I've been messing around with guitars for many years. I've played many different rock sub-genres but I've spent the most time trying to emulate Hendrix. Just recently (about 6 months ago) I became frustrated with the fact that my playing/knowledge had plateaued, so I began spending a lot of time learning theory.

The theory is coming to me fine, but there's one thing that still bothers me: it seems that when I "jam"--that is, when I totally surrender to the music and play from the heart as best I can--I always produce a definitively bluesy sound. I suppose this is due to several years of playing pentatonic and blues scales.

I would like to have different sounds that come second-nature to me; I love blues and blues-rock (such as JH, Allman Brothers, The White Stripes, etc.) but I also love grunge, psychedelia, indie, punk, and so on. I cannot pin down the musical themes in the songs of these genres and so I feel like I am unable to "learn" these genres.

Has anyone experienced a similar phenomenon? Has anyone found exercises that helped?

Thanks.
start playing jazz, but start from the beginning, louis armostrong, charlie christian, Django and all of that. It really incorporates A LOT of other sounds. And if you actually play it, that means, learn the standards, play along with recordings, learn solos, It will automatically come to you just like the minor pent did.
Quote by telescoper
II also love grunge, psychedelia, indie, punk, and so on. I cannot pin down the musical themes in the songs of these genres and so I feel like I am unable to "learn" these genres.

Has anyone experienced a similar phenomenon? Has anyone found exercises that helped?

Take song you like of those genres, and figure out how they are played. Transcribe them.
Quote by macashmack
Take song you like of those genres, and figure out how they are played. Transcribe them.

Yeah, just learn them, figure out how they work.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Could it be muscle memory bringing your fingers back to the same blues licks? Have you tried composing with guitar pro, on paper, or in alternative tunings or unusual keys, just to shake it up a bit?
Quote by innovine
Could it be muscle memory bringing your fingers back to the same blues licks? Have you tried composing with guitar pro, on paper, or in alternative tunings or unusual keys, just to shake it up a bit?

More or less. It's more that you've taught yourself to play mostly bluesy stuff. How are you going to do something you've never learned? In most cases you can't.

Learn the songs to start incorporating some othrr styles.

I couldn't do any metal but then I started playing some megadeth songs and before I knew it I could write them.

Also not just learning to play songs but also listening to music makes you think more like it.
Thanks, all, for these replies. I suspected that jazz would have been brought up by someone, since it seems to use themes that are very distinct from the music I've been playing.
^^^ But you do not want to learn jazz, you want to learn how to play the other genres.
Soundcloud
look at youtube interviews by the bands or artists you want to play like

I am obessed with Opeth again at the moment, and listening to Fred and Mike talk about scales and progressions and how they create the songs and solos might give you some insight
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ But you do not want to learn jazz, you want to learn how to play the other genres.

True. My original post was not totally clear, but my primary goal is to break out of the rut I'm currently in with blues. I've tried playing the other rock genres and like I said, I don't really see what makes them tick, i.e., I don't see or understand any of their patterns. So, at least for me, playing songs from those genres isn't really helping. Maybe I also need to pick one or two artists from those genres and focus on their body of work?
That's the thing, and this may seem like semantics but it's vitally important...it's not about seeing, it's about hearing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by telescoper
. I've tried playing the other rock genres and like I said, I don't really see what makes them tick, i.e., I don't see or understand any of their patterns. So, at least for me, playing songs from those genres isn't really helping.

I think you may be going about this the wrong way. What do you mean by not understanding "the patterns"?
Soundcloud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRNrjLB9NC4

I think you should get more involved with the blues. When it comes down to it, completely understanding the blues is so very important in modern music; the past 6 months I have really been almost only practicing arpeggiating 12 bar blues in different forms: major, minor, & 7ths. I have improved so much compared to when I was learning stupid little licks and trying to put them all together.

This book really opened my eyes & changed my life.Some of the material is really advanced & it took me a while to understand this book; once it clicked it was 10X worth the money I spent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360837421957?lpid=82