I know and can play the blues scale, natural minor scale, the 5 pentatonic minor scales, c major, g major, and a major scales. That's what was covered in my book besides the 12 Bar Blues Pattern. I know most songs in that genre are always in a minor key
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."- Bob Marley
The same scales as many other genres. With little exception, any scale can be used to make any genre. In fact, I'd say at least 95% of music is simply in the major or minor scale. And most other scales are just a one or two note change from those two.
You don't need to use certain scales for certain genre's, and if you did then the metalcore/post-hardcore genre would probably be the genre you'd least need scales for.. All you need is the open E string and some sick hammer-on and pull-off's on the A and D strings.
can you give me an example of a "sick" hammer-on and pull-off, there not too hard, just hard to find ones that sound...heavy? lol
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."- Bob Marley
Minor Scale
Harmonic Minor scale
Dorian Mode
Phrygian Mode
Diminished scale

Those, along with chromatic runs, basically cover everything in metal.
Quote by JacobyDB
can you give me an example of a "sick" hammer-on and pull-off, there not too hard, just hard to find ones that sound...heavy? lol

vayne's post is stupid, and there are no hammer-on's pull-off's that inherently sound a certain way. Getting something to sound heavy depends on the interaction of ALL of the instruments. You could take a single hammer/pull based guitar melody, and depending on the context of the instruments around it end up with something brutal, or something for a pop ballad, or something for a film score.