Hi All,

Just was checking if anyone is using Irongear pickups around here. I'm looking at dropping a set into my Pacifica to upgrade my starter, and what I've seen from this company has been impressive and screams bang for buck.

However, it's not as well known so it has been quite hard getting some good sound clips and demos of what the pickups can do.

I'm thinking of getting a steam hammer for the bridge, and a couple of smoke stack IIs for the middle and neck positions to keep it as a Super Strat. Most likely will be a single tone, and dual volume (separate single coils and humbuckers separate) with coil split kind of set-up.

Has anyone got any recordings with either of these pickups that they're able to share?

I tend to like a very crunchy, forward rhythm sound, and sweet upper mids and smooth highs for the leads/bridge, so went with the middier pickups over say the hammer head. I tend to play Dillinger Escape Plan, Sound garden, Tool, Faith No More type stuff, so it's high gain, but not a dark sound like Metallica for example.

Feel free to chuck in other pick-up suggestions as well. Would like to stick to the budget/value brands more since Bareknuckles, SDs or Dimarzios would cost more than the guitar, lol.

Cheers.
They have demo's on their website but they're played through a crappy amp and dreadful recording interface so I can't judge them properly, its always put me off of buying them myself, would be interested if anyone actually has any experience with them.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I have a steam hammer in the neck of my Rg570 can't complain it's nice and warm and yes plenty bang for the buck!! I also dropped a set of hot slags in my back up Rg too I'm very happy with them.
If he's looking at Iron Gear I will assume he's based in the UK, so GFS being in the US probably won't help all that much after shipping/customs.

I've dealt with Keith at AxeTec/Iron Gear a few times and he's a really nice guy to work with so if you even send him a few emails he may be able to help you more. If you're experienced at fitting pups and can install/uninstall without too much damage he may even be able to take a refund on them.

Also, check out Entswhistle: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby

Also, check out Entswhistle: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/

Man, those things are cheap in the UK Ebay store! I might order one Darkstar 7 for experimentation, just to see if I can fit it into my Cort 7 strings EMG routing without butchering an expensive Dimarzio or such.

All the better if they are good. Are they?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
i have an iron gear hot slag in one of my super strat builds. i must say it does a great job. i use the guitar for mainly 80's metal. it helps do a really nice ratt tone. iron gear makes some decent stuffs.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I use a Hot Slag/Rplling Mill set in my LP. and all I can say is, they are great. They really are.

ESPECIALLY for the price.

Don't really know what else to say; they aren't muddy and dull like most cheap pickups. They really do scream in a world of their own. Don't get me wrong, they are no BKPs, but at the same time, you can get like 2 sets of IGs for the price of a single BKP haha
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I have a Hot Slag in the bridge of my SG. Really nice pickup, preferred it over the Duncan JB I had in another guitar. Has much more clarity and personality than the stock 498T. Has some bite to it, but can mellow out a bit for more vintagy stuff. Won't keep up with really nice pups like BKP and Motor city, but definitely a good pickup, especially for the price. Better than most offerings from the big brands like Duncan and Dimarzio.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by MaaZeus
Man, those things are cheap in the UK Ebay store! I might order one Darkstar 7 for experimentation, just to see if I can fit it into my Cort 7 strings EMG routing without butchering an expensive Dimarzio or such.

All the better if they are good. Are they?

I've heard they're meant to be good for the money, but I haven't tried them.

Some cheaper guitars have them stock so maybe you could find some to try if you're lucky? Tanglewoods, maybe (don't quote me on that).

And yeah I agree with the people saying that the stock soundclips for the irongears are awful. They put me off, too (and I realise that's silly, because I know the reason they sound bad isn't necessarily down the pickups). I can't believe they didn't record better clips, that's bound to be doing them out of sales.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've heard they're meant to be good for the money, but I haven't tried them.

Some cheaper guitars have them stock so maybe you could find some to try if you're lucky? Tanglewoods, maybe (don't quote me on that).

And yeah I agree with the people saying that the stock soundclips for the irongears are awful. They put me off, too (and I realise that's silly, because I know the reason they sound bad isn't necessarily down the pickups). I can't believe they didn't record better clips, that's bound to be doing them out of sales.

Well I just ordered the Dart Star 7. We'll see how it goes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Sorry I should add that I haven't personally tried Entswistle although I too have seen it come stock in a few guitars at MusicRoom. I have just heard from a few people that they are good for the money and make for a definite upgrade to most stock pickups while not costing the rrp of SDs or Dimarzios. I'd use them or Iron Gear if I was building something or trying to inject a bit of new life into a cheap/frankenstein guitar
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
Sorry I should add that I haven't personally tried Entswistle although I too have seen it come stock in a few guitars at MusicRoom. I have just heard from a few people that they are good for the money and make for a definite upgrade to most stock pickups while not costing the rrp of SDs or Dimarzios. I'd use them or Iron Gear if I was building something or trying to inject a bit of new life into a cheap/frankenstein guitar

Well it matters not. I have been waiting for IronGear to get their act together and release 7 string pickups because my Cort K47 desperately needs new ones but I dont wish to spend bigger € on big brand ones just yet, especially since only direct fit would be either EMG actives (which means I'd have to change both pickups) or pay stupid money from SD's soap bar pickups. And Dimarzio does not have soapbar 7's.

These Entwistles are perfect for experimentation if I can fit normal sized ones in somehow.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Got the Steamhammer in my SG's bridge and it's nice and meaty. Another vouch for Iron Gear
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by MaaZeus
Well I just ordered the Dart Star 7. We'll see how it goes.

nice, let us know what you think
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Awesome. Glad I was able to help people Best of luck guys, don't forget to post reviews
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Hey, managed to find this for a demo of the steam hammer in the bridge position. Really impressed with the clarity and bite they have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEw6YwSO_nE

Now to try and decide on a neck pickup. Heard good things about GFS. Entwistle look interesting too, had a peek at the Nemesis, Darkstar and X3, but the Darkstar was a bit dark and didn't sound as tight as I've heard the steam hammer. Would be more suited to a bassier/sludgier stoner or doom sound perhaps. I guess the stock pickups are lacking a bit of the upper midrange for me so I'll go with something that boosts that area to give the guitar more presence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvoUKWHf0fM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYc-F-gciA

I need to still check out what GFS have on offer though, and then decide on neck/middle pickups. I've just been interested in the Smoke Stack 2 because it's got a bit of extra midrange and the split coils look like they would produce a wide variety of tones. Can have it nice and hot for teh metalz, and tone it down for some cleaner jazzy passages (In single coil mode it's less hot than the overwound pig irons).

Could always go for a lower impedance pickup in the neck and bridge and just turn down the bridge volume to match it so volume's even when switching pickups - or just use a different channel on the eleven rack and adjust the volume between them.
I have several GFS pickups and I'm completely happy with them. I have a Fat Pat that replaced a Dimarzio super distortion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice, let us know what you think

Allright, I got the pickup and tried to install it. Keyword, TRIED.

Even though the EMG pickups are bigger the flaps where you attach the screws on normal pickups are makes them wider. So off I went to my sisters place where there is a grinder. I had to grind quite a bit, only a hairthin piece of metal was left at the screw hole. It still wasnt enough so I had to bend the flaps eenyweeny bit inside. Perfect, now it fitted in the routing.

So I proceeded removing the bridge EMG HZ7, and tried install the Darkstar and ****ing hell... The EMG pickup is THINNER! Meaning when the Darkstar reached the bottom the pickup was so high that it lifts the strings up! I would have to route the pickup slot deeper! Or atleast make room for the screw flaps. My sisters husband would propably have the tools needed for the job but I do not have the skills and guts (and at this moment no interest) to do it.

I am genuinely pissed at the moment. **** EMG, in my eyes this proved that their soapbar 7 string pickups are a fricking scam.

Sorry guys but at this moment I cant give any impressions about the quality of Entwistle Darkstars.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
No worries, thanks for letting us know. That sucks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?