I have a buddy wanting to purchase a second hand JCM 900 SL-X 2500 in what seems to be very good shape for 500 bucks. I'm helping him dig up some info on it.

I searched but couldn't find much on the 2500.... so many models of jcm 900s!

Hows the crunch, rock tone out of these things? How's it compare to the JCM 2000s? (what im familiar with)
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 16, 2014,
It is an awesome hi-gain amp. most people prefer the 900 SL-X to the JCM2000 for just gain. It is not very versatile though.

Do you know if it is the EL34 or 5881 version? most prefer the EL34 version, but both are good

For $500 if it works I'd snatch it up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's an SLX. They're awesome. Works well for pretty much anything rockish you throw at it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The SL/X is the good one. It is basically a Mk3 without the clipper with an extra two stages of gain from an extra 12AX7. So they have two master volumes but only one gain knob. So they are a single channel amp with two masters. Nice amp.
The SL/X was released in an attempt to save face after the Dual Reverb fiasco. The DR used op-amps and clipping diodes to do the boosting and add distortion. They were an actual two channel amp but infamous in their shitfulness and deceipt. They billed them as all tube and then we looked inside the first time we had to bias one and were all Was quite the scandal in the day.
The two master volumes on the SL/X are still op-amp driven but they don't really do any harm in that part of the circuit. It's when they were using them to cause distortion that it all went to hell. Master volumes just have to be a clean boost/cut.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 17, 2014,
Damnit. As soon as I found info and started liking the SLX he is now looking at a Mesa Single Rec for classic/hard rock tones.
The SL-X shits on a Single Rec, IMO. I had one, the most glorious, raw distortion tone, just so unruly and awesome. Convince your friend he is wrong, the SL-X is the best Marshall has to offer in high gain, a lot more character than some old silly Rectifier
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The SL-X shits on a Single Rec, IMO. I had one, the most glorious, raw distortion tone, just so unruly and awesome. Convince your friend he is wrong, the SL-X is the best Marshall has to offer in high gain, a lot more character than some old silly Rectifier

+1!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.