they were relatively easy fixes and cost me pretty much nothing in parts.

i have done well off TGP. i dont care for ebay, but good to know. thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I once owned a Bogner Ecstasy, and my buddy had a Shiva. I ended up selling him the Ecstasy which I still regret.

To this day, XTC+Shiva, I think it was the greatest pair of dirt you could ever get in one mix.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Why are you ignoring me?
Seriously, ask Craig what's going on with the ASG Hybris. They were coming in at around the $1k mark. They may not be actually built by Craig like an actual CEC that will set you back $3k or so, but he did design them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Why are you ignoring me?
Seriously, ask Craig what's going on with the ASG Hybris. They were coming in at around the $1k mark. They may not be actually built by Craig like an actual CEC that will set you back $3k or so, but he did design them.

The Hybris is a great sounding amp.

Since TS doesn't like a 5150 but is after a high gain amp the Hybris is a great option. Cleans are great fantastic. The Hybris had lots of definition and dynamics. It didn't sound compressed like some high gain amps.

If I wasn't spending $1,600 a class right now I would pick one up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Bogner Uberschall or Shiva
Soldano Avenger (if you only want the high gain like you said)
Mesa Roadster

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
I once owned a Bogner Ecstasy, and my buddy had a Shiva. I ended up selling him the Ecstasy which I still regret.

To this day, XTC+Shiva, I think it was the greatest pair of dirt you could ever get in one mix.

I love both those amps, but TBH, not for metal. The XTC is too woolly, and the Shiva doesn't have the balls. XTC is probably my favorite lead amp ever though. When I had my SLO, my 100B mixed beautifully with it for everything. Best pairing I've ever heard.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I love both those amps, but TBH, not for metal. The XTC is too woolly, and the Shiva doesn't have the balls. XTC is probably my favorite lead amp ever though. When I had my SLO, my 100B mixed beautifully with it for everything. Best pairing I've ever heard.

Ecstasy EL34 and Uberschall Twin Jet KT88, for me.
Quote by Ippon
Ecstasy EL34 and Uberschall Twin Jet KT88, for me.

what are ecstasy sitting for price wise?

i don't really know much about the hybris. i just haven't ever really heard [obviously not played] one]. when are they released? what would you compare it to?

$1600 isn't bad at all. but i don't like buying something new. but i will consider.

i guess i may not even know what i want myself. basically something different than my sig.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i got a little over $2000 to mess around with. i have always wanted a SLO and i may be able to get one. if there are other suggestions i am more than open minded. i really want to get high end as possibly get.

Well; the Soldano SLO is legendary for a reason. But if you want the ultimate in high gain, take a look at Diamond's Nitrox. Randall has just released an amp called the Thrasher that is supposed to be loaded with over-the-top gain, so it might be worth investigating if you can find one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Not sure what is happening with the Hybris, they did start making them. Like I said - talk to Craig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification