how often should i change my strings?

and why is changing strings important?

thanks for any information...

went to guitar center and talked to tech about strings for my ibanez electric with tremolo..

he suggested i try Dean Markley Helix and ernie ball slinky cobalt.

the cobalts were twice the price but he said the helix were better in his opinion...
Last edited by fastforded at Feb 17, 2014,
I usually change them around once a month, the schedule of you changing them is dependent on how often you play. The longer you use a string, the more dead sounding it will become, also new strings can be much easier to play on as far as sliding your hand, etc.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
+1 on once a month, old strings sound dead, lose intonation (fretted notes can go flat/sharp) and feel horrible when doing slides etc. New strings also make you want to play your guitar more which can only be a good thing.
I used to change strings every couple of months until i tried D'Addario strings.

Those usually last me around 6 months to 1 year, but i keep going back and forth between my two guitars, and unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow me to play them much more than 10 hours per week (that's about 5 hours per guitar, per week).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I started with slinkys, broke them waaaaay too often, was buried in broken slinkys. Then bought a case of carvin strings. Them were good. But tarnished kinda quickly. Then went to d'adarios, they were good, then tried the stainless d'adarios, wore the crap out of my frets. Them ghs boomers. Great cheap strings. Last along time but lose tone quickly. I only change them when i break one. Then i finally got tired of always breaking my a string on every guitar when gigging... So... DUNLOP HEAVY CORE strings have surpassed everything else i have tried in durability, tone, feel, and just overall badassness. I put a set on 10 guitars over a year ago. Have not broken one, had them tarnish, or lose tone. I use 10-48. Man o man try them out and you will say screw u to everything else. I bet u.
Quote by coldandhomeless
I started with slinkys, broke them waaaaay too often, was buried in broken slinkys. Then bought a case of carvin strings. Them were good. But tarnished kinda quickly. Then went to d'adarios, they were good, then tried the stainless d'adarios, wore the crap out of my frets. Them ghs boomers. Great cheap strings. Last along time but lose tone quickly. I only change them when i break one. Then i finally got tired of always breaking my a string on every guitar when gigging... So... DUNLOP HEAVY CORE strings have surpassed everything else i have tried in durability, tone, feel, and just overall badassness. I put a set on 10 guitars over a year ago. Have not broken one, had them tarnish, or lose tone. I use 10-48. Man o man try them out and you will say screw u to everything else. I bet u.

nice, didnt know you would wear out a fret that fast with strings, but SS is a hard metal and not sure what frets are made of but probably softer... requires further investigation...

I'm gonna grab a pack of them next visit to the shop, thanks
Change them every month unless you play heavily ot hard then a little sooner, also remmeber wash your hands before you play to prolong the life of your strings and guitar and buy a string cleaner and clean them after you play every time or once a night.
Quote by Mr.Sauceda
Change them every month unless you play heavily or hard then a little sooner, also remeber wash your hands before you play to prolong the life of your strings and guitar and buy a string cleaner and clean them after you play every time or once a night.

yes, absolutely right! thanks for reminding me, i try and get in that habit and manage most of the time. I have been using fast fret for years

i got some Dunlop System 65.. still sitting in the box. I wanted to look at some reviews on that product and give the guitar a good cleaning and some TLC... sadly haven't gotten around to spending the time...
i took my old strings off and started cleaning.. wow my fret have some wear in them and im missing a small piece of the finish that rubbed off under the 3rd fret (high e string)
Quote by JackovSlayer
^ It's a normal thing to have a little fretwear.

They look kinda deep? Not sure how much it matters. It's the practice strat...

worried about the finish that rubbed off, cant see it, about the size of a nickel...
Attachments:
photo(21).JPG
Last edited by fastforded at Feb 19, 2014,
Just started learning about the set up of guitars and the associated problems (like fret buzz) or improperly adjusted saddles...

So I should probably check every note on the feet board especially by the problem looking frets?

And instead of getting a clear bell sound of the note I
Will hear some buzzing if the frets messed up?

Thanks
Yes, worn out frets can lead to fretbuzz, but buzzing can also happen if your action (string height) is too low, if you don't know a lot about setting up a guitar you could take it to a tech so he can take a look at it. Don't worry, you will learn it someday.

I personally think that a little fretbuzz doesn't matter because in most cases you can't hear it through the amp. But, of course, everyone can have different opinion.
Quote by JackovSlayer
Yes, worn out frets can lead to fretbuzz, but buzzing can also happen if your action (string height) is too low, if you don't know a lot about setting up a guitar you could take it to a tech so he can take a look at it. Don't worry, you will learn it someday.

I personally think that a little fretbuzz doesn't matter because in most cases you can't hear it through the amp. But, of course, everyone can have different opinion.

Rather try and learn all this myself... I modded stuff my whole life and I like to hot rod stuff...probably good idea to have one checked out and set up and maybe get a lesson on how it's really done.. If the techs cool...