is this Guitar Pro 6 software worth it? heard it really help... i can slow songs down to learn certain parts...

and anyone know if they have a sale, coupon code or discount?

and what type of file am i looking for to import? someone said search online for the songs i like in a file format i can import into guitar pro... i think its gpx?

and would this software act like a drum machine/metronome?

what exactly are the sound banks? do i need them? not sure what they do...

no experience with music software, is there anything better than guitar pro?

so any suggestions appreciated....

thanks, any help appreciated
Last edited by fastforded at Feb 17, 2014,
I've used GP for a few years now. It has helped me learned guitar bu my self alot faster I think. I really like the tools it provides.

'and what type of file am i looking for to import? someone said search onlione for the songs i like in a file format i can import into guitar pro...': You can search for songs here on UltimateGuitar. The files that Gp6 create I believe is .gpx. But you can import files from older Gp versions.

'and would this software act like a drum machine/metronome?': Yes. It'll also play notes from several different instruments. So you can mute/solo tracks you want to focus on.
I find Gp great for slowing songs down and learn induvidial parts with the repeat button.

'no experience with music software so any suggestions appreciated': I think there's a trial version. I'd suggest to try that first. But I really do think that Gp is a great tool for any musician.
Download the trial version first. Not sure whether the discount is still active, but I got it half price, just by downloading the trial first. And even if you don't get the discount, you got to try the program first. IMO, the only drawback is the bad sound, but that doesn't affect the usefulness of the program.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell
Download the trial version first. Not sure whether the discount is still active, but I got it half price, just by downloading the trial first. And even if you don't get the discount, you got to try the program first. IMO, the only drawback is the bad sound, but that doesn't affect the usefulness of the program.

thanks... bad sound? please explain...
Last edited by fastforded at Feb 17, 2014,
Quote by fastforded
thanks... bad sound? please explain...

The instruments are not real live instruments, and sound as such. You can make them sound alright, but they will never sound close to real instruments
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by JD Close
The instruments are not real live instruments, and sound as such. You can make them sound alright, but they will never sound close to real instruments

thanks, any other guitar software out there? and how does this compare to the others (if any?) wanted to try and get just one program... been playing with the demo but its VERY limited...
GP6 is indispensable for me. I use it to document the songs I write (and to play parts of them).

The program can import files of earlier .gp types as well as its own .gpx files. I don't know about MIDI and stuff as I never use it.

Yes, it can act as a metronome and drum machine. People say the drums sound bad but I don't mind them - I use it for all my own recordings because it's so easy to program drum tracks directly onto the stave, like all the other instruments.

The instruments are mainly bad-sounding, but a few sound OK (flute, sax, piano) with a bit of reverb.

Here's a track I made with only GP6 a few years ago. I've since gotten the drum sound better:
The Smooth Resumes
Last edited by Jehannum at Feb 17, 2014,
As a self-teaching, tabbing and timing tool it's excellent.

Whether or not it sounds 'perfect' is immaterial, it's $60 and it's the de facto standard.

If you really need it to sound better, export midi tracks to a competent DAW, but for it's intended purpose that's a great mucking waste of time.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by fastforded
thanks, any other guitar software out there? and how does this compare to the others (if any?) wanted to try and get just one program... been playing with the demo but its VERY limited...

Are you looking for tab software/editors in particular?
Of course there is a ton of guitar software for use in music production, guitar pro is for tabs/learning songs and composing your own.

The other similar software is:
TuxGuitar (best free tab player/editor out there)
PowerTab (uses .ptb only)
Go Playalong (hook up tabs with mp3s/etc to play with the real song as backing track, no editing function last time I checked though)
Guitar Pro 5 (older, discontinued version of Guitar Pro that many UGers still swear by)

GP6 is the most current and best tab software, the others are surely comparable and nearly the same thing but mostly use MIDI sounds and lack some minor features.
Quote by fanapathy
Are you looking for tab software/editors in particular?
Of course there is a ton of guitar software for use in music production, guitar pro is for tabs/learning songs and composing your own.

The other similar software is:
TuxGuitar (best free tab player/editor out there)
PowerTab (uses .ptb only)
Go Playalong (hook up tabs with mp3s/etc to play with the real song as backing track, no editing function last time I checked though)
Guitar Pro 5 (older, discontinued version of Guitar Pro that many UGers still swear by)

GP6 is the most current and best tab software, the others are surely comparable and nearly the same thing but mostly use MIDI sounds and lack some minor features.

thanks, appreciate the info!!!

Quote by fastforded
thanks, appreciate the info!!!

They give you a broader range of playback sounds. Again, not perfect, but generally more listenable than the click-pop-beep of midi...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
They give you a broader range of playback sounds. Again, not perfect, but generally more listenable than the click-pop-beep of midi...

thanks, appreciate it