Hi everyone. I'm new to the UG forums and I need some advice. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, self-taught. I'm looking to buy a new guitar because I want to upgrade from my B.C Rich Bich.

I love listening to any genres of music but preferably hard rock, heavy metal, and classical (my starting foundation when I first started playing music). I mostly play heavy metal music such as Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Trivium, The Big 4, and etc.

My budget is around $600 ($700 is kinda pushing it). I've been looking at Schecter, Dean, ESP, Ibanez, Gibson (wish I could afford these), and Epiphone guitars but I cannot decide which one I should go for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S: I like to avoid getting odd-looking shapes like B.C Rich Warlock, Dean Razorback or V-Shaped guitars because I already have a Jackson Randy Rhoads Flying V.
Last edited by Mf Andrew at Feb 17, 2014,
I really like my schecter Synyster custom for metal, eBay has them used for pretty cheap (around $500). But my favorite all around guitar is my Gibson SG standard, its out of your budget but if you wanna save up its a great guitar I love it.
The best thing to do which I found out is look online and make a list of guitars you want to try out. Then go to guitar center and play all the ones you looked up. Once you picked the guitar check eBay and online for good deals. I did this exact method and saved a lot of money. Works with amps too.
The Fernandes direct sales website is having a clearance sale on limited quantities of their guitars. Prices are low, but when they run out, that's it.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/

I suggest the Dragonfly, Monterey, Ravelle or maybe the Revolver (especially of you like actives). Also check out the SHIN Ravelle. I have a Ravelle Goldtop LE with identical specs and it is a beast.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 18, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson all make great guitars in that price range that would work great for you. They all feel very different, it's not like one is better than the other, different body shapes, neck profiles, etc. all give the guitar a different feel. You really have to go down to a store and spend time picking them up. What kind of neck do you like? Thin, fat?
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Quote by mikeYekim
Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson all make great guitars in that price range that would work great for you. They all feel very different, it's not like one is better than the other, different body shapes, neck profiles, etc. all give the guitar a different feel. You really have to go down to a store and spend time picking them up. What kind of neck do you like? Thin, fat?

I personally like thin necks but I could work around with a fat neck. I've been fiddling around with my friend's Epiphone LP Standard so I could tolerate fat necks. I've been looking specifically at ESP and Ibanez. Anyone got any good suggestions from those? For ESP, I'm looking at the KH-330 and for Ibanez the Iron Label RGIR20E.