So I was just playing some Journey on my PRS SE custom 24, my hand was lying on the floating tremulo and I heard a small noise and noticed my hand shifted slightly.

After a closer look I am dumbfounded as to what the hell happened:

^^Note the bass E string! It is has gone spaghetti.

Things to note!!!
I JUST happened to take off the trem bar cover this afternoon to take a gander at the trem for kicks I guess. Since this inconceivable malfunction, the trem has mysterious and clearly shifted. The tremulo block is now angled towards the bass strings. The bass E string is clearly broken and all the other 5 strings went sharp. In the last picture, you can see how close the tremulo is to the body of the guitar, and when I pull up on the whammy now, it barely raises the note because the unit hits the body of the guitar in short order.

So do ya'll have any ideas? What happened and what needs to be done?
Last edited by JGM258 at Feb 17, 2014,
Well it looks to me like the screws that hold the tremolo to the guitar at the front of the bridge aren't all well seated. It almost looks like the screws at the higher strings are raised up and I see a shadow under them. Not sure if it's real or an allusion of the pic.
Moving on.....
Make sure all your screws are tightened and placed correctly as mentioned. I would put a new string on it and reset the trem again. To me it just looks like the E string unwound itself, it's happened to me a few times.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by KenG
Well it looks to me like the screws that hold the tremolo to the guitar at the front of the bridge aren't all well seated. It almost looks like the screws at the higher strings are raised up and I see a shadow under them. Not sure if it's real or an allusion of the pic.

Wow great eye! I took a closer and the screws are all level, just an illusion.
replace the string, it broke, thankfully the rest of the guitar looks fine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i'm fairly certain the Journey is at fault here.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

I knew someone was going to say that

My only concern is the angled block, it's still like that even though I took all the strings off. Unfortunately, I am very nooby when it comes to trems. Could I remove one FR spring without causing too much trouble? I'd like more whammy bar range than I had before the string break.
String broke and its not in balance. With no e string to pull the trem the springs are out of wack. You're lucky you didn't lose an eye!

edit

Does seem weird with all strings off it didnt reseat itself. Maybe jiggle it lightly? You could use 3 springs to make the trem lighter but you would have to resetup the whole trem which is a pain.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 17, 2014,
Check the screws in the back holding the spring claw in place. It seems like maybe one of the screws slipped and let the claw loose on one side. That would account for the block shifting like that. You may need to add some toothpicks to the screw hole and reinsert the screw to make it hold better.
Quote by gregs1020

ಠ_ಠ
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coldandhomeless
Nothing to worry about. Your first broken string? Lol

Not my first, I understand the physics of the notes going sharp and all that junk but the angled block was my main concern. I took all the springs off and unfortunately the block is still off angle, indicating it was off from the start. Not much I can do now without a new trem right?
The block is going to move without the tension of the E string. Are you saying you replaced the broken string and the trem is still not sitting correctly?
No, I removed all the strings and block is still angled. The same goes with out strings and FR springs, it's a no good trem/trem block.
The strings have to be on at full tension to pull the block the other way. Without the string tension or spring tension it's just sitting in there in whatever position you left it in.

Put new strings on, tune it. Then look at it again.
Same deal, with new strings, but no obvious problems. Has anyone else had a similar defect? I'm not too concerned about it as is, just surprised.
My top E went spaghetti a few days ago. I just put a new one on. Could be just a defective string.
[..BLACKFIRE..]