Today I reluctantly went into Guitar Center looking to kill some time. I have been thinking about buying a new amp. I have had my eye on the Fender Hot Rod deluxe III, in a 1x12. There was a guy playing on the amp next to it and he had it cranked up so loud I could hardly think. While I was waiting for him to finish I was circling the racks and a I saw a Bad Cat Cougar 5. Once again, a youngster and his buddy were occupying the amps on both sides of it.I wandered around the store for almost 45 minutes and the three little savants never budged. I went home and researched the Bad Cat amp and found where they make a 5, 15, and 50 watter all in a 1x12. Also, I discovered these amps aren't really made by Bad Cat. They are Chinese. A seal of approval and the name is about the only thing they get from Bad Cat. On to my question:

Has anyone had any experience with these amps? Likes? Dislikes? Problems?

I was really wanting a hand wired amp with the features that these two amps have, but not wanting to spend multiple mortgage payments on an amplifier. I have always though highly of the Matchless and Bad Cat amps, but never could afford one. I am going back tomorrow when they open and hopefully I can get the seat time with both amps.
They are made by Kustom amps. they even use PT/OT's that say Kustom on them. Your paying a premium for the name.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I recorded a few songs using a Bad Cat 30. It cranked and honestly I thought it was incredible. A little while ago I went in with high hopes of the Cougar, just because of my previous experiences and the whole, see high price, ASSUME high quality. I liked it but it was nothing that made me consider it over another amp. I didn't think the price was worth it for what I wanted it for, just something to play with at home and MAYBE use for band practice instead of unloading the whole trailer. I was a little unimpressed with the drive I got out of it, even completely cranked, and just didn't 'feel' it

It wasn't for me.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are made by Kustom amps. they even use PT/OT's that say Kustom on them. Your paying a premium for the name.

Yup. Bad Cat US wasn't terribly happy with them either, IIRC. They're okay amps, but worth a couple hundred max. MF/GC blew them out super cheap some time last year.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
a lot of makers do this to try to play in other markets. you think the cheaper line of PRS amps is made in the US? i bet my bottom dollar no.

bad cat US amps are friggin awesome though.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
a lot of makers do this to try to play in other markets. you think the cheaper line of PRS amps is made in the US? i bet my bottom dollar no.

bad cat US amps are friggin awesome though.

No the cheaper PRS amps are made in Asia they sound decent, but your paying a premium for the PRS badge.

The Bad Cat Cougar series is not a Bad Cat amp, nor do they sound the same. They are basically made with Kustom Defender parts. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the product is not worth the price.

Even BadCat was not happy with the way the amps turned out that says something there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

The Bad Cat Cougar series is not a Bad Cat amp, nor do they sound the same. They are basically made with Kustom Defender parts. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the product is not worth the price.

Yep, I like the Kustom "The Defender" amps (The newer top controls v. the older front control units), but if the Cougar is a Defender with altered visuals that's somewhat shady.

It would explain why they discontinued the Kustoms though...and why I got a V50 for less than the cost of the speaker in it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin