just as the title says. i decided to part ways with my 5150ii. it was a great amp. but it was just way too loud for what im doing. not in a band, living in an apartment, blah blah blah. anyway its gone but i did pull the trigger on this

yep got my hands on a v3m!

review thingy:
overall the build quality is there!! im always impressed with carvin. the amp is nice and lightweight but you can tell its built like a tank. the picture looks like the metal is messed up but its not.

channel 3: the cleans. of course its 100 times better than the 5150. lol very clear and bell like. i pretty much have the eq set at noon and it sounds great. turn up the drive and you can get a nice mild crunch or blues tone. i dig it

channel 2 & 1:
they are basically the same channel. i have 2 set up as a tight rythym channel with lower mids, and channel 1 set up with a bit more drive and higher mids for lead. i will say the gain channels are very clear you can hear all the notes ring. for such a small amp it packs some serious punch.

with all that said. the eq is very responsive. there are a ton of eq options and tweakability. im digging the multi watt selections. it makes for a great at home and live amp which is what i wanted. the reverb is quite nice carvin never skimps out on features.
overall i am going to miss my 5150 but this is more practical. i came into this knowing that i wont get 5150 tones but i was pleasantly surprised with the effort this amp can give to sound close if you try. plus the leds are cool and we all know they help with tone. overall i really like the amp, like i said its more practical for what im doing. it sounds great im digging the el84's here soon ill give it a tube swap to see what it does. im a happy guy right now

Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But I read on Ultimate Guitar that those high gain amps are fine for practice because the gain comes from the preamp anyway…
lol they forgot to mention that they are also LOUD AS F*&$ even when using the "volume"
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

have you changed tubes before?

first thing i would do is give a gander to the brand of preamp tubes in there. many claim that v3ms are "fizzy" in the gain department, and most stock amps (that are not ultra boutique) have fairly garbage stock tubes in them. nothing against Carvin or whoever, its just economics. not to mentioned they ship these all over the country / world, so why not put crap tubes from the factory that are just going to end up in some -0 degree truck or plane.

if they are the typical sovtek 12ax7wa or something, trash em and your tone will improve immensely. if not all 5, then v1 (first preamp tube) will still work wonders.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Strongly considered one of these before I got my ironheart studio. Definitely couldn't have gone wrong either way tho good pickup
Quote by iheartgun
lol they forgot to mention that they are also LOUD AS F*&$ even when using the "volume"

I used Valveking 100w head in apartment without issues. Yes the volume knob is sensitive as as shit without global master volume and you needed a silk touch to adjust the volume but bedroom volumes were still always achievable.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Nice grab! I have the full size v3 and it's quite a wonderful amp.

If you don't use one already, get a boost. It'll tighten up the gain channels even more and get some nice saturation. If you use with the gain on the clean channel up a bit you can get a pretty sweet classic rock tone (I like it just at the edge of break-up personally).

Definitely try some tube rolling, it's very responsive to tube swaps.
Nice. How exactly do the distorted channels compare to the distortion of the 5150? I was trying to choose between a V3M, 5150 III and Single Rectifier and ended up with the Recti because it was the only one I could demo before buying. Loving it, but I'd be interested to know how the 5150 and V3M compare directly.
I've owned a 5150 and a 6505 in an apartment. To tame them all you have to do is put a volume control in the loop and turn it down.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if you can do me a favor and please post the highest gain demo you can with this thing. I'm really curious about how it sounds.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Niiiice!
Happy NAD brother!

Reminds me that I still gotta put leds in my amp's chassis...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Offworld92
I've owned a 5150 and a 6505 in an apartment. To tame them all you have to do is put a volume control in the loop and turn it down.

This. The volume jump between 0 and 1 is very touchy on most "big" amps. To get around this set the volume somewhere in between and use a volume pedal or something in the loop to give yourself precise control of the volume. This is what I do at home for quieter playing.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
sorry guys i was at work. ill try to answer this in order the best i can:
first and foremost thanks to all

first on the 100w amp for home use subject:
i have owed the following "big" amps
crate blue voodoo
peavey 5150ii
peavey 3120
carvin legacy (LOUDEST AMP IVE EVER PLAYED BTW!!!!!!! )
b52at 100

and i have used and played all of them in either a small house or an apartment while using them for gigging purposes. ive tried the volume knob in the fx loop trick it works but its something extra i didnt feel like buying again. i mainly got rid of it not because i couldnt tame the loudness as i dont give a F&*K about my neighbors and their "needs" lolol i just dont need or want something that big anymore. i understand that 50w is just as loud (50 watts is 3 db less overall as 100 w) but after playing the v3m it just seemed to be able to be tamed a little easier. if that makes sense. mind you 3 of those amps i use to own were non master volume amps. i just dont need a huge piece anymore

TJHague:
i actually run 2 types of boost on my board. a clean boost for VH type stuff and a ts9 for everything else.

ikey_:
on changing tubes. yep i bias and change my own stuffs! im gonna look into sovtec 12ax7lps for the phase inverter they work great there and probably jjs for the rest maybe a 5751 for whatever position the clean channel uses

the gain:
does it sound like a 5150? no. can it get in the ballpark? yes and no. to me the only thing that will ever sound like a 5150 is a 5150. the v3 amps are naturally kinda fizzy sounding but its all in how you eq it. and what you are running into it. i got it in the same ballpark and i believe it would mesh well with one onstage.

and lastly of course ill post some sound bytes. ill get it done tomorrow hope this mass answer, answers some questions.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

1) Nice amp
2) Sorry about the 5150
3) Don't do that "LE MEME XDDDD" stuff please.
the steve vai newer legacy series? aprently they changed the volume controls to have "the same tone at any volume" says the promo videos.

ive been liking tung sol v1, jjs, and then a 12at7 in the PI. i have also considered putting a 5751 in v1. with an amp with THAT much gain as a v3m, a 5751 would probably do a great job. you can spair a tad bit of gain. you probably wont even notice a decrease, perhaps just a bit more clarity.

to all - there are A LOT of youtubes on this thing.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I know how much it sucks downgrading watts at first, but trust me, its worth it in the end! Especially with an amp that good! HNAD
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by ikey_
the steve vai newer legacy series? aprently they changed the volume controls to have "the same tone at any volume" says the promo videos.

ive been liking tung sol v1, jjs, and then a 12at7 in the PI. i have also considered putting a 5751 in v1. with an amp with THAT much gain as a v3m, a 5751 would probably do a great job. you can spair a tad bit of gain. you probably wont even notice a decrease, perhaps just a bit more clarity.

to all - there are A LOT of youtubes on this thing.

nope it was the legacy 1. loudest motherf&^ker on earth i swear!!!!!

now that you mention it i think i will snag a 5751 and throw it in v1 this amp does the clarity thing like it is its job. if i dont like it ill throw it in the PI. i used sovtec 12ax7lps as my PI in the 5150 and they did a great job in that position. i really liked them.

and +1 to all there are a butt ton of videos but i still shall throw up some clips.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board