So, I had my electric guitar(Epiphone Les Paul Special II) since last year, and I still haven't completed a song yet. Now, I'm planning to take it seriously, since I have a week break from school, but I don't know any beginner songs to study. I listen to AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, RHCP. But I'd appreciate if you can suggest other band's songs to me. And since I'm not good at determining a good tab, I'd also appreciate if you can give me a link to an accurate tabs.

By the way, I also have an acoustic guitar. So, if you do know any songs, feel free to suggest. I'm not really great at plucking, but I want to get good at it. Any acoustic songs will do, but I would prefer pluck songs.

For every response that this thread get, you're helping me to work hard on becoming a great guitarist.
Many people make the mistake of learning how to play lead before rhythm maybe you should focus on learning your open chords before you get into lead guitar. I've never heard of a great lead guitarist that didn't have superb rhythm skills..
I've thought of that too. I tried to study "You and Me" by Lifehouse but didn't get to finish it. Now I'm planning to study Fast Car, or Make You Feel My Love. But do you have other songs to suggest?
Last edited by decapitator15 at Feb 18, 2014,
Many people do focus on lead initially, but that's because they generally see it as more enjoyable, which in a sense it can be, but you should in no way neglect rhythm and should try to appreciate the things you can't play and realize that one day with a lot of hard work you'll get there.

Anyways I'm gonna link you a bunch of songs i think you might enjoy learning based on your listed influences..

Shepherd of Fire - Awesome rhythm section and very heavy and old school. Ignore the solo though because there is no chance in hell you can play it.

Hail to the King - The rhythm section is just solid in time rhythm. Will help a lot tighten up your rhythm. The lead will most likely be too hard but you could give it a go. Don't get discouraged if you can't do it though.

Chapter Four - Solid rhythm with some cool melodic dual riffs here and there. Should pose a challenge. The solo will be too difficult for sure because the phrasing is exceptional.

Remenissions - This might be a challenge, but if you like it then give it a go.

Critical Acclaim - Excellent song for introducing you to lead playing. You will struggle with it, but it's good practice regardless.

Sanitarium - Need a say more? it's Sanitarium. There will be parts you can't play and other parts you can. Overall it's an excellent song.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - I don't think i need say more for this either. It's Metallica.

The Metal - Great introduction to hammer-on and pull-offs. It isn't too difficult, but it sounds so ****ing metal

We All Wanna Go Home - A song not many people have heard. Great introduction to lead and rhythm.

Aerials - Played in Drop C, but such a damn good song

Arms of Sorrow - This is played in Drop C also i believe, but i love this song. It isn't too difficult, but i can see area's you will struggle with.

Anyways, there's some songs that will pose a challenge, but with practice you should be able to play them alright and probably as a beginner be somewhat satisfied. I know there's a lot of Avenged Sevenfold haha, but I'm just linking a lot of the stuff I used to practice and songs i know really. Hopefully you enjoy 1 or 2 of them
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 18, 2014,
Since we're recommending songs beyond TS' tastes, I say Fade to Black by Metallica. Take it slow and steady and you should find your picking improve immensely. This was one of my breakthrough songs.
Highway To Hell is a great start, the first song i learnt was Nightrain by GNR, basically any AC/DC song, also the great guitarist thing, learn by ear if you wanna be great but that's up to you, crossroads by cream is simple enough too
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
if you like video games and anime I also recommend looking up gametabs website and searching your favorite stuff, a lot of it is easy to play and comes in a variety of techniques and styles while still making you feel like you are progressing.

Back in black was probably my first rock song I learned. Black Sabbath has great stuff too that isn't very difficult, nothing beats jamming out to mr crowley.
Quote by vayne92
Many people do focus on lead initially, but that's because they generally see it as more enjoyable, which in a sense it can be, but you should in no way neglect rhythm and should try to appreciate the things you can't play and realize that one day with a lot of hard work you'll get there.

Anyways, there's some songs that will pose a challenge, but with practice you should be able to play them alright and probably as a beginner be somewhat satisfied. I know there's a lot of Avenged Sevenfold haha, but I'm just linking a lot of the stuff I used to practice and songs i know really. Hopefully you enjoy 1 or 2 of them

Use some spoilers next time.
baab
Quote by My Last Words
Use some spoilers next time.

I actually never knew what they were called haha, but now that i do.. fixed
I'm not really a fan of metal, more of a rock kind of guy(not complaining), but some of the songs you guys suggested looks somewhat easy, and picked my interest. Thanks! But anyone who still wants to suggest songs, keep 'em coming! I really prefer rock songs(not trying to sound picky or anything, just to be clear). Rock on! \m/
Thought I'd offer some less-metally suggestions.

Led Zeppelin:
A lot of their acoustic stuff is quite easy, though generally a bit more strummy. Tangerine comes to mind. The Rain Song is the easiest one I've tried (using http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/the_rain_song_tab.htm), though retuning the guitar is annoying. If you're willing to try finger picking or hybrid picking, Stairway to Heaven isn't too hard (particularly as most people probably wouldn't notice if you played a D rather than a D/F#).

Their electric stuff generally has a lot of bends, which could present issues depending on how good you are, but apart from that the riffs are often quite simple. I'd just pick something that you like and have a go. The Rover might be a good one to try (a few bends, but you can probably make it sound reasonable without them; obviously I'm assuming that you're leaving the solos for now). You could even do Dazed and Confused's bass part on a normal guitar.

Other bands:
Unfortunately I haven't tried anything by any of the other bands that you mention. AC/DC's stuff doesn't look too difficult. Lots of power chords.

Wish You Were Here is a good one. Mainly strumming, but the intro has a bit of picking. House of the Rising Sun?

(I don't know what rules there are about linking to other sites, so I've avoided posting tabs. Generally all the 5* ones here are pretty much fine though.)
You may find buying Rocksmith 2014 useful. Don't bother checking the track list, just buy the PC version and take a look at rscdlc.com and customsforge.com for custom songs that people have made available. There's over 2500 custom songs available.

Rocksmith 2014 also has a feature called Session Mode which allows you to play lead, rhythm and bass guitar with a virtual band so you can experiment with chord progressions and solos.

I've found it very useful in encouraging me to practice regularly and there's a wide variety of lessons and techniques to learn as well as Guitarcade mini games which help to develop muscle memory. It's great imo.
Do you really think buying Rocksmith 2014 is ideal for beginners like me? Because, based on some posts, when first learning guitar, Rocksmith isn't ideal, and some say it isn't good at all because you'll have a different approach on studying guitar. I'm not sure about this. Glad to hear your opinion.
Quote by decapitator15
Do you really think buying Rocksmith 2014 is ideal for beginners like me? Because, based on some posts, when first learning guitar, Rocksmith isn't ideal, and some say it isn't good at all because you'll have a different approach on studying guitar. I'm not sure about this. Glad to hear your opinion.

Rocksmith, Rockprodigy.com, etc. are all tools. As you learn to play, hopefully you will use many sources to see what ultimately works for you. As a beginner too, I use justinguitar.com for self teaching. He is easy to learn from and has a good style. You can never have too many learning resources.
"You're an individual and so are all of these guitars – it's really difficult for somebody else to tell you what's going to be right for you." - Revenge of the Naked Ape
Rocksmith is great for beginners. 2014 added in a ton of lessons too. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but acdc's hells bells is easy and so is twisted sister's we're not going to take it.