Hey, Ive been playing for 6 years and only recently have I started considering and thinking about guitar care/maintenance since the arrival of my new Charvel Ds-2, it has an unfinished neck. Anyway, the questions..

1) Im considering buying the Dunlop System 65 guitar maintenance kit, have any of you guys used it and what do you think? Will it last a decent year?

2) How often should you go through cleaning and using some products on your guitar? a few times a year?

3) How do you know when to clean/maintain the guitar? When the neck feels rough and the guitar is a little harder to play?

4) How long without strings can a guitar last before the neck tension changes? An hour? this is if I use the maintenance system, how long it should take

5) How does temperature and moisture change in the air effect the guitar? does it do damage? I live on an island where it can quickly change between hot and cold, hot one day, cold the next...

6) How do I go about Cleaning and removing sweat and dirt from an unfinished mahogany neck?

Sorry for the long questions but if you guys can help me answer these that would be great! Cheers
Last edited by Hogg111 at Feb 17, 2014,
Quote by Hogg111
Hey, Ive been playing for 6 years and only recently have I started considering and thinking about guitar care/maintenance since the arrival of my new Charvel Ds-2, it has an unfinished neck. Anyway, the questions..

1) Im considering buying the Dunlop System 65 guitar maintenance kit, have any of you guys used it and what do you think? Will it last a decent year?

2) How often should you go through cleaning and using some products on your guitar? a few times a year?

3) How do you know when to clean/maintain the guitar? When the neck feels rough and the guitar is a little harder to play?

4) How long without strings can a guitar last before the neck tension changes? An hour? this is if I use the maintenance system, how long it should take

5) How does temperature and moisture change in the air effect the guitar? does it do damage? I live on an island where it can quickly change between hot and cold, hot one day, cold the next...

Sorry for the long questions but if you guys can help me answer these that would be great! Cheers

1. I use the 65 kit , I clean & polish every string change.

2. refer to answer 1.

3 refer to answer 1.

4. I've never left my guitars unstrung longer than an hour. So I dont know.

5. It's wood, it absorbs moisture and dries out if he gets too hot, which causes cracking and splitting.... keep it in a maintained room temperature environment .
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
1) I have it and it is fine.

2) You can use as much as you want, just read their instructions. I wipe the strings
after every time I play and I do the fret conditioner and gunk cleanup every string change or as needed. There was a period that I did a few shows per week so I was running through a lot of strings.

3) You get buildup from your hand sweat, some dust on it, pick dust as well. Pretty much as you would on any other wood furniture.

4)I don't leave all the strings off, I change 3 per side, clean that side then swap.

5) Temp changes are definitely a problem. Where I live we have quite a few seasonal changes and is hot and humid, so from cold weather to hot for example your neck will get a little slack. You can get some humidity packs to control it if needed. Try to keep the temperature even of at least don't introduce the instrument to sudden change in temp.
The Dunlop 65 stuff is good. I use it here to clean my guitars before putting them back up on the wall. Also, I'd recommend using a good microfiber cloth. They won't scratch your finish like a cloth towel can and will.

Edit: My rule of thumb is, if I play a guitar, it gets cleaned that night, before going to bed. There's nothing like picking up a clean guitar the next day.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 17, 2014,
Quote by KG6_Steven
The Dunlop 65 stuff is good. I use it here to clean my guitars before putting them back up on the wall. Also, I'd recommend using a good microfiber cloth. They won't scratch your finish like a cloth towel can and will.

Edit: My rule of thumb is, if I play a guitar, it gets cleaned that night, before going to bed. There's nothing like picking up a clean guitar the next day.

Yup, like butter
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
The oil-finished neck on Charvel's shouldn't be touched by guitar polish, lemon oil or other stuff.

The only thing you can do to remove dirt of the neck is to wipe it down - or use steelwool or sandpaper on it. After you have done that however you need to refinish it with oil.

EDIT:

I noticed in another thread that you said you wiped the neck with a damp cloth. DO NOT expose the neck to damp conditions. Any excessive moisture will ruin the neck or severely shorten its life. Oiled maple is already prone to warping, Warmoth states 10% of them fails - which may well be a sales argument for getting a finished neck from them, but it is still clear that most manufacturers wouldn't sell a guitar with a plain unfinished neck.

My oil-refinish comment was in the case you used steelwool or sandpaper on it.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Feb 27, 2014,