im learning the song up in smoke by cheech and chong.
here is the link: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/cheech_and_chong/up_in_smoke_crd.htm

my problem is, that after a chord it will say add4 or add9, and i dont know how to do that.
i know that its note another chord, its a sequence of notes and i dont know what they are. so if anyone can help me that would super awesome! thanks!
Hello Tjallen919
I can maybe help you even if I am french with poor english. add4 mean that with each chord you must add a fourth to the usual chord.
For example an A chord is made with the pattern A--C#--E.
So to A chord you add a D note who is the "fourth" note of the scale of A .
count with fingers 1-A (tonic, keynote)
2-C# (third)
3-D (fourth)
4-E (fifth or quint)
The problem is to find this 4 notes on the neck. The same is for A add9
here you should add a B to the A chord because A B C D E F G A B (the ninth)
I hope you understand me
Enjoy
Stranger
A7add4 is a dominant chord quality. The notes are A C# D E G.
The Fourth will most likely be added on the top, above the G as otherwise we get a cluster of the C# D and E notes which might not sound too good.

I would play it like this in root position:

e---0 ------- 5th, E
B---3 ------- fourth, D
G---X/0 ------- mute or play open, if played open it's a G (obviously)
D---5 ------- Minor seventh, G
A---4 -------- Major third, C#
E---5 -------- Root, A

The fifth can be omitted if you don't want it in the top as the third seventh and fourth are more important.
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 16, 2014,
It would be best to avoid using open string in chords. A movable shape is more beneficial in the long run.
Quote by Deadds
It would be best to avoid using open string in chords. A movable shape is more beneficial in the long run.

Why? It's not really efficient to limit oneself to moveable shapes, especially with chords like A7add4. It makes it much easier to finger a chord like that, if you take advantage of the open e or open g.