Okay, so what I have now is a Peavey 6505+ combo Amp with three guitars at my disposal. Gibson SG standard, Dean from Hell, and a Schecter SYN custom. My amp and guitars are fine i just need help deciding on nice pedals that would give me a tone that rivals Downing from Judas Priest in the "Painkiller" album. I've been playing guitar for a while but for some reason I never looked into pedals before, so im completely new to this.

Im also looking into pedals that would be nice to have for all purposes. Pedals that give the 6505+ a nice sound in general. Thanks and this is my first post btw so hopefully i posted this in the right section.
Popular pedals to add to 6505s are overdrives, (Tube Screamer-type usually) EQs, and noise gates.

What do you feel your tone is lacking right now? How much do you have to spend?
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
An Xotic EP booster... One of those pedals you'll keep on all the time. From a clean boost to tube screamer territory of gain without the compression. It would really help out the clean channel on your amp.
Quote by emd9494
Okay, so what I have now is a Peavey 6505+ combo Amp with three guitars at my disposal. Gibson SG standard, Dean from Hell, and a Schecter SYN custom. My amp and guitars are fine i just need help deciding on nice pedals that would give me a tone that rivals Downing from Judas Priest in the "Painkiller" album. I've been playing guitar for a while but for some reason I never looked into pedals before, so im completely new to this.

Im also looking into pedals that would be nice to have for all purposes. Pedals that give the 6505+ a nice sound in general. Thanks and this is my first post btw so hopefully i posted this in the right section.

well an overdrive would help and priest used a flanger as well on many of their 80s albums. start with those.
Overdrive's the best way to go; they both used a distortion+ in the old days, but that was probably for a solo tone or something. A general metal pedal would be the tube screamer route (I suggest a green rhino if so). Another idea is a clean boost with a treble control (i.e. the newer mxr micro amp) since the album's overall tone is bright as hell, and you can front end the amp too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 17, 2014,
Thanks for all the responses from what I'm getting out of this post is that I should get one overdrive pedal, booster and probably a suppressor.

I'm looking to spend around 300 in total and I really want a phaser too. I think they have a pretty cool sound for solos.

These are the ones I'm looking at

Overdrive- ibanez ts9 tube screamer
Booster - xotic effects ep booster
Suppressor- boss ns-2

Phaser- van halen mxr

Let me know if you guys agree with my choices and thanks again
For overdrive, I always recommend DigiTech's Bad Monkey. It's cheap (I got mine for $20, but they go new for $50) and it gives you control over the low end unlike a TS9 or Maxon OD808.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Don't get an Ibanez, they're overpriced.

You don't need a booster.

The NS-2 is excellent.

I agree that you should get a Phaser and a Flanger.

First, overdrive: Look at these: Digitech Bad Monkey/Hardwire CM-2, Way Huge Green Rhino, MXR M77. If you've never used a TS before, it is easy to not understand how to use them with your amp. What you're going to want to do is set your amp to a distortion tone, then put the TS in front, with the gain on "0" and the level on "max" on the pedal. Set the tone controls wherever sounds good. From there you can put the gain up a little bit or the level down a little bit, whatever gets you the best sound. I own the MXR M77 and I think it's great for an SD-1 style pedal with more controls and lower noise.

Phaser: Check out the MXR Phase 100, Hardwire SP-7, CMAT Analog Phaser

Flanger: Check out the Mooer Eleclady, Boss BF-3. I own the Eleclady myself and I love the way it sounds. It's an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress clone, in a package that is not ridiculously huge.

And you're going to want to keep the gain on your amp way low for those tones, it is easy to overdo it on a 6505. Experiment with the tones on your lead and rhythm channels, see which one you like more. People use both a lot.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 17, 2014,
I disagree with a phaser, mostly because neither priest guys use them that much. Maybe on the earlier stuff, certainly not on Painkiller. So as far as mod stuff goes, just the flanger since it's much more present. I'd also suggest getting a delay.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
If you're trying to get KK's tone on that particular album, I think you might also need a compressor, I use and like Marshall Ed which can be only bought used now. It adds a certain grit to the signal so you can use less gain and get that high energy power/thrash sound with less mud.

well...looks like it can still be had new:
http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-PEDL-10023-Edward-Compressor/dp/B0000WS42E%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0000WS42E
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 17, 2014,
I just bought the bad monkey pedal since it was such a good price. I'm most likely going to buy the boss suppressor too. I'm looking into compressors, the Keeley one I heard is nice but it's expensive any recommendations there. Thanks again guys you are all really helpful!

I'll probably buy the phaser and flanger later on unless I find a good deal.
I don't think you should need a compressor, but I am by no means a JP expert. I just listened to the album after I opened the thread.

I'll also concede to what the other guy said, that you might not need a phaser. I definitely heard flanger, thought there was phaser too but idk. They're somewhat similar effects, you can dial some phasers to sound like flangers and vice versa.

Look at the MXR Custom Comp (quite good for what it is, but it's not a transparent comp like the most expensive ones are). The Pigtronix Philosopher's Rock is supposedly pretty decent at limiting, though I'm a little skeptical due to its lack of controls. CMAT makes great stuff, look at their Deluxe Compressor and Signa Compressor. I don't know much about these comps other than the fact that CMAT makes good stuff. They're probably Ross variants, but again just listen on Youtube and see if they strike you. The Mooer Yellow Compressor is a cheap Diamond Comp clone that is a really excellent value. If you want to go the transparent route on the cheap, this is the way to go for sure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 17, 2014,
Quote by emd9494
Thanks for all the responses from what I'm getting out of this post is that I should get one overdrive pedal, booster and probably a suppressor.

I'm looking to spend around 300 in total and I really want a phaser too. I think they have a pretty cool sound for solos.

These are the ones I'm looking at

Overdrive- ibanez ts9 tube screamer
Booster - xotic effects ep booster
Suppressor- boss ns-2

Phaser- van halen mxr

Let me know if you guys agree with my choices and thanks again

Those are probably the ones I'd choose... except for the NS-2...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I disagree with a phaser, mostly because neither priest guys use them that much. Maybe on the earlier stuff, certainly not on Painkiller. So as far as mod stuff goes, just the flanger since it's much more present. I'd also suggest getting a delay.

He just said he liked the sound of phasers so mxr is a good choice. I would pick a ts808 over a ts9 any day though.

Everybody should have a reverb and a delay pedal if they play lead too. T rex make nice pedals. They also make decent overdrive/boost pedals which might be an interesting alternative to a TS.
Why would you pick a TS808 over a TS9?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Why would you pick a TS808 over a TS9?

Personal preference of sound. Only tried with tube amps though. TS9 is said to sound better with solid state amps than the TS808 but I have never tried that and I don't know if it translates into better sound with processor based distortion.
Last edited by Facecut at Feb 18, 2014,
The difference between a TS9 and TS808 is the TS808 has two resistors in the output stage instead of one like the TS9, which makes ZERO difference to the sound. The main difference is the aesthetics and how the switch feels under your feet, but I don't think that warrants the TS808 being that much more expensive. Go for the Bad Monkey, you won't be disappointed.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
The difference between a TS9 and TS808 is the TS808 has two resistors in the output stage instead of one like the TS9, which makes ZERO difference to the sound. The main difference is the aesthetics and how the switch feels under your feet, but I don't think that warrants the TS808 being that much more expensive. Go for the Bad Monkey, you won't be disappointed.

They also differ in 2 diodes. The ts808 has a little bit less treble and bite. Not a huge difference but they don't differ in price either when bought used. And why would you want a new one.
A Bad Monkey will still be cheaper than both of them, sound just as good, and have more flexibility by allowing you to control bass frequencies.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
A Bad Monkey will still be cheaper than both of them, sound just as good, and have more flexibility by allowing you to control bass frequencies.

I guess if you use a processor based amp you might as well choose a digital overdrive pedal.
TS, if it makes any difference to you, I bought a used Bad Monkey for $30, and I would have trouble taking it off my board. It may be a little on the cheap side, but its a great entry into OD's.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
What? TS is using a 6505, which isn't a digital amp, and I'm pretty sure the Bad Monkey is an analog pedal. It doesn't even matter if it's digital or analog because it sounds good. Have you ever played one?
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
What? TS is using a 6505, which isn't a digital amp, and I'm pretty sure the Bad Monkey is an analog pedal. It doesn't even matter if it's digital or analog because it sounds good. Have you ever played one?

My bad, mixed up threads there about the amp.

No experience with the bad monkey, just grew cautious when reading digital overdrive because of disappointing sound experiences.
Bad Monkey gets my vote

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I own and like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/visual-sound-v2-series-v2jh-jekyll-and-hyde-overdrive-and-distortion-guitar-multi-effects-pedal

It's got some TS type tones in it and a bit more besides. Built like a tank. Can be found for as little as $70-$90 used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I can usually find Cheaply priced TS9s in my area on craigslist, and you can always haggle. But I may just have good luck on CL. A GC near me had a 6505+ (what I was running at the time) so I sat there and tried about 5 ts9s/similar pedals and went with the ts9. Still use it today with every amp I run. I just like how it sounds, and it pushes a clean channel nicely
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
So these are what I bought In the end

Bad monkey, mxr dyna comp, and boss ns-2. I looked at a lot of each type of pedal and these were the ones I found to be the best for their price. I know there are a lot of better pedals but they were all to expensive. Thanks for all the help, I'll probably post a sound clip when I get all three of the pedals in the mail.