Page 1 of 2
I like potatoes
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Can tell 0.75khz apart reliably apparently.

It's indicative, but no more so than any other aural test, like contour or rhythm etc.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Can tell 0.75khz apart reliably apparently.

It's indicative, but no more so than any other aural test, like contour or rhythm etc.

I'm 0 educated self teaching guitarist. I feel kinda odd doing this one. I can tell upto 2khz but at that point I can hear the difference of two sound but cannot name tag them higher or lower pitch.
0.815 for me
guess i rushed a bit

what's weird tho is that even at 0.375 or sth some were perfectly clear to me and then i struggled once or twice at 1.5
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Once I get to around 1.5hz I find it harder to tell the difference. I know that's pretty good but I feel kind of ashamed. On average, I get 3hz.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Apparently at .75 and lower I have an 'exceptional ear!', but it's only because I kept mashing the up arrow and happened to be right each time.
At around 1.5 though it got hard.
Apparently, I can reliably tell the difference at 0.7125Hz. When it got to 0.09whatever, it was damn near impossible.

I took it again, pushed it down to a 0.43125Hz apart reliably.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Feb 16, 2014,
Weird. I found some of them at 1.5 Hz diff to be more difficult than at 0.75 Hz. And I find that the ones with higher second note to be easier than the one with lower second note.

To TS: I tested it with two other people. Two of us musicians scored fairly better.

The ability is obviously quite useful but someone having accuracy up to even 0.75 Hz isn't going to be leaps and bounds ahead of someone with say 5 Hz imo.

I'm sure there's an average value for the aural resolving power for humans somewhere on the internet. If not then this test will provide it soon.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Someone posted this in MT earlier this week so I'm just going to copy and paste my answer:
Quote by sickman411
Same here. 1.5 was a bit hard for me too. I'd like to do one of these with two notes played at the same time. Ended up getting 3 Hz as a final result because I failed a 3 Hz one after getting a lot of 3 Hz ones right. 42nd percentile, I think. I did get 98.6th percentile on the tone deaf test, which was nice

I was going to say that doing this in Hz is a bit stupid and they should do it in cents. But I made the calculations and for small frequency differences it doesn't really matter very much. I'd still have done it in cents though.

Quote by sickman411
Update: I made a graph of the difference in Hz from a 500 Hz note vs difference in cents between the two notes. Thought it would be a nice thing for the MT public to know.

I also made a close-up from 0 to 5 Hz:

As you can see, the difference is tiny.
How "accurate" do you think this test is? Or maybe relevant is a better term. I always thought I had poor hearing, still can't tune my guitar. But it turns out I did better than 59% of the subjects. 1,65 Hz or something like that.
I got 0.825 Hz...I got to 0.1875 once but then I failed it

Anyway, I never really worked on ear training/trancribing by ear on a regular basis (maybe I had to work out some song by ear now and than, but in 3 years of playing it's not much).

How "accurate" do you think this test is? Or maybe relevant is a better term.

Well, I can have an almost exceptional ear, but still I struggle at learning complex stuff by ear (and with that I mean even things as simple as solos or "basic" chords)....I think that, musically, it's way more important to be used/came across certain kind of sounds/intervals to be able to recognise them.
For example, I couldn't recognise a C5/C5# chord sequence if I never played it in a song or a riff before, even if the test says I've got a good ear.

Just my opinion of course.
It's more a test of an isolated ability rather than an overall reflection of one's skills.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
From my first try:

Apparently I get better at higher pitches...

lmao this is my score:

No one scored worse
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Feb 16, 2014,
I don't see how being able to tell the difference between 2 tones up to 0.75 Hz would be useful to you in creating music whatsoever but I'm sure you'll all get elitist about it haha
I did pretty disappointingly on that test, but got 88% on the rhythm test.

edit: I retook the pitch test, this time with headphones on, and got .825 Hz
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by Michele_R

Well, I can have an almost exceptional ear, but still I struggle at learning complex stuff by ear (and with that I mean even things as simple as solos or "basic" chords)....I think that, musically, it's way more important to be used/came across certain kind of sounds/intervals to be able to recognise them.
For example, I couldn't recognise a C5/C5# chord sequence if I never played it in a song or a riff before, even if the test says I've got a good ear.

Try the "Tone Deaf" test on the same site. It's a lot harder, and has much more to do with how well you transcribe music.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
awesome, did the test many times at first I was bombing it but by the end I was getting the .1875s regulary.
Quote by willT08
I don't see how being able to tell the difference between 2 tones up to 0.75 Hz would be useful to you in creating music whatsoever but I'm sure you'll all get elitist about it haha

It might be nice to know in the context of stuff like tuning instruments by ear (yeah Will, we know you don't have to tune your wub machinery ) and to know how you compare to other people. But yeah, I guess it's mostly something to brag about.

The tone deaf test, like someone said before, actually measures something that's pretty useful to gauge. The fact that you can only play the clips once is a bit annoying, though.
Quote by henrihell
Try the "Tone Deaf" test on the same site. It's a lot harder, and has much more to do with how well you transcribe music.

I tried it and my result was 75% correct, but I don't know if the same melody in 2 diffrent keys was supposed to be considered same or diffrent... (maybe I should have read the text twice or maybe it's just because I'm not native speaker that I didn't get this part of the task).

I also tried the other 2; in the musical-visual I got 85%, 52% on the rhythm test, which says: possible rhythm perception or memory deficit
Quote by willT08

Cos identifying dissonance is super important when you're sorting your mix out and trying to figure out exactly why a tune sucks.

1.5hz on this test and 80.6% on the tonedeaf thing. Not bad yeh.
Quote by captainsnazz
Cos identifying dissonance is super important when you're sorting your mix out and trying to figure out exactly why a tune sucks.

1.5hz on this test and 80.6% on the tonedeaf thing. Not bad yeh.

If my kick's tuned to my sub, what else is in my tunes to sort out?
I was solid at .7hz, .375 I could get right most of the time

I'm gonna do this really really high later tonight, I'm really interested to see how this goes. I'm gonna do the complete battery of tests available and post back tonight.

Adaptive Pitch test: Consistently correct at .7, varying at .375
Tone Deaf test: 75%
Rhythm test: 68%

Pitch discrimination: 94.2%
Musical memory: 97.0%
Contour discrimination: 85.5%
Attention: 93.5%
Musical/visual abstraction: 97.7%

I had a very busy and tiring day yesterday, got too much sleep last night and haven't really done anything today. As a result, my head feels hazy and groggy, not thinking clearly. Maybe I'll do this again tomorrow or right before I smoke tonight with hopes of a clear head.

I'm not surprised by these scores much. I have a harder time with rhythms than I do with melodies, but I am surprised I only got 75% on the Tone Deaf test. I guess Iron Man 3 playing in the background isn't helping, but it is what it is, and I've always had a pretty good ear for differentiating pitches. I'm really happy with the AMVI test, though; I've always felt like I may some mild synesthesia and I feel like the score may show that a bit. I found it incredibly easy, though, so I'd be interested to see other people's score on that particular test.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Last edited by Angus_Junior35 at Feb 16, 2014,
74th percentile mo****as
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
I'm trying to do this, but my ****ing dad is playing Call of Duty in the background, and even with my headphones on, the sound of gunfire and explosions is making this way harder than it needs to be.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Tone deaf: 83.3%
Pitch: 1.575hz apart (speakers not headphones)
Rhythm Test: 80%

Visual Score: 70%
Pitch discrimination: 62.3%
Musical memory: 68.5%
Contour discrimination: 66.3%
Attention: 71.0%
Musical/visual abstraction: 75.1%

That was vastly enjoyable. Looks like I am above average in most without being terribly superior. I am not very tone deaf and my pitch is really high apparently.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Last edited by DamienEx1021 at Feb 16, 2014,
I got an exceptional performance

TBH there were some that were slightly off (less than a semitone on some notes) and I guess the program considered them to be the same.
Page 1 of 2