Hi there everyone. I am in the market for a new or used amp. It's use will be primarily for gigging (full band, drummer, bass, 2xguitar).

I play mostly alternative, progressive and skramz/punkish music and am looking for an amp that in particular has good cleans and is very responsive to dynamics in playing. Definitely need decent headroom. I play mostly rhythm in my band but my style of guitar playing is almost like playing rhythm and lead at the same time so I need excellent clarity and note definition.

At least two channels and a footswitch option would be ideal so I can switch from clean to dirty. Or I could just use an overdrive pedal, however good sounding natural overdrive is also important to me. I don't have as much use for high gain sound and if I ever do, I will just use a pedal.

My budget is up to 1000$, however I would like to spend less than that unless the amp is truly worth it. Some options I am considering at the moment are the Blackstar HT 60, the Carvin V3M, Vox Night Train and the Fender Bassman (LTD or RI, or possibly one of the 70w silverfaces as they seem to be cheaper on the used market although I'd like more information regarding their sound). Open to ANY other suggestions as you all probably know a heck of alot more than I do.

Also, advice on whether to go combo or head and cab would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Used Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 run $500-$600
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a Mesa Dual Rec and play mostly punk and metal and it sounds great. Marshall JCM series would also be a good choice but I personally prefer the tone of Mesas over Marshall. Check out both and see for yourself though.
Quote by Faux
Does the JCM series have good cleans?

Yeah, really good cleans actually.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by phayzze
I use a Mesa Dual Rec and play mostly punk and metal and it sounds great. Marshall JCM series would also be a good choice but I personally prefer the tone of Mesas over Marshall. Check out both and see for yourself though.

yeah cause TS is totally gonna get a Dual Rec for less than $1000
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

actually I see them all the time for $800-$900 especially the Tremoverb and you can get Mesa single recto/rectoverbs for $600-$700 all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The DSL and Recto are both nice choices

Also look at:
Krank 1980
Peavey JSX
Mesa F series
Mesa DC series
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Faux
Found a DC5, an F30, and a Rectoverb 50 all 1x12 combos within similar price ranges (6-700). Any thoughts on those? Will a combo be ok in the long run for gigging or will I need a head and cab?

A combo can be fine, but you will probably want to get an extension cab so you can effectively have a 2x12 set-up. Rectoverb is the better amp for what you want IMO, but the DC-5 is nice if you want more of a Mesa Mark III/IV type tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mesa Mark 4
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A Peavey JSX might be the way to go, I remember it being more dynamic than the Marshall DSL. The clean channel definitely stomps on the DSL.

A Mesa DC-5 would also be cool choice. It comes in head format if you want to throw a 212 or a 412 under it.

I haven't spent enough time with Recs to get a good feel for their dynamics, sadly. But they don't really strike me that way.

EDIT: There's a DC-5 head on eBay ending in an hour.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 17, 2014,
Mark IV is better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

If you're paying more than $1000 for a used Dual Recto, you're doing something wrong.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
From all I've been reading, hearing, and everything that has been mentioned in this thread I'm leaning toward the Mark IV, JSX, or the DC-5. Only sticking difference really is price. Also, I can physically test out the acutal Mark IV i'd be getting but can't test the DC-5. I could test out a JSX in a local store, but it seems cheaper online.

So, extra $400 or so the Mark would be...worth? If someone could tell me some specifics here with regard what the differences would be that would really help me make up my mind. Either way, I'm likely pulling the trigger on something by tomorrow
I play similar music to what you're describing. Sounds like an Ampeg V4 would be perfect. It's single channel so you'd need a solid overdrive pedal, but the cleans are unbeatable. For a cab, look for Marshall 1960s, old Peavey stuff, or Avatars.

EDIT: Also there's no reason to buy new. Craigslist is your friend.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Feb 18, 2014,
Yes, the Mark 4 is worth the extra. The others are good amps but Marks rock. The Marks are their flagship amps, they're just a cut above.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Mesa F30 and it is now my primary gigging amp. Really good Fender-ish clean tones and it takes pedals really well. You can add an ext closed cab for more punch but I never do. That little amp is loud ass clean or dirty. Also consider a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille. Very underrated amp but for the music you play it will be a workhorse with great tone. Neither of these are a first choice if you need to go down to Metal town.
Quote by Cathbard
Mesa Mark 4

Seconding this. The Mark IV and numerous other preamps on my Mark V is what sold me on it, but the real thing blows the V out of the water.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Faux
Hey all! Thanks for the input. Ended up checking out the store with the Mark IV and fell in love with it. 900$! Footswitch included and they threw in a set of acoustic 12-string strings I needed and picks! I'll put clips and pics up or something at some point maybe.

WOW, you sir got an awesome amplifier.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
I wish I could get a Mark IV in Canada for less than $1500...
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Feb 19, 2014,
Good choice. Make sure you do a NAD won't you?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification