Hello all, I currently have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp and I am looking to upgrade. Can any one recommend a decent solid state am around that size? I am looking to spend around $400.
"These strings will last longer and sound better because I said so."- Dave Mustaine
Quote by dvanhandel96
Hello all, I currently have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp and I am looking to upgrade. Can any one recommend a decent solid state am around that size? I am looking to spend around $400.

First, is there a specific reason you want SS?

Second:

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The Vox Valvetronix is a good line along with Vox VR series. I see both of them gigged pretty regularly for clean/jazz/light rock stuff. Peavey Vypr is pretty cool. Randall can give you some good convincing heavy stuff at low volume and still giggable. Only solid states I've had experience with that were very enjoyable.

I still wouldn't think coming from a Spider IV 75 would that big of an upgrade. Spider IVs are perfectly acceptable decent sounding solid states. I play mine more than my tube amps when I need an amp in the house without disturbing people in another room. You might want to pick up a 15-30 watt tube combo instead so you can cover all your bases in volume/tone. You can definitely find a good one for $400
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 17, 2014,
In before someone suggests peavey classic 30

But on a serious note, why does it have to be solid state?
if your into rock / blues, quilter labs makes a darn nice model. unless you want to run pedals through it clean, definitely not a metal amp.

really, very few amps made ever sounds great for heavy music that are solid state. arguably, dimebag is one of the only metal guitarist known for tone that used SS, and towards the end, he saw the light and starting getting endorsed for tube models.

even despite the SS, he still had equipment, tone, and playing ability that is pretty much impossible to replicate even if you did get his gear...so really i add him to the list of "dont even try".

im sure there are other examples, but i mean, dimebag has a famous tone. just a prime example.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I mainly play post rock and jazz.
the reason I'm looking to upgrade is because mine doesnt work right half of the time. I'm looking for something that I can gig with but can be quiet enough to use in my bedroom. My main guitar is an ESP LTD H-100 with Mighty Mite pickups tuned to D standard. I really like the clean sound from my Line6 and i use it a lot.
"These strings will last longer and sound better because I said so."- Dave Mustaine
Last edited by dvanhandel96 at Feb 17, 2014,
Used JC120?
Or some other used stereo JC's you could get for cheap.
If you mind the chorus, which seems to be pretty nice, get a stereo one, but if you don't get whatever JC you can find in your budget.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Peavey Bandit, old Yamahas, old Acoustics, Peavey Vypyr or XXL, Roland Jazz Chorus...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Fender Blues Deluxe
Charles Darwin
How are the Acoustic lead series amps?
Quote by dvanhandel96
How are the Acoustic lead series amps?

Sounds like a good solid state. Some dude commented he got one on Amazon for like 150 bucks.

http://youtu.be/DCxAubNl3is

I just have experience with their bass combos and they are killer for the price.
I was looking at the Acoustic Lead series 120 DSp and I think I will probably get it. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by dvanhandel96
I mainly play post rock and jazz.

I would be inclined to try a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight, if you can find one. Of the several small SS heads I have for jazz, this one will do post rock rather well too.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
JC120, or JC60 if trying to save a quid.

/thread
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Definitely the JC.

And the Classic 30 is good suggestion for lots of people Ian. Theyre excellent bang for buck, and cover really anything short of modern metal. They're good amps, that's why they're recommended so much.

However, for this situation, a solid state amp, namely the JC, fits the bill perfectly.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The new Randall RG serie are excellent but I really cant see it as Jazz or lower gain Rock amp. Its a metal amp and there it absolutely shines, but who knows maybe it can do those genres well. But I personally lack an ear for that.

Why not go tube combo? With your price range you should be able to nail a versatile little tube combo that is also usable in bedroom volumes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Roland Cube 80
Rolland JC-50 or JC-60 (not sure what the difference is, exactly).
That new Peavey Special Chorus is supposed to be pretty good. Probably weighs a ****ton though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hughes & Kettner Attax is a good SS especially if you're obsessed with Rush apparently.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I found an Acoustic Lead Series 120 watt head for $150, I'm thinking about buying it.
I have not been overly impressed with the Acoustic guitar amps. They seem to be on par with every other cheap solid state. The Roland Jazz Chorus will leave them in the dust.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Okay I'll see if I can find one.
The Roland is waaaaay better than the new Acoustic. If you want a good Acoustic you need to find an old one.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
What about an Ibanez WT80 80W 1x15 Wholetone Jazz Guitar Combo Amp ?
NFI man

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Haven't played that one, but Ibanez amps have never impressed me. One of the larger Roland Cubes would do well too
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Roland Cube for really good Jazz tones and reasonably good rock stuff.

Fender Super Champ XD (15w tube) does really good classic rock tones and reasonably good Jazz. It is just loud enough for a jazz gig with a pocket drummer..

Both are light years more musical than the Spider IMO. Can be found used for around $250.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 18, 2014,
The Peavey Stereo Chorus could be a good JC-120 substitute for a bit cheaper.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
The Peavey Stereo Chorus could be a good JC-120 substitute for a bit cheaper.

Or a Crate GX-130C or Ampeg's SS-140C.
Charles Darwin
Dunnow, the ampeg SS140 is amazing if you ask me, but the clean stuff isn't where it shines.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Dunnow, the ampeg SS140 is amazing if you ask me, but the clean stuff isn't where it shines.

Agreed, the cleans aren't of the same caliber as the Roland, but they aren't nasty either. The Crate actually straddles the line better than either of it's predecessors, IMO.
Charles Darwin
If have just bought the Roland Cube and that has brilliant clean sounds as well as selection of overdriven and distortion sounds. I got the 20w version but they do 10, 20, 40, 80. The clean channel is a model of the Jazz Chorus and is a superb sound. So if you like the Jazz Chorus type sound then add one of these to your audition list. I was all set on getting the Vox Valvetronix which is a nice little amp but the salesman said let me just demonstrate the two side by said and stand back and listen and see what you think. The Roland was awesome, don't get me wrong the Vox was a decent amp but the Roland had the edge in sound and versatility by a long shot. You also have a programmable channel so you can set your favourite settings and then just call tem up when you plug in and play, great amp, definitely worth a look at the very least.
Last edited by richards-keith at Feb 18, 2014,
Quote by richards-keith
If have just bought the Roland Cube and that has brilliant clean sounds as well as selection of overdriven and distortion sounds. I got the 20w version but they do 10, 20, 40, 80. The clean channel is a model of the Jazz Chorus and is a superb sound. So if you like the Jazz Chorus type sound then add one of these to your audition list. I was all set on getting the Vox Valvetronix which is a nice little amp but the salesman said let me just demonstrate the two side by said and stand back and listen and see what you think. The Roland was awesome, don't get me wrong the Vox was a decent amp but the Roland had the edge in sound and versatility by a long shot. You also have a programmable channel so you can set your favourite settings and then just call tem up when you plug in and play, great amp, definitely worth a look at the very least.

Yep, the Roland Cube is a more useable and better sounding amp than the Valvetronix to my ears. The Vox looks cooler though. Both sound better than a Spider IV.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 18, 2014,
Ok, there is only one solid state amp I have ever really liked...

If you can find an the original Line6 Flextone HD I would recommend it. Easy to use, versatile, and honestly it sounded decent. It would crank. I believe they also made that same amp in a 2x12 cab config as well...I think it was called the Flextone XL or Flextone PLUS but don't hold me to it.

I still don't think any of the iterations of the Flextone line has ever been better than the original...but that is just me.
: : : p u n k 0 m i : : :
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep, the Roland Cube is a more useable and better sounding amp than the Valvetronix to my ears. The Vox looks cooler though. Both sound better than a Spider IV.

Yeah definitely the Roland wins in sound and versatility hands down. I would maybe still like to get the Vox in a little while though because it did have a nice range of classic amp models on it and I'd like to get some with a classic sort of sound as well. The Roland is a much more modern sounding amp. I'm not too sure yet, I'm going to pay around with the Roland for a while and see what I like and don't like so much about it and then go from there. There's a good choice of amps catering for those classic sounds, the Yamaha THR10C is another but quite a bit more expensive. The Vox amps always do like pretty cool though and it's still nice to have an amp that's go some Valves as well, I don't know how much difference that ultimately makes with small amps, maybe a bit more with bigger amps and stacks but I reckon with the small amps the SS ones seem pretty good.