So i recently ordered a randall t2 head and randall 2x12 with v30 cause it was a good deal. I'm having second thoughts though. The evh 5150 iii combo seems to interest me a lot as it's also a pretty damn good metal amp. If I forgot to mention I play mostly metal. I'm looking for an amp I can use both in an apartment and use for jamming out. The evh seems badass cause it has a built in power soak so I can use 1-50 watts and it also has a headphone jack which the randall has neither. Really I'm not sure what I'm looking to get out of posting this but maybe some peoples opinions will guide my decision. What would you pick and why? And let me know if you have had experiences playing either.
Which model T2 out of curiousity, the larger (green T) or smaller (blue T)? Either way, it really depends, have any specific sounds in mind that you would like to cop?

I had a smaller T2 and it was bland, but I think the larger one is supposed to be better. The 5150 III is more hellacious amp, really good tones.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I gotcha, that one is better from what I understand. Well I imagine (I haven't played the 5150 III) that the T2 will be tighter, but this comes with a bit sterility. If you are playing anything beyond modern metal then I would say that the EVH is the way to go, but if you are looking for something to play very intricate, technical stuff then the Randall may be the way to go. I am actually considering getting a V2 soon, so FWIW I really like the Randall stuff, but there is no denying the versatility of the EVH and the fact that it is all tube and probably has a warmer sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
We'll my issue is I haven't played a t2 only heard but I've been impressed. It was Just a good deal. On the other hand I've played the 5150 iii combo and was really impressed. I mean I just plugged in to it in the store didn't even change the settings and it sounded amazing even at really low volumes. My biggest issue is getting over the whole evh logo. Not that I don't like van halen I do it's just I think it would sell more with metal guys if it said randall or some other brand. Just my .02
I tried the T2 and it impressed me specially on cleans and high gain. On the other hand I believe the EVH is more versatile.

If you want metal with cleans the T2 will do the job quite well. If you need a more diverse palette get the EVH.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
We'll because the head doesn't have the built in power soak the combo does.
Quote by Joeballz
We'll my issue is I haven't played a t2 only heard but I've been impressed. It was Just a good deal. On the other hand I've played the 5150 iii combo and was really impressed. I mean I just plugged in to it in the store didn't even change the settings and it sounded amazing even at really low volumes. My biggest issue is getting over the whole evh logo. Not that I don't like van halen I do it's just I think it would sell more with metal guys if it said randall or some other brand. Just my .02

wait......
the 5150/6505 amps are THE sound for metal. who gives a single shit what it says on it.

with that being said. the t2 amps are decent. loud as all get out but id say flip it and snag that 5150. you will NOT be disapointed .
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Joeballz

I literally don't know a single person who plays metal that owns a Randall amp.

I know A LOT of people who play metal that own an EVH, though...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I know I'm seriously leaning towards the evh considering I've played it and know what is capable of.
^ I know some people who use Randall, but yeah who gives a **** about which logo is on the amp.

Besides, if it really bothers you just take it off somehow.
You can take the logo off with 2 side screws if it bothers you that much. While your at it you might as well snap off the Fender logo beside the 5150. I"m sure that is "unmetal" too

Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 17, 2014,
What's selling me with the evh is that it has a 1 watt option and headphone jack, I'm gonna be moving out soon so I'm gonna have to keep it low, but I do need the option of playing loud as well.
I'd take the EVH, easily!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Why do you need the power soak? You intending to play ACDC on it and need the power amp distortion?

Get the EVH and if you'd prefer a head, get the head. Forget about this power soak nonsense.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Why do you need the power soak? You intending to play ACDC on it and need the power amp distortion?

Get the EVH and if you'd prefer a head, get the head. Forget about this power soak nonsense.

I was thinking the same thing. I had a 5150 III head for a year, & loved it. Any type of power soak device will likely sap some of the liveliness that makes the 5150 III so great. The power soak may be a nice feature for something, but probably not metal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
well i understand that but the idea of being able to use 1 watt in a apartment situation might be beneficial. I mean i tried it in the store at 1 watt and it sounded pretty heavy. Does anyone know how well the randall t2 sounds at a bedroom level?
Quote by Joeballz
well i understand that but the idea of being able to use 1 watt in a apartment situation might be beneficial. I mean i tried it in the store at 1 watt and it sounded pretty heavy. Does anyone know how well the randall t2 sounds at a bedroom level?

I haven't tried a T2, but the 5150 III even without the power dial-down feature sounded great at whisper volume.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
No it wouldn't be. That's not what an attenuator is for. An attenuator is to make a cranked amp produce even more power amp distortion, it's not for turning it into a bedroom amp. Why would you want power tube distortion? It's metal amp, you run the power amp clean. Forget about the power soak feature, on an amp like that it's a friggin gimmick aimed at the gullible
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No it wouldn't be. That's not what an attenuator is for. An attenuator is to make a cranked amp produce even more power amp distortion, it's not for turning it into a bedroom amp. Why would you want power tube distortion? It's metal amp, you run the power amp clean. Forget about the power soak feature, on an amp like that it's a friggin gimmick aimed at the gullible

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I decided to cancel my randall order, I ordered a 5150 iii 50 watt head and evh 2x12. I think I made a good choice. Randall was my second choice for some odd reason I never buy my first choice and I always regret it. Looking forward to getting this rig.
Last edited by Joeballz at Feb 18, 2014,