I started just half a year ago yet I can really see how my music taste changed. I didnt know much about how guitar sounds from songs i liked was produced.

A simple example is that I remember watching my friend playing and back then I didnt enjoy overdrive. Now while playing I LOVE overdrive and I get the feeling to put a little drive no matter what I'm playing. Even when I do finger exercises I love the sound of overdrive .

I had no certain idea about blues. I started listening to it around the same time I started playing. Now I can appreciate the tone & flow of blues way better. Ofcourse I do not understand every note one by one but I get the feeling of it way better.

Ofcourse then there is metal. I do not like it still. Yet now I can understand why some people do. I did learn some riffs from metal songs and I can say that it is fun to play them.
well after a while you will most likely change things as you understand more on the guitar. for me the biggest lesson learned was to go with my strengths and really learn what they are. sure I wanted to be a shredder back in the day and put a lot of energy into that. pretty much found that that wasn't my strong suit regardless of how much practice. i'll never be vai or yngwie. once I started to work with what I could play well (never stop practicing what you aren't good at though) I found myself much happier. I still ad bits of styles to my own and will try pretty much anything cuz you never know.

over 30 years of playing and still have a long way to go. (some of my originals in profile)
I learned to appreciate music for being music and I started to listen to a wider range of music. I have always enjoyed music since I can remember, but when I started to learn music I could appreciate different styles and approaches that I could not before.

I like Neil Diamond and Yanni as well as KSE, Strung Out, Tony Orlando, The Beach Boys and some other bands most people I know would never listen to. My taste is very eclectic to say the least.

And I use different styles in my playing because of that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 17, 2014,
I learned to just have fun and not really try and write for other people.
I used to be really into being the most precise guitar player possible but I've since said **** it and just play for fun. Of course I can play things with a decent amount of precision but I've learned that just having fun is more important than how well you play.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by arcanom
I started just half a year ago yet I can really see how my music taste changed. I didnt know much about how guitar sounds from songs i liked was produced.

A simple example is that I remember watching my friend playing and back then I didnt enjoy overdrive. Now while playing I LOVE overdrive and I get the feeling to put a little drive no matter what I'm playing. Even when I do finger exercises I love the sound of overdrive .

I had the same experience starting, I hated distortion, even though I was playing stuff like Metallica and Rush, but that was probably because I owned this Japanese hollowbody that would feed back if you so much as looked at a distortion pedal.

I had no certain idea about blues. I started listening to it around the same time I started playing. Now I can appreciate the tone & flow of blues way better. Ofcourse I do not understand every note one by one but I get the feeling of it way better.

Ofcourse then there is metal. I do not like it still. Yet now I can understand why some people do. I did learn some riffs from metal songs and I can say that it is fun to play them.

I couldn't understand what people thought was so great about a lot of stuff I love nowadays, like folk-rock and psychedelic rock. I loved prog and metal too much. Nowadays, I can't live without them!

I find in the years since I first picked up a guitar, I've begun relying less and less on standard diatonic convention and started exploring chromaticism and modes.

One thing I also find is that this not only extends to guitar, but other instruments as well. I've never felt more of an urge to learn as many different instruments as I have lately, and I've been picking keys back up for the first time in years. Also learning drums again. And listening to a lot more music with good keyboard work and vocal work, to work on my singing as well.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
i "hear" more. I can hear what makes certain songs great, production wise, or the musical choice the writer took, or I hear the little riffs and such that most people can't hear. I'll be in the car with my girlfriend and be like "did you hear that?! He hit a different symbol that time and it was perfect!" and she will look at me like I'm crazy because she just doesn't hear that.

I am able to learn from that too. For example, sometimes when i'm playing out in a chorus or something I will stop playing whats written and play a different chord the entire time that sits on top of the chorus, even though a week before I never did that. It's like it's one big equation, and I am always trying to add to it or fine tune in until it's perfect, then a week later I fine tune it again.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Listen to music in a totally different way. Before, I'd just listen to music and just enjoy the feel of it, not thinking about what's going on. Now I listen for things like the exact drum pattern, which guitar techniques are used and when, how a riff actually goes and its rhythm, if there's something interesting going on like unconventional chords, dissonance or time signature changes, does the bass follow the guitar line and what does it play - what the time signature is if not 4/4, what other instruments there are in the background - whether the orchestra or choir is real, how are the backing vocals, how is the mix, what is panned to where, and so on

Because of this I really appreciate more musical styles and genres because there's usually always something interesting to listen to within it.
My approach to music is constantly changing, but the past 2 years i think i have got hold of the best mindset for it. When i started playing many years ago it was basically Metal > everything else. Nowadays i am mainly focused on styles such as Jazz, Fusion, Blues and Funk. But i do listen to everything like country, opera, pop, electronic dance music, metal etc.

That is one of the things that have changed that has benefited me the most i believe, cause i am not stuck in the mentality of one genre, nor am i thinking "metal is better than pop" or "pop is better than jazz". It's all just different kinds of music, you can enjoy it all. And you can certainly learn from it all.

I have for the past years learned exclusively by ear aswell, something i wish i did earlier on. Nothing beats the joy of being to learn ANYTHING, and not be restricted to sheet music/tab for learning.

Also, the change of attitude regarding other peoples opinions. In music, and in the guitar community especially, there are a lot of douche-y people that think that speed is everything and that certain styles of music is the only types of music. Changing my mind from being affected by their opinions to not giving 2 cents what they thought about me was really good for me, and it helped me develop more as an individual and musician.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
My taste in music has broadened a lot. When I started playing I liked pretty much metal and that was it (and a few old classics - Pink Floyd's The Wall was my first album - my Mom got it for me when I was nine, I played it over and over and I will always love that album). These days I hear all kinds of stuff and appreciate it. Blues, jazzy stuff, classical. I'll even be at a restaurant and there will be some country on and I'll be listening to the guitar going "that's kind of cool".
You learn to hear a lot more when you listen to music. To me that is one of the biggest payoffs of learning to play an instrument. No matter how good or not good you eventually get, you will always have that deeper awareness and enjoyment of music, just because you're hearing more.
Exploring different paths; continuing down some, backing out of others maybe to revisit them in the future.
I played for about a year, quit for about a year, and now just picking it back up again. When I started I was into Weezer and always thought their songs sounded cool and I still do enjoy them, but without a band (or at least a drumming partner) I find playing Weezer is incredibly boring.

But at the same time I was a fan of The White Stripes and The Black Keys, probably the closest thing to blues that I liked. But in trying to learn a few of their songs (much more fun trying to learn and due to their minimalistic use of instruments) I found that I really starting liking this stuff and started to appreciate all over again the likes of Jimi Hendrix and what Blues actually means to Rock music.

Now I am still into The Black Keys but into other bands like Vintage Trouble, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Gary Clark Jr as well as rediscovering older acts like The Rolling Stones and The Animals with much more appreciation.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
I listen to music in a completely different way now, I notice patterns, recognise scales, time signatures etc...

My musical taste has changed, I've been introduced to many different artists that I wouldn't have known if I didn't play the guitar. I would have never known of players like George Lynch (and then bands ike Dokken or Lynch Mob) or Guthrie Govan if I didn't play the guitar.

I've learnt that some genres are more fun to listen to than play, I enjoy thrash metal but it isn't exactly my favourite genre to play myself. I'm like exactly a huge fan of ska and ska punk/rock/pop but it's so fun to play!

When I first started playing I only liked the high gain humbucker tone, but now I absolutely love an overdriven single coil neck tone!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by fanapathy
Listen to music in a totally different way. Before, I'd just listen to music and just enjoy the feel of it, not thinking about what's going on. Now I listen for things like the exact drum pattern, which guitar techniques are used and when, how a riff actually goes and its rhythm, if there's something interesting going on like unconventional chords, dissonance or time signature changes, does the bass follow the guitar line and what does it play - what the time signature is if not 4/4, what other instruments there are in the background - whether the orchestra or choir is real, how are the backing vocals, how is the mix, what is panned to where, and so on

Because of this I really appreciate more musical styles and genres because there's usually always something interesting to listen to within it.

This.

I am the exact same way. I tend to dissect the music now, even if I don't like it. I don't look at music I'm not a fan of as sound anymore, I pick it apart and can get into it by the parts that interest me.

Guitar changed my vision of music, and it is now so much better.
Since I begun playing, I am able to appreciate what musicians do much more when it is really technical. Sometimes I won't particularly enjoy a passage but I still feel compelled to listen to it simply because I can appreciate how insanely difficult it is to play.
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
Man, it's fun. In the beginning, before I bought my first acouctic, I only wanted to play stairway to heaven solo and metallica songs. Since I got acoustic firstly, I liked Oasis stuff, Beatles etc. When I bought electric, I played metallica only (the easiest songs), and then, a couple years after, I ended up listening and trying tom play neoclassical and death metal. Now I'm getting more into metalcore and djent, and a two years ago I thought this genres sucks
I have left songs that are mostly chords in favor of songs that place together individual notes in a way that makes my mind soar, chords don't capture me in the same way they used to.

Don't get me wrong chords are great and all but I feel they are better in the back seat of a composition.
I realized the best players that I've come to respect over the years played for the song, and held back, even though it was clear they could burn.

Now when I play, I don't lay it all out there. I have nothing that I feel I need to prove.

That frees me to do what I like and listen and contribute for the song.

Best,

Sean