Amps aren't an issue right now. I need to know which of these is better for playing dirty, lo fi garage rock. (maybe a little surf too.)
Amps are always relevant!

Either guitar will do both of those sounds equally as well, just a bit different. Which bands are you looking to emulate? I'm likewise a huge fan of Shoegaze and Surf.

What's your amp? That is infinitely important in Surf.
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
Amps are always relevant!

Either guitar will do both of those sounds equally as well, just a bit different. Which bands are you looking to emulate? I'm likewise a huge fan of Shoegaze and Surf.

What's your amp? That is infinitely important in Surf.

I'm using presets in logic for now but I plan on either getting a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb.
Budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Either will do the job - Johnny Marr, Kurt Cobain, J Mascis, Kevin Shields, Thurston Moore, Lee Renaldo, Alex Turner, Elvis Costello, Chris Cornell (prior to Soundgarden splitting in the 90s), John Frusciante, Graham Coxon....

Plenty more out there, too.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by JustRooster
I'm likewise a huge fan of Shoegaze and Surf.

This reminds me, if you ever come to the Dallas area, look me up. We shall enjoy good Tex-Mex and launch the next great genre of music: surfgaze.

(After I master Djentstep, of course.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
This reminds me, if you ever come to the Dallas area, look me up. We shall enjoy good Tex-Mex and launch the next great genre of music: surfgaze.

(After I master Djentstep, of course.)

Surfer Blood, Best Coast, and Wavves already got you beat, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSVzKnObPhE
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 17, 2014,
Thanks for that! I checked out all 3 bands. I may have to buy some...

However, they're not quite what I had in mind... I was thinking more Dick Dale or Laika & the Cosmonauts meets Lush and Curve. Maybe a bit of J&MC and Cocteau Twins thrown in.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 17, 2014,
Back to the original question, though...

Singlecoils and/or P90s are the pickups of choice for doing spy/surf/space and lo-Fi, though if you know what your doing and have the right pedals & amps, even HBs & miiHBs are fine. ESPECIALLY if you're trying to define your own take on the genres.

A good reverb is a must. Depending on the precise sound you're aiming for, you'll also want echo/delay, chorus, fuzz and distortion. In some cases, all you need is just the slightest taste...

For an amp, well, I like a combo amp with a great clean tone. That's my blank slate upon which I write with my pedals & guitars. In my case, its a Fender HRD, but awesome clean tones can be found from Vox & Carvin as well.

Play them and pick the one you like the feel of most. The tones are interchangable but the feel is. Jazzmasters are 25.5" scale and Jags are 24". An inch and a half is a huge difference in how they feel. The spacing of the frets and the tension of the strings. You can't compare these guitars because they're the most different in the most important way guitars can be.