So im looking into starting up a blues rig. I love the sound of a good fender but im conflicted as to which amp i should go with. Any recomendations? My budget is about $1000
You really have 2 good options.

1: Some version of the 5E3 Tweed Deluxe.

2. Something Else.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
used Mesa Mark I/II combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
used Mesa Mark I/II combo

I didn't know Mesa's were Fender amps?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I didn't know Mesa's were Fender amps?

There not, but they especially the Mark I was based on the Fender Princeton. it will do the fender thing and then some
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Go on ebay/craigslist and find yourself an AB864 blackface bassman, that's THE shit.
A brownface bassman would do too if you particularly like power amp distortion.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Based on the Fender Princeton you say? That's a bit like saying a funny car is based on whatever body they bolted on top of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd honestly shoot for the Supersonic 22 before the 60. It has a more lively sound about it, but that's just my opinion. What kind of blues? A Deluxe Reverb or the aforementioned small Fenders would do good blues, but it depends too.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I want something for almost like a Joe Bonamassa blues style. But i need something with some power and bite behind it
Based on what I've seen of Bonamassa's setup, it seems like a Fender based on the old blackface circuit would work, or a Marshall (or clone of either). This site has some good recommendations.

http://www.joebonamassagear.com/amps/
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by DefineAlive94
I want something for almost like a Joe Bonamassa blues style. But i need something with some power and bite behind it
He uses the older Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 most of the time. So I'd look for a used JCM2000 401/201 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bonamassas really not a Fender amp guy (live at least). Try and find a JCM 2000 DSL
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Get real for a moment. Where do you actually gig? How big a room/how many people in it? Do you play with a loud drummer? Do you mic the amp when the drums are mic'ed?

Almost any good tube amp can do justice to the blues if you've got the juice. Fender Champ, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, Blues Jr., Super Champ XD, Marshall Class 5, Supro 12w, Hot Rod Deluxe. No need to drop a grand on the blues when $300 will get it done. I play a lotta blues and have gigged with all of these amps effectively. The little ones require a $60 mic to the PA. The rest is all image.

Here is Johnny Lang's live rig sporting 20 watts:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20415-rig-rundown-jonny-lang
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 28, 2014,
Stay away from the Fender Hot Rod or Deville amps. They have terrible reverb ( it's not the tube reverb that fender is known for) and the volume knobs are poorly designed.

If you're thinking newer Fenders, the Supersonic or 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue would be my main recommendations for that price range.

Joe Bonamassa plays mainly vintage Marshalls and boutique clones, not DSL's or any of the newer models etc. If you really want the tone he is known for, you aren't going to get it with a newer Marshall. See article: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Rig_Rundown_Joe_Bonamassa_2013_
Quote by reverb66
Joe Bonamassa plays mainly vintage Marshalls and boutique clones, not DSL's or any of the newer models etc. If you really want the tone he is known for, you aren't going to get it with a newer Marshall. See article: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Rig_Rundown_Joe_Bonamassa_2013_

He does what now? The stuff said on this board as "truth" is absolutely frightening.

Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 6, 2014,
Clue: Joe (and most major touring acts) gets paid very well to play through those amps and promote them with on-stage product placement. Endorsements are where the money is right now folks. Marshall is betting you will want one just like Joe. Those are nice amps alright but there are a lot of nice amps out there.

Great gigging blues amps can be found with a dozen modern fenders, a dozen modern Mesas, a dozen modern Marshalls under $1k, and a whole slew of specialty boutique amps for well over $1k. Pick your poison.

For my money, Mesa F series or other 20-30w amps offer killer blues tone and will take you from BB King to Jimi to Bonamassa territory.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 6, 2014,
LOL. I've got the clue.

So Joe never uses those amp.

To Joe does use the amps but gets paid.

Joe Still Sounds like Joe.

/facepalm. I seriously am starting to hate this forum. Too many morons with excuses and stating things that are not true.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
He does what now? The stuff said on this board as "truth" is absolutely frightening.

Which part of the statement isn't true???

Joe Bonamassa plays mainly vintage Marshalls and boutique clones, not DSL's or any of the newer models etc. If you really want the tone he is known for, you aren't going to get it with a newer Marshall. See article: http://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Bonamassa_2013_

Bonamassa is a vintage Marshall junkie - read any interview or check out his collection. He clearly prefers them and uses them for recording etc. If he used some DSl's while touring for a while( which was probably simply for endorsement purposes) it doesn't negate the fact that he prefers vintage and boutique Marshall clones and is using them most of the time.

Why would he currently bother lugging around a bunch of vintage and boutique amps on tour if he had everything he needed with the DSLs....

I'm not saying the DSLs are bad amps, it's just not what I'd associate him with.
Quote by cheesefries

/facepalm. I seriously am starting to hate this forum. Too many morons with excuses and stating things that are not true.

Nobody's forcing you to stay...

If you can't deal with disagreement, argument and sometimes outright rudeness, you're on the wrong internet...

OTOH, there are a number of good folks here as well, most of us simply pick and choose who to engage with.

And the 'truth' here is that JB does use a lot of vintage/boutique gear but that he also uses the gear he's endorsed to use. That seems a pretty simple point that both parties appear to be missing?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 6, 2014,
I'd look around for an old used DSL. Or, if you're still geared on to get the Fender, they came out with a Fender Deluxe reverb head recently. I'd get that because after a few years of lugging around combo amps, my back can't take it anymore, and I'm extremely young.

From most of what I've seen, Joe seems to favor the tone of his Silver Jubilees. I'm not quite sure what the tone is as I've never heard a SJ but I imagine its a brit flavor with more pronounced lower mids?

As has been said, just stay away from the HR Deluxe and Deville, horrible amps with a shitty and flubby low end paired with a cheap ass spring reverb. The Blues Jr is the only Hotrod series amp worth getting methinks. Cool little amp.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Last edited by Guy_Mitchell at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries

I'm sure Joe uses those amps.

But those of us who've been backstage a lot have seen Mike Campbell hiding a tiny amp behind a wall of Vox Superbeatles, Eric Clapton with a circle of five different small amps miked up UNDER the stage and much more:

(Invalid img)

Neal Schon of Journey still travels with five 4x12s strung out across the stage, but the sound going through the PA system is coming largely from axe-fx back in his racks.
Damn. I've gotta find me some full stack stage props.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by DefineAlive94
So im looking into starting up a blues rig. I love the sound of a good fender but im conflicted as to which amp i should go with. Any recomendations? My budget is about $1000

Get a flippin' Fender, then.

I had Twins for years, and one of my favorites was an ancient Super Reverb combo with 4x10's.

These days, I cover that ground with a Carvin Belair. The clean channel is easily as good as any Fender for cleans, and if you already own one Wampler pedal, you know that he has a couple of pedals that will do anything you want through a clean channel. The Soak (gain) channel on my Belair has been modified (google Hasserl Mods) and sounds like a vintage Marshall. It's an open back 2x12 (the Nomad is the 1x12 version of the same amp) with 50W and it can be VERY loud.

I've also learned to cover the same ground (and have a lot more options) with a Pod HD, a power amp and a full-range speaker cabinet.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Damn. I've gotta find me some full stack stage props.

They're a lot lighter to carry around than the real things <G>.
And take up a lot less space on the truck.
i can't see spending more than $1000 on a fender tube amp.

i'd grab a dsl jcm2000 for joe's stuff. or a mod'd jmp, or an 800, or...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Most artists don't take on the road their recording rig as that is their moneymaker. This became prevalent pretty much after the 70s, as the older Fender, Marshall, etc. amps and guitars became more expensive and harder to find.

Usually you go on tour with something that is easily replaceable, repairable and could be found locally. A lot of these artists travel light and request from the promoter to bring the gear. I, personally had to rent my rig to an European artist's local promoters as he was coming through town with his guitar.

His rider was:
"Two channel, floorswitchabe tube amp (minimum clean/dirty channel), minimum 50 watts, more channels OK. Marshall DSL2000/JCM900/JCM800 preferred with a 4x12 cabin(minimum 120 watts). "

So the guy got to play a modded Ashdown Fallen Angel through 4x12 cab with Celestions G12H. From the promoter - he was pleasantly surprised to see that he didn't have to lug out his boost and fx since the amp has those built in and footswitchable. The previous night, at another venue the guy used a Peavey JSX or XXX, not sure from the picture, but that's what he was filmed with.

Anyway, from what I've read in interviews, a lot of guys, including JB, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore (RIP) used the JCM2000DSL to tour with.

As far as endorsements go - I am quite aware what you mean. For example, Dave Mustaine was at one time endorsed by Rocktron (Prophecy), Line6 (some Dave Mustaine series preamp / power amp thing) and toying with Marshall endorsement, which he eventually got. So what did he do? He was running the Prophecy, then "supposedly" bypassed the Line6 preamp section by hooking into fx return on the Line6, and was running the Line6 just as a power amp into Marshall cabs. His guitarist later revealed that he had converted him to Axe-Fx and they were running it direct into the board this whole time