Here's my new used, spur of the moment insane online purchase of a Takamine EG544SC-4C Acoustic Electric. Solid cedar top, koa back and sides. She has a nice warm, dry tone better suited for someone who can play much better than me. I paid $200 for her. Made in Korea, so of higher quality slave labor than the chinese death camps. From what I understand, the Korean ones have better electronics. Don't ask me. It's a TK-40, which means nothing to me.

A rescue kitten showing off the new guitar. She adores it when I play, and adores it more when I put on some Muddy Waters.

Believe it or not, that large tabby is only 7 months old. He's the calico's brother. I think he cracked a rib the other night when he jumped on me. Also a rescue.

Some of the damage. It might not show, but there's several deep checks in the top, and some in the sides as well. The headstock is also missing a few small chunks.

The worst, near the bottom strap peg/jack. I apologize for the quality of the pics, my only camera is a cell phone. Which I use only rarely as a camera.

While it's a bit battered, it actually came in better shape than I expected (expect the worst, that way you'll never be disappointed. It works in dating real well, especially around here). There are no dead frets, (which puts it at a higher quality than 90% of the GC new stock), no buzzing frets, intonation is dead on, and the action is set pretty low.

When I got it, the strings on it were rusted, with a couple of the wound ones having chunks mussing out of them. A new set of Martins made all the difference, she sings pretty now. Or at least as pretty as my skills can make her.

The onboard tuner works, though I have to hit the strings pretty hard to get it to register. Probably a loose wire. I do not have an acoustic amp to check the sound while plugged; I suppose I could hook it to my egnater, but I have the distinct feeling that it won't work out all that well, regardless of the quality or state of the electronics.

She creaks a little bit, and she's been abused (seriously, who buys a guitar to bash it against stuff?), but for $200, I doubt I could have done much better. I haven't any pics of it, but the back has a slight figuring to it, which is real pretty. I think this would be a good looking guitar had it not been used as a hammer.

She still plays well, sounds good, and will probably be used in a recording soon enough, assuming I find the free time. My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought....careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
Last edited by azrael4h at Feb 16, 2014,
good thing of you to take upon yourself all of those rescues ! now you need only find someone abusing his Ferrari !
happy old, beat-up,abused, neglected guitar day !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
What I need is for people to quit dumping cats and dogs, who proceed to grow wild, get pregnant, and spawn hordes. I have 4 kittens from this one dumped momma cat, and she has two sisters, one pregnant, one who has 3 kittens, and is wild as can be. And the calico isn't spayed yet, waiting until spring since she's locked inside away from any horny toms.

I did hook the guitar up to my amp. I was surprised that it sounded pretty decent, given the situation. So it should be passable should I ever get over my inability to play around other humans and increase my hatred for humanity to the point I'm willing to torment people with my singing so I can play some of what I write live.
What you really should rescue is, a camera, (with a lens hood), and a book on lighting. (*)

And BTW, Happy New Cat Day.....

(*) I know, I say mean things. In my own defense, it's most likely because I was abused and ignored.

I have a 25 pound, aging Maine Coon male, that I mostly rescued from a local SPCA.

And here again, in my own defense, while he is roguishly handsome, and somebody else would have likely snatched him up, but you never know. The SPCA branch I got him from, has one of the highest, if not the highest, kill percentage in the country.....

Quote by azrael4h
....[ ]..... she's locked inside away from any horny toms.
Ah, I remember fondly and vividly as if it was yesterday, more than four decades ago, when I was a "horny tom"

Quote by azrael4h
I did hook the guitar up to my amp. I was surprised that it sounded pretty decent, given the situation. So it should be passable should I ever get over my inability to play around other humans and increase my hatred for humanity to the point I'm willing to torment people with my singing so I can play some of what I write live.
You may never get over your stage fright, but I surely wouldn't let that stop me from plugging in....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 16, 2014,