Hey all,

Well as the title says, I'm looking to downsize my modest collection. I just don't hardly have the time or desire to play much anymore working 40 hours a week and going to school. I picked up a guitar once in the month of January and played for >20 minutes. I'm buying a $500 plane ticket here in about 5 weeks, and while I'm good for the money, would definitely prefer to offset it with something.

Anyways, anyone have any good experiences selling gear? Where? To who? Obviously looking to get the most out of them that I can.
MIJ Jackson RR3 bought used for $400
MIK Epi Dot bought used for $300
Ovation 12-string CC245 new for $600
What about should I be expecting if I sold these? I'll certainly miss them but cash is cash.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Feb 16, 2014,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Hey all,

Well as the title says, I'm looking to downsize my modest collection. I just don't hardly have the time or desire to play much anymore working 40 hours a week and going to school. I picked up a guitar once in the month of January and played for >20 minutes. I'm buying a $500 plane ticket here in about 5 weeks, and while I'm good for the money, would definitely prefer to offset it with something.

Anyways, anyone have any good experiences selling gear? Where? To who? Obviously looking to get the most out of them that I can.
MIJ Jackson RR3 bought used for $400
MIK Epi Dot bought used for $300
Ovation 12-string CC245 new for $600
What about should I be expecting if I sold these? I'll certainly miss them but cash is cash.

Ebay or Craigslist. Search Ebay for your guitars then you can gauge what they're worth depending on their condition.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Feb 16, 2014,
First thing I do is go to the local chain store and ask them how much I can get for it as a trade in, since they usually give 70%-80% of what they'll sell it for you have a somewhat good base for the price.

Second is look at Kijiji. Look at the market in your area for each of them and determine your prices with them in mind. I know here in Toronto, you can get $300 for that Epi Dot no problem.

From there, I would just stick to Kijiji/Craigslist. You can get much more then any store/ pawn shop would give you(depending on your price and the market of course). Ebay seems to be really popular as well, but most people (me included) don't like to deal with shipping and all the extra fees involved.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
there's also a place to sell on here, i believe.

I'm actually somewhat interested in your rr3 <_<
ayy lmao
Id say drop 100$ on whag u payed for them, and youd be in good shape to sell on ebay for buy it now price.
Start by bending over.

Plan to take a loss, but check the prices. Keep in mind that the listings that have been up for a while on CL are not always indicative of market value. Just because someone lists an Epi Dot for $300 doesn't necessarily mean that's what they sell for. Case in point: Fender MIMs are dirt, dirt cheap right now ($200 easy). But still, I always see some tool on CL with their MIM strat listed for $400.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by samuraigoomba
Start by bending over.

Plan to take a loss, but check the prices. Keep in mind that the listings that have been up for a while on CL are not always indicative of market value. Just because someone lists an Epi Dot for $300 doesn't necessarily mean that's what they sell for. Case in point: Fender MIMs are dirt, dirt cheap right now ($200 easy). But still, I always see some tool on CL with their MIM strat listed for $400.

Why are MIM's so cheap? I remember them being pretty decent stuff.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by utmbarto
First thing I do is go to the local chain store and ask them how much I can get for it as a trade in, since they usually give 70%-80% of what they'll sell it for you have a somewhat good base for the price.

I want to know what chain stores you go to. All the ones I tried would only offer 50% of the lowest Ebay sold price. Maybe I could have haggled them up to 60% or 70%, but I wasn't willing to try.
Quote by Preacher403
I want to know what chain stores you go to. All the ones I tried would only offer 50% of the lowest Ebay sold price. Maybe I could have haggled them up to 60% or 70%, but I wasn't willing to try.

In Canada we have Long and Mcquade. They don't haggle or anything but they give you fair trade in values. I've heard guitar centre can be a huge pain to trade in to.
Quote by JAustinMunn

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Why are MIM's so cheap? I remember them being pretty decent stuff.

Well, I dunno about you, but most of the people I know are just trying to scrape by. They make tons of those MIMs, decent as they are, and your average musician on hard times probably won't keep more guitars than he or she absolutely needs. So most people will sell theirs. There are tons of the flooding the market, so prices are driven down that way. The teles get slightly better prices than the strats, but my buddy scooped up a heavily-modded strat (SD pickups, locking tuners, etc) for $200.

Sad to say, but I seriously doubt any shop will give you more than that, either.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Well, I dunno about you, but most of the people I know are just trying to scrape by. They make tons of those MIMs, decent as they are, and your average musician on hard times probably won't keep more guitars than he or she absolutely needs. So most people will sell theirs. There are tons of the flooding the market, so prices are driven down that way. The teles get slightly better prices than the strats, but my buddy scooped up a heavily-modded strat (SD pickups, locking tuners, etc) for $200.

Sad to say, but I seriously doubt any shop will give you more than that, either.

This. It's the same reason I just picked up a highway one strat with John Mayer clone pickups for $400 bucks.
Quote by JAustinMunn

Quote by jpnyc