Like the title. How do you guys compare a PRS Mira (not the S2) to an SG Standard?

Maybe I'm getting a couple of guitars and the PRS Mira appeals me VERY much. I have an SG Standard which I love...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Like the title. How do you guys compare a PRS Mira (not the S2) to an SG Standard?

Maybe I'm getting a couple of guitars and the PRS Mira appeals me VERY much. I have an SG Standard which I love...

Those were the exact 2 guitars I were choosing from before I ultimately went with the SG. Nothing against the Mira though since it could almost cop every SG tone and do its own thing. After 2 months of headbanging I decided the neck on the SG fit me better and had more of the classic sound I was going for. SG had more bite/snap and the Mira was a bit smoother sounding with a bit better sustain. Both are wonderful guitars. I'm sure I could swap my SG for a Mira and be just as happy.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 17, 2014,
I'd have a hard time justifying a Mira if I already had an SG I liked. They're both great guitars but I feel like they're similar enough that unless you're becoming a collector or a hoarder it's not really productive to have both. If you needed a backup guitar for gigs with your SG the Mira would be a good choice. But if it were me I'd get one of the other PRS offerings that wasn't so close to the SG.
well, like fender, gibsons just have a mojo thats hard to replicate. design, quality, pickups / parts etc. its just gibson. so if you really want a gibson you may just have to buy a gibson, or one of their very good quality clones from a great maker, like hamer or something or a dozen other brands that make gibson style clones. chances are, without actual gibson pups or clones of a PAF pickup, its still not going to be spot on.

that being said, i think like many things, for gibsons and fender, i think the prices are a tad bit higher than the quality you receive. the same can be said for PRS, but as a whole, i think PRS is a much finer instrument.

dollars and personal preference aside, comparing what is a "finer" instrument as a whole, i think anything from the USA PRS (higher end non S2) line will beat ANYTHING from the gibson line hands down every time.

so, mira > SG.

moreover - given that the normal mira is discontinued and the S2 mira is only available, i would probably say i would like the s2 still over a USA SG. i dunno, i need to see the S2 line in person.

but you can probably tell by my tone i really dont find most lower end gibsons to be good quality, and the higher end ones i see overpriced for what you get.

i spent a day in GC one day looking over SGs. i found most base line 700-800 standard models to be very sub par, and about 25% of them had defects. 1 had a TOM bridge that was straight up drilled into the body wrong. i mean, it was sitting at a 45 degree angle forward.

thats crap you dont even see on cheapo asian made guitars and the fact that was even allowed to be put on the rack is a disgrace. some had knobs that didnt work or didnt turn smoothly. as a whole, it made me sick. it actually made me much more proud to own an epiphone at the time.

given that i really like the PRS SE line, and the s2 line is about 1200, i would bet 100 bucks the average joe may find the s2 mira better. for 1200, your getting into a "fancier" SG than the 600-700 dollar standard models, but still.

PRS > gibson really in my book.

i am picky and biased. i would rather buy a Carvin (see my sig) than pay for anything in a guitar center.....so yeah. i am one of those guys. high standard, low budget, will research something for 1 year before making a decision. a complete wacko.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 17, 2014,
Quote by Roc8995
I'd have a hard time justifying a Mira if I already had an SG I liked. They're both great guitars but I feel like they're similar enough that unless you're becoming a collector or a hoarder it's not really productive to have both. If you needed a backup guitar for gigs with your SG the Mira would be a good choice. But if it were me I'd get one of the other PRS offerings that wasn't so close to the SG.

That's kind of what I was thinking (and I should add, I haven't tried a Mira ).

I suppose it depends on what type of guitar player you are- I like my different guitars to be different. But if you've found one style of guitar which suits you better than anything else to the extent that you don't enjoy playing other types of guitar, then it might make perfect sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995

+1 to all of this.

buuuut.

i've played a lot of nice Miras and Starlas. huge fan of them and i think partly because i don't get along with gibson (or any other copy) SG because of the balance and location of the lower curve. i just don't find them comfortable compared to LPs, teles, strats, V guitars.

but i've always been a fan of the all mahogany body, two humbucker guitar set up. so a mira and starla have always appealed to me and i've played or inspected a bunch.

so if you are happy with everything about your SG then it's probably the best route to take as you'd likely end up preferring the SG over the mira.

but if the SG lacks something like it does for me, then maybe a mira would be a better as you'd be gaining something you don't have or essentially changing something you don't like and upgrading. (i don't mean upgrade as if PRS>GIBSON, i mean upgrade as in fix something about your current situation).

plus SGs never came in a cool vintage orange like the mira did.

pluuus Miras can be found in korina without looking too hard.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 17, 2014,
Here is my situation guys. I'd probably get two more guitars (just because I can). One medium/high end (the one being discussed here) and one absolutely high end. I dig my SG a lot indeed but I already have it xD, so I want something close to it but not the same and the Mira seems one of the best candidates.

I'm not the kind of guitarist that sticks to one guitar and one amp, I enjoy having a LITTLE bit of variety and mahogany HH are like candy for me.

Not looking for a replacement but for another guitar somewhat similar to the one I have.

The highest end guitar I'll get will be more different...

Thank you for your input guys.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Greg's got a great point. The Korina Mira would be an awesome choice. Korina is very close to mahogany but it's got a bit more midrange character. It's hard to explain but if you like mahogany SG type guitars you should check it out.
i know Korina but didn't know there was a Korina Mira

Thank you!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
they did at least one run of them in '09. not sure if that's the only run but they do pop up from time to time. i think i saw one on thegearpage in the classifieds over the past year. there's one on the bay as well.

another prs option would be an older standard 22 or standard 24. those are all mahogany builds as well and can be had cheap, around $1000 used. i think you could get the rotary 5 way switch which would add some versatility to the mix.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you are going one mid/high and one high, get the SG for your mid/high and a PRS Private Stock for you absolutely high end.
i agree. you either are an SG guy or not. i always thought i wanted one from the first time i saw it, but when i strapped one up i was like "WHAAAA, nahhh". i dont like the strap button on the back, i think the balance is off, i even dont like the profile i see of the action / strings against the body visually, i just dont like em.

but they can sound good. i mean, i was BLOWN away by derek trucks when i saw him. i also see dweedilz zappa playing a custom one.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by samammay
If you are going one mid/high and one high, get the SG for your mid/high and a PRS Private Stock for you absolutely high end.

Those Private Stock guitars are absolutely beautiful. But even if it was given to me I'd be too paranoid to play one out. I would more likely keep it in a locked case in a locked closet The reason I got rid of my LP Custom was I was too worried about it being knocked over/stolen when I gigged with it. So I got rid of it. I have serious mental issues thinking about gear disappearing.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 17, 2014,
Well, the SG is comfortable for me and I love how it sounds. I don't have a problem with the balance since I have been playing a Viper-500 for more than 5 years, those are way heavier and with a more pronounced balance problem with the neck diving issue. I learned to manage it and my SG stays in position without any hassle.

About the really high end one I'll need to go to different stores and try as many guitars as I can before I make a decision. I'm specially interested in Maton MS2000DLX, Framus Diablo Supreme, ESP Mystique and PRS Custom 24... Like about 5k at max.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich