Basically,

I lightly went over my Fender Stratocaster lightly with 600 grade wet n dry paper, then with a kitchen Scouring pad. The neck feels AMAZING! super smooth BUT! I naturally have sweaty hands when I play and find as soon as i use the neck it squeaks and sticks.

I made sure I left enough finish on the neck so I don't have to refinish it, I'm not interested in using tru-oil or tung oil. What would people suggest I use to lube the neck? I was thinking maybe something like Tone Fingerease?

Help would be very appreciated!

Cheers,
George
I'd be inclined to sand it up to 1500 grit or something, then buff with #0000 steel wool on that to get a satin finish. You would probably have been fine to just use #0000 steel wool straight on the neck without the 600 grit sanding. Were you following a tutorial or something?
Does the neck have a nitro or poly finish? If it's nitro, you'll probably never get rid of that sticky feeling. Just be sure you don't sand down to bare wood. I know someone who did that and it ruined the guitar - a Taylor.
I sanded the finish off the neck of my PRS and did a tung oil finish, plays like butter
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been using Finger Ease for a whole lot of years... I like it better than the others out there...

Me.. I spray it on, then let it dry... Nice and slick, without feeling greasy...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
That's the problem though, I'll sand it to the point where its smooth as a baby ass then due to the natural oils in my hand it's sticky in no time at all. To the point it limits my movement on the neck.
I'm not sure what finish it has, the guitars a Fender American standard Stratocaster.

I looking for something to counteract the natural oils in my hand. Simply sanding it isn't cutting it

If i was to use Tung oil, would I be able to apply it to a sanded neck that hasn't been sanded down to bare wood?
Last edited by EchoPark93 at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by EchoPark93
That's the problem though, I'll sand it to the point where its smooth as a baby ass then due to the natural oils in my hand it's sticky in no time at all. To the point it limits my movement on the neck.
I'm not sure what finish it has, the guitars a Fender American standard Stratocaster.

I looking for something to counteract the natural oils in my hand. Simply sanding it isn't cutting it

If i was to use Tung oil, would I be able to apply it to a sanded neck that hasn't been sanded down to bare wood?

You would need to sand all the finish from where you are putting tung-oil.

You can use GHS fast fret, just wipe the back of the neck with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GHS Fast Fret is nothing more than mineral oil. If you're going to do that, I'd recommend using a food grade mineral oil. I bought a big bottle at a local bed and bath store.
sounds to me like no matter what you do the sweat from your hands is gonna make it sticky........have you tried moisturizer or hand washes to try and lessen the affect? one other potion might be to rub baby powder on the neck before and after each playing session
I'd wax the neck. The wax will seal the wood and keep some of the grime from sticking. Its not a permanent solution but it should help.