Sometimes i browse Ebay and in the description of a pedal there is "Made in Taiwan" or "Made in Japan". What does it mean? Does it mean that this is a low quality replica of a pedal made in Taiwan? I could only assume that if someone adds the manufacturing place, it measn that said product is originally manufactured somehwere else.

Is it bad?
USA is more considered top grade, but japan really are probably similar.

stereotypically japanese manufacturers make 'higher grade/quality' parts or are older and worth more or are just an older design no longer made.

Twain, indonisia india in, etc and other countries make more budget gear.

its a personal thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by iwannabesedated
I don't quite understand what you are asking. Can you give an example?

i think he just saw Made in _____ and didnt know how and why it matters.

prices vary, quality varies, value in terms of someday rare, some models weren't made in the same factory.

thats how i took the OP anyway.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think he just saw Made in _____ and didnt know how and why it matters.

prices vary, quality varies, value in terms of someday rare, some models weren't made in the same factory.

thats how i took the OP anyway.

That was one possibility. I also thought he might have seen like, a Boss pedal MIJ and another of the same model MIT and thought one was just a cheap copy of the other.

It's late.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I also thought he might have seen like, a Boss pedal MIJ and another of the same model MIT and thought one was just a cheap copy of the other.

I thought this too.

TS, taking iwannabesedated's example: if you saw 2 Boss pedals, the same model, but one says Made In Japan and the other Made In Taiwan, one isn't a copy of the other. Companies simply move their production lines sometimes, mostly to lower product manufacturing costs (like cheaper labor).

Still talking about this example, sometimes products made on certain countries develop a reputation of being higher-quality, and they fetch higher prices on the used market than newer stuff.

But this is many times related to poor quality check policies on some factories' production lines, and nowadays there are plenty of products Made In Indonesia, Korea, or even China, that are really good quality.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
for Boss pedals the made in japan ones are the older original pedals. in some cases the design was changed or the some of the components when production moved to Taiwan. this makes the Japanese made ones more desirable. sometimes this is just perceptions other times there is something behind it. research is your friend when making a decision on buying vintage pedals.
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
for Boss pedals the made in japan ones are the older original pedals. in some cases the design was changed or the some of the components when production moved to Taiwan. this makes the Japanese made ones more desirable. sometimes this is just perceptions other times there is something behind it. research is your friend when making a decision on buying vintage pedals.

This.

Like, the DS-1. I've tried a dozen of them. A couple Japanese, a few early Taiwanese, the current ones, etc. They all sound the same. Any difference between a Japanese made DS-1 and a current model was just as great as the variance between two current DS-1s. The older ones had a slightly thicker PCB though, so some people prefer them for modding.

Now, the Boss CE-2 on the other hand, the MIJ and early MIT are much better than the later MIT. Different chips I believe.
What im talking about is a BOSS CS-3 compressor sustainer. I dont think its vintage.

So what youre saying is that i shouldnt worry about the location? Since its not a replica or a cheaper model. Its the same BOSS CS-3 (to my understanding) only made in Taiwan.
Quote by GuitarDaddyCool
What im talking about is a BOSS CS-3 compressor sustainer. I dont think its vintage.

So what youre saying is that i shouldnt worry about the location? Since its not a replica or a cheaper model. Its the same BOSS CS-3 (to my understanding) only made in Taiwan.

Yeah. Should be exactly the same.
I wouldn't worry about it; BOSS are one of the most reliable companies on the market when it comes to pedals, and have been for decades. My HM-2 is made in Taiwan, ~1980s, works perfectly.
Quote by iwannabesedated
This.

Like, the DS-1. I've tried a dozen of them. A couple Japanese, a few early Taiwanese, the current ones, etc. They all sound the same. Any difference between a Japanese made DS-1 and a current model was just as great as the variance between two current DS-1s. The older ones had a slightly thicker PCB though, so some people prefer them for modding.

Now, the Boss CE-2 on the other hand, the MIJ and early MIT are much better than the later MIT. Different chips I believe.

the older ds1s had a pretty radically different circuit. I've never tried them so I dunno how much it affected the tone, but the original ds1 used a single op-amp (more like a rat in terms of circuit design) whereas the newer ones have a dual op-amp.

Quote by GuitarDaddyCool

it's probably only worth worrying about if you're talking about models where the circuit changed (some online research should help there) or if you're paying a premium- you don't want to pay a premium for a taiwanese one. They may (or may not) sound the same, but they're still worth less, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Boss Area has all the info you need.

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/cs3.xml

The CS-3 switched from the DBX1252 to the THAT2159 chip sometime in the early 90s.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Boss Area has all the info you need.

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/cs3.xml

The CS-3 switched from the DBX1252 to the THAT2159 chip sometime in the early 90s.

someone was taking the piss with that opamp name, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the older ds1s had a pretty radically different circuit. I've never tried them so I dunno how much it affected the tone, but the original ds1 used a single op-amp (more like a rat in terms of circuit design) whereas the newer ones have a dual op-amp.

I dunno about radically different. There were some changes over time (according to Bossarea it's only ever used a single op amp, although they did choose different ones) but like I said my ears could not detect any difference that would justify even the slightest difference in price.
was it? i thought i saw ones which had a dual opamp but i could well be mistaken on that I'll look into it

EDIT: yup.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf

the schematic on page 3 has a dual op-amp. i'm assuming it's accurate. According to that schematic the m223al seems to be a dual op-amp. the Rohm one might well be too, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 17, 2014,